Author Topic: somebody stop me (from buying a kel-tec)  (Read 2774 times)

geronimotwo

• friend
somebody stop me (from buying a kel-tec)
« on: June 05, 2009, 07:29:07 AM »
i've been looking for a pocket pistol, and really had myself convinced that i would get a kahr. suddenly, everywhere i look, it seems that there are sporadic problems with their lighter models. the next choices on my list are the small kel-tec 9's. any negative thoughts besides asthetics? have any larger folk found these impractical for pocket carry (i'm over 6' at 230lbs). i have put the p-11 in my pocket and it is a definetly noticable bulge, am i kidding myself with my desire to retain the 9mm platform?

as a little background i already carry a smith 39-2, which i really like. it fits my hand, and points perfectly for me. what i have problems with is summer concealment and sweat. i do a lot of outdoor work in the summer, mostly in a tee and shorts, pocket carry seems to be my only option. everything i have read shows the kt's as being very reliable. as sweat is unavoidable, what finish and holster are better for corrosion control? any other concerns?

i would prefer the opinions of those with actual experience, thanks.

g2
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

mtnbkr

• friend
Re: somebody stop me (from buying a kel-tec)
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 07:58:53 AM »
The P11 I fired worked well enough and the P32 I owned for several years was reliable and accurate.  I eventually cracked the frame rail running very hot loads through it, but it still worked with the cracked rail (discovered during a detailed strip/clean).  KT replaced the frame and much of the guts free of charge.  It was reliable till I sold it in 2006 (replaced it with my current carry, a S&W 37-2).

Get the stainless slide (if available) and enjoy.

Have on considered a stainless revolver?  Maybe a j-frame 357mag such as the S&W 60?  Fewer rounds, but more power per shot.

Chris

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 08:02:51 AM »
Why would I stop you?
I've got the P3AT and love it. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009, 08:44:50 AM »
I have a P32 and a Sub9 carbine. I wouldn't stop you either.
I promise not to duck.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2009, 09:50:03 AM »
I have a late-model PF-9. It's been dead reliable for hundreds of rounds; even my XD's hiccuped a bit on the break-in period. Nothing else in 9mm is as small and light. Considering it's extremely cheap I can recommend it heartily.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2009, 10:13:48 AM »
My XD's didn't hiccup at all.  :) 

I have had a Kel-Tec P32 for many years and it has never given me problems.  It is a good little gun to have when you don't want to carry something bigger.  I think everyone should have one. 

I still have a Kahr P9.  It can be very temperamental when I mess with it, but it is very accurate.  It is normal reliable if I keep it very clean.  If I shoot it, even just a few rounds, and don't clean it and lube it, I can't trust it the next time I pick it up.  The normal hang up is getting the next round fed into the chamber.  I don't carry it much.  My CZ 75 P01 is a little bigger and heavier, but much more dependable.  IMO, there are other 9mm pistols that are slightly bigger and heavier than my Kahr that are more reliable carry guns.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Fjolnirsson

• friends
  • The Anti-Claus
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2009, 10:16:14 AM »
I love my P-11. Did you put it in your front pocket, or rear? Front pocket would create a serious bulge. Rear works ok, and I have carried mine that way a few times. It's ideal in a smartcarry, or a lightweight IWB holster. Not so much a pocket gun though, IMO.
Hi.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2009, 10:17:38 AM »
I have a Bersa Thunder .380 that I pocket carry. I have been thinking about a .380 keltec as something smaller.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2009, 11:15:13 AM »
it is a definetly noticable bulge

I bet it is. /salacious wink
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2009, 11:26:19 AM »
Year's ago when I switched from IWB to pocket carry my initial choices were small sub-compact auto pistols. I tried both Kahr and Kel-Tec models at the store to see if 1) they'd fit in my pocket and 2) if I could get it out quickly.

Both fit. Neither could be presented quickly.

The presentation problem resulted from my habitual choice of jeans to wear. Horizontal right front pocket - the pistol would hang up on withdrawal. Wearing slacks with an angled right front pocket and presentation was not an issue but since I mostly wear jeans I decided to go with a S&W 638. Easy and quick presentation regardless of pocket style.

So...
If you wear jeans much, in my experience a pocket revolver works better than a pistol.
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2009, 11:28:53 AM »
I thought I would pocket carry, but I rarely do.  My P3AT fits IWB like there is nothing there.  I can wear it tucked into swim trunks if I pull the drawstring nice and tight.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2009, 11:33:42 AM »
I thought I would pocket carry, but I rarely do.  My P3AT fits IWB like there is nothing there.  I can wear it tucked into swim trunks if I pull the drawstring nice and tight.

+1. Unless I'm wearing pants with enormous pockets, pocket carry just doesn't work well for me. A lot of people think IWB carry defeats the "point" of a P-3AT, but it's my favorite way to carry it. Disappears under any shirt, I can't even tell it's there, and it's much easier to get at than if it were in my pocket. When I'm dressed for it I carry an XD9, but other times I put the P-3AT on.

Jamis, what IWB holster do you use for your P-3AT? The slide-holster I currently use needs to go, as it sometimes randomly engages the magazine release.

For the OP, my P-3AT is great and quite reliable now, but it required a trip back to the factory to get that way. And overnight shipping from Utah to Florida isn't cheap  :|. I wish they'd get their initial quality control fixed.

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2009, 11:39:31 AM »
I have a Bersa Thunder .380 that I pocket carry. I have been thinking about a .380 keltec as something smaller.

I've got both, and like both. The Kel-Tec is about half the size and weight from the perspective of what it "feels like" (don't have the actual specs off the top of my head). Kel-Tec goes nice in a "Galco" pocket holster (which even after having been worn in by the Kel-Tec, will also fit a Berretta "bobcat" or "tomcat" nicely)
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

zahc

• friend
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2009, 11:40:49 AM »
A lot of people think IWB carry defeats the "point" of a P-3AT, but it's my favorite way to carry it. Disappears under any shirt, I can't even tell it's there, and it's much easier to get at than if it were in my pocket.

I agree completely. I carry my PF9 IWB in a mouspad holster. It's extremely convenient, can wear it under a big Tshirt, and it's way more accessible IMO than pocket carry.

My big problem with pocket carry is that I can't carry in the pocket without displacing my other equipment, such as knives, flashlights, keys etc, all of which I have been carrying in the same places on my body since way before I was carrying a gun around. And since I can't carry a gun all the time (university), I would have to leave said pocket empty a lot, or else at any point it could have different things in it, some of which go bang and some of which don't. No, for me, guns belong on the hip, no matter what size.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2009, 12:00:09 PM »
My P3AT might be my favorite firearm.

No one knows you have it, and you don't have to make any special clothing previsions to pocket carry.

If you're somewhere where carry is against local policy - for instance a college campus - it's absolutely ideal.  It just looks like an iPod or a PDA.  Do not use this advantage to carry somewhere where it is illegal to do so; you're gun rights/freedom isn't worth it.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2009, 12:14:02 PM »
Anyone have any experience with the little "in front of the offhand hip" crossdraw hoslters? I'd love to try it with a snubbie, but it just seems like it would dig into your stomach.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2009, 03:08:20 PM »
Ruger LCP.  Same size and weight but the workmanship and materials are much better.  I carry one daily in a DeSantis pocket holster.  Price is roughly the same, too.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2009, 05:08:28 PM »
I have a 3AT and really like it.  Reliable and the first shot is dead on at 7 yards, and the rest of the mag are close by.  The only negative is the trigger slap.  I have fat fingers so it doesn't bother me much.  My wife sold hers because of the trigger bite.

Look at the Ruger version.  It is almost identical and is supposed to be better than the Kel Tec.....chris3

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2009, 06:44:07 PM »
i would agree with the apparent quality of the ruger lcp being better than the kt. it really does seem to disapear in the pocket as well. i have been trying to justify staying with the 9mm rather than dropping to the 380. the pf9 fits my pocket pretty well, and i would consider an iwb if i found one i liked.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2009, 07:42:23 PM »
I got mine, as well as a 2-magazine pocket holster from a custom maker in Utah.
http://www.hbeleatherworks.com/
My second purchase from Eric.  Had a holster for a Taurus from him once upon a time, too, and it was high quality.
This one is an IWB belt clip holster, but it has a horn on it so I can drop the same holster in my pocket and use it as a pocket holster.  The double mag pouch drops in my pocket and has a horn on it too, so for a mag change I can just reach in my pocket and grab the next one.
JD

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2009, 09:08:40 PM »
Well, the Ruger LCP's fit and finish may be better, but IIRC Kel-Tec P3AT never had a recall... http://ruger.com/LCPRecall/index.html   :lol:

I promise not to duck.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2009, 09:59:30 PM »
Well, the Ruger LCP's fit and finish may be better, but IIRC Kel-Tec P3AT never had a recall... http://ruger.com/LCPRecall/index.html   :lol:

KT should have issued recalls based on what I've heard (never had a problem with mine, but seems lots of folks did).  KT handled problems on a individual basis, while Ruger just said "send them all in and we'll fix them all".

Chris

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2009, 10:27:31 PM »
KT should have issued recalls based on what I've heard (never had a problem with mine, but seems lots of folks did).  KT handled problems on a individual basis, while Ruger just said "send them all in and we'll fix them all".

Chris

I'm aware Kel-Tec has made changes to the P3AT and updated/repaired several, I was mainly being humorous. Although as to handling problems as "changes" and "voluntary upgrades if you need/want them" Glock and plenty of other top-shelf mfg's handle it that way... (shrug)

And in terms of the LCP, the P3AT, the PF9, the PPS, the P32, and the PM9, IMO all small polymer framed autos are very susceptible to operator/hold issues, because of weight, slide-mass, and polymer flex already absorbing a certain percentage of recoil thrust needed for operation. And while I'm sure many were legitimate failures, I have a sneaking suspicion many were sent in by people who were utterly adamant that "I don't limp-wrist"...

But if you put those "malfunctioning" pistols in a Ransom rest or similar, a fair percentage would have functioned just fine.

I also see about as many people saying "I bought micro-auto XYZ for a song from a guy who warned me it was a lemon, and I have had no problems.)
I promise not to duck.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2009, 12:46:16 AM »
I own three KTs:
P-40 (P-11 turned into a .40SW steroid freak, no longer made)
2x P-32 (.32ACP, one for me, one for my wife)

The P-40 started off a drama queen, but a throat polish job made it reliable.  Kicks like a mule...I'm talking ".357mag in a scandium snubby" recoil.

The P-32s have all been reliable as rocks.  Best dang .32ACP pocket pistol out there, IMO.

If you are going to carry in your front pocket, the PF-9 is the way to go.  I do carry my P-40 in some pockets, but they have to be generous.  It is more likely to ride on my ankle or IWB Mexican-style, due to the side clippy deal.

Other than the Rohrbaugh for big bucks, there is no 9mm comparable to the KT PF-9, size & wt-wise...the closest is the KT P-11.

OTOH, the weapon most likely to ride in my front pocket is my Taurus .357mag titanium snubby, the 651SH2. In retrospect, I'd likely get a SW642, due to the greater availability of accessories, especially holsters.  There is a reason snubbies have been wildly popular for decades.

I tote the P32 as a last resort, or as a backup to a more substantial ankle-carry weapon.

If you do have a problem, KT will make it right.  Their customer service is second to none. 

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

jdoc

• I don't know!
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2009, 03:57:23 PM »
EDC a kel-tec p-11 IWB and after you get used to it the little 11 round 9 millimeter seems like its not even there. Can hide it under almost any t-shirt or button shirt. So I'm gonna have to agree with every body else why would I try an stop you. :laugh: :laugh: