Author Topic: US firm says handheld puke ray is ready to go: Pistol style chunder-gat  (Read 4469 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
It took me a while to stop laughing at this one.

Wouldn't this bee the best interrogation device?  "Spill your guts, Mohamed, or I'll make you spill your guts..."

I eagerly await the follow-on technology, which induces hysterical fits of involuntary flatulence and/or defecation on the target, tentatively named the "Poo Pistola."

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/06/01/laser_energetics_puke_ray/print.html

A US industrial laser company says it has developed a functional puke-ray system, ideal for use by cops or military personnel wishing to take down their opponents without shooting them. The firm proposes to issue the "non lethal light fighting technology" in two form factors - light-sabre/torch and blaster-pistol.

The so-called Dazer Laserâ„¢ technology comes from Laser Energetics Inc (http://www.laserenergetics.com/history.htm), of New Jersey, which has been supplying more conventional laser equipment since 1991. Now, however, the company is pleased to announce its new Defenderâ„¢ and Guardianâ„¢ chunder-beam weapons.

According to Laser Energetics' statement:

These non-lethal weapons have the ability to control the threat at ranges of 1 meter to 2400 meters (model dependent). The Dazer Laserâ„¢ - Light Fighting Technologies - emit a green “eye safe” laser beam, that is shaped into approximately a 1 foot to 8 foot Dazer Zoneâ„¢ (model dependent) which when focused on the threats eyes, the threats vision is temporarily impaired, their balance is effected, and they become affected by nausea. This controls the threat making it difficult for them to manoeuver. The Ultimate Non – Lethal Weapon.

"This life saving non-lethal weapon will help all branches of the military, law enforcement, correctional facilities, security, border patrol, piracy control, homeland security, airport security and much more," says Laser Energetics CEO Robert Battis.

Battis says that his regurge-ray weapons are better than the well-known Taser electrojolt stungun as they have a longer effective range and aren't single-shot. If an embattled cop, soldier etc. misses the target at first he can simply swing the dazzle-beam onto his opponent's face and leave him slipping and stumbling helplessly in a self-generated chunky puddle.

The Defenderâ„¢ is the ray-pistol model, perhaps effective to 2400m; the Guardianâ„¢ is the cylindrical job which emits its belly-scrambling dazer rays from one end like a torch. The Guardianâ„¢ will work out to 100m, according to the Laser Energetics pdf brochure (http://www.laserenergetics.com/pdf/dazerlazerbrochure.pdf). Both models also have a "searchlight" illumination mode - presumably without the nauseating special sauce. There's no word yet on price.

It seems that there may be countermeasures that would have some effect against Dazerâ„¢-toting government goons. The company specifies that both models "can control the threat with the threat's eyes shut, making it difficult for them to manoeuvre". No mention is made of tactical possibilities involving mirrors, reflective sunglasses etc.

One question does spring to mind here. Do the rival puke-ray programmes at the Department of Homeland Security (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/07/27/dhs_chunder_cutlass/) and the US Navy (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/03/07/us_navy_project_cookie_toss/) know about this?
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

roo_ster

• friend
Also, the possibilities for crowd/riot control are both interesting and unhygienic.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

HankB

• friend
Unless the target is an epileptic - seizures can be brought on by flashing lights in susceptible individuals - this is so much nonsense.

(Is this a recycled press release originally dated April 1?)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
I believe I saw a similar unit on the History Channel.  If I recall correctly, it used LEDs as the light source and was marketed as a means of non-lethal control and cell extraction for prisons.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
I say we test out the Poo Pistol on Ned !!   :police: :police: :police:
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

• friend
I only hope it's not fielded in the next few years. 

Let's see-

before I can carry pepper spray, I have have to be sprayed.

before I can carry a Taser, I have to be tased.

before I can carry a puke ray gun, I have to do what?   :O

Lennyjoe

• friend
Didn't they have something to that effect in the movie Minority Report?

roo_ster

• friend

There are some people for whom the application would be ill-advised.

Sure, Ned might generate what you'd normally expect.  But, he's just as likely to generate some Alien-esque critter that will then jump up and attach itself to your face.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

go_bang

I wonder how long it will be until someone develops a pair of sunglasses that defeats the thing.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
I wonder how long it will be until someone develops a pair of sunglasses that defeats the thing.

It would need to be made of LCD shutters that blink at the appropriate rate to cancel out the flashes. Not too technically difficult.

OTOH, just having the outside world blink on and off at the "magic puke frequency" may trigger the unwanted emesis.  =|

Honestly though, I can't imagine that there's ANY combination of frequencies that would trigger nausea instantly, or incapacitate as fast as a taser will, or pepper spray. Or like pepper spray, it will be equally effective on everyone. I suspect that this company is presenting some cherry-picked best case data.
I promise not to duck.

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
Mirror shades and the guy firing it will join in on the fun.  :laugh:

freedom lover

• resident high school student
  • "Who is the Coon?"

Who the hell is Ned?

Didn't they have something to that effect in the movie Minority Report?

The "sick sticks", basically a collapsible baton that could make someone barf when it was moved near them and activated.

HankB

• friend
It would need to be made of LCD shutters that blink at the appropriate rate to cancel out the flashes. Not too technically difficult.
Even simpler - it's a green laser, probably a frequency-doubled Nd:YAG, so the wavelength would be around 532nm. So all they'd need would be a set of glasses with either a dichroic filter to reflect that wavelength, or (even simpler) a set of filters that would absorb that wavelength.

Laser safety glasses are commercially available that will provide an optical density of 7+ at 532nm, rendering the device pretty much useless.

Even if the barf ray wasn't a hoax.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Antibubba

• friend
I fear for the lives of the police the first time they face a rioting crowd of bulemics.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
Even simpler - it's a green laser, probably a frequency-doubled Nd:YAG, so the wavelength would be around 532nm. So all they'd need would be a set of glasses with either a dichroic filter to reflect that wavelength, or (even simpler) a set of filters that would absorb that wavelength.

Laser safety glasses are commercially available that will provide an optical density of 7+ at 532nm, rendering the device pretty much useless.

Even if the barf ray wasn't a hoax.

No, it's a bunch of high intensity RGB LEDs flashing at several different frequencies.  When I saw it on Cable TV, the effect was obviously lost because of the 60 Hz refresh rate of NTSC broadcast, and the colors were smearing together into a pinkish white. They only showed it for a second out of concern that epileptics could be affected even with the video signal de-tuned like that.

However, even my "white" LED flashlights set to strobe are pretty disturbing. (In reality, blue LED, with yellow phosphor mix...) So I believe this will work. Although I find myself extremely skeptical that it would work quickly enough to incapacitate criminals or rioters etc.

You're thinking of the hodge-podge mix 532nm DPSS green laser dazzlers/blinders and commercial pen pointers currently employed by U.S. forces as a last ditch method to stop unresponsive traffic at checkpoints, or scare them out of VBIED/suicide range when riding in convoy. They're desperate for any way to get the nominal crazy-ass Middle Eastern drivers to slow down and stop. Since the road anarchy and general empassioned gesticulation by everyone, even in peacetime, makes anything short of bullets a chancy stopper for an otherwise innocent lead-foot and his hapless family in the passenger seats over there.

The other thing they've gone to is the .38 caliber pilot-rescue pen-flares. They approximate a tracer pretty well.

If there were a job that entailed shining my green lasers, or shooting warning flares at drivers acting like jerks here in the U.S., I think I'd have to pay them to take that job...    =D
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 04:37:51 PM by AJ Dual »
I promise not to duck.

Berettababe

well that is great, now the next tea party, oh excuse me I meant "dangerous right wing riot" can be broken up with all of us puking our guts out.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
well that is great, now the next tea party, oh excuse me I meant "dangerous right wing riot" can be broken up with all of us puking our guts out.

We had a tea party in our small town. One of the councilwomen accused us of being scary to her constituents. According to her, we were basically the KKK. She'd like to use the puke ray against us, I'm sure
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

HankB

• friend
No, it's a bunch of high intensity RGB LEDs flashing at several different frequencies. 
???

From the original post:

The Dazer Laserâ„¢ - Light Fighting Technologies - emit a green “eye safe” laser beam,

They also claim a range of up to 2400 meters . . . no LEDs on the market today can be collimated sufficiently to be effective at a range of over a mile in a handheld device.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
???

From the original post:

They also claim a range of up to 2400 meters . . . no LEDs on the market today can be collimated sufficiently to be effective at a range of over a mile in a handheld device.

Ah, then it's not the device I saw.

Then yah, lenses with a high OD at 532 would work just fine.

Hell, even unrated  red celophane cuts my 30mW green DPSS laser down to almost nothing. I'm still skeptical about the "puke frequency" though. I suspect it's just a blinder/dazzler and extended exposure causes some people to have nausea.  If there really was a potent and immediate "puke frequency" I think someone would have happened on it already, and would have been using it for pranks or whatever...
I promise not to duck.

HankB

• friend
I suspect it's just a blinder/dazzler and extended exposure causes some people to have nausea
Yes - ith a good dash of marketing hyperbole thrown in.