Author Topic: Saw Quenton Tarentino's Kill Bill Vol 1  (Read 6296 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Saw Quenton Tarentino's Kill Bill Vol 1
« on: June 06, 2009, 01:38:49 AM »
Not sure if I'm going to see Vol 2.

I thought Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction & True Romance were some wild (& violent), quirky, and showed some mad talent. 

KBv1 was just a mess.

I haven't seen it, but I can predict it: Uma Thurman's character takes another two hours to cut up the remaining people on her list.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
Re: Saw Quenton Tarentino's Kill Bill Vol 1
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2009, 02:56:31 AM »
It's a LOT more story-driven.  I liked II a lot better than I.

Almost as if Tarentino said "She's got five people to kill.  Two of them can be done with in a hurry, but I want it to be violent.  Let's get all of that out of the way in the first one, then in the second we can take a minute or two to actually explain what's going on here."

It has a plot.  Characters, music, etc. are far better.
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2009, 10:24:58 AM »
I thought Kill Bill was an absolutely brilliant movie.

I think after Pulp Fiction it is easily the best thing Tarentino has done.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2009, 10:37:42 AM »
I thought Kill Bill was an absolutely brilliant movie.

I think after Pulp Fiction it is easily the best thing Tarentino has done.

I wasn't that crazy about Kill Bill, although I was a bit preoccupied at the time I watched it. I love most of QT's other films (yes, even Grindhouse: Planet Terror and Deathproof) so maybe I'll give it another try.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2009, 02:36:18 PM »
I saw KBv2 first, in the theater, and liked it much more than KBv1 on home video.  I saw v2 again on Video, and still felt it was superior.

The Lonely Grave of Paula Schultz is masterful a masterful scene, and ties in wonderfully with the Bride's warrior training in Japan.
v2 also has some character development around Budd (Michael Madsen), Bills brother; and the shows the Bride's "compassion" as she defeats Elle Driver (Daryl Hannah).

Volume 2 is less bloody and much more intellectual than v1.
Volume 2 is very bloody, violent and twisted, but more intellectual.
7-11 was a part time job.

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2009, 03:29:00 PM »
I thought the Kill Bill movies were terrible and retarded.
Pulp Fiction was extremely dumb and boring.

Never understood peoples' love for this guy's movies.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2009, 03:38:32 PM »
I loved pulp fiction. It's brilliant.

I see what he did there.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2009, 04:28:46 PM »
Weirdness has a quality all its own.

When you jumble up the scenes of your film by accident, you're a n00b film-maker. When you did it on purpose, you're an artiste.  :laugh:

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2009, 05:12:39 PM »

Same here....he seems to be trying to imitate Sam Peckinpah....but with more gore and less talent....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2009, 05:25:50 PM »

When you jumble up the scenes of your film by accident, you're a n00b film-maker. When you did it on purpose, you're an artiste.  :laugh:
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like? ???
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2009, 07:06:05 PM »

Never said they were weird, just bad.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2009, 02:41:27 AM »
The staging, cinematography, and choreography, of the final fight between The Bride and Oren Ishisii is simply magnificent.

The bamboo fountain that provides counterpoint in several sections, almost a heart beat, just blew me away.

The music track backing it, almost a latin/Southwestern style, makes me think of some of the music in the Spaghetti westerns.

I'm really sorry that some people didn't like this movie.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2009, 02:48:04 AM by Mike Irwin »
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2009, 06:49:32 AM »
I thoroughly enjoyed the Kill Bill movies. Blood, gore and revenge involving swordplay, guns, bare hands and anime. What more could you ask for?  :lol:

I found the hospital scene particularly disturbing. That's probably because I don't like hospitals and it played on that to a high degree.

I hope Tarantino makes a Vol. 3.
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2009, 09:57:45 AM »
Ironic that we're discussing this thread just under the one poking fun at Carradine.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2009, 09:58:59 AM »
Advanced craft and dazzling technology in the execution of the meretricious is still the meretricious.  Tarantino, who once had dark and devilish wit, has descended into crude Grand Guignol (too much coke?).  In that of course he is symptomatic of our times, the times when Grand Theft Auto can sell half a billion dollars of video mayhem in a week.

We can keep telling ourselves that we are not what we watch.  But we are.

"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2009, 10:51:53 AM »
Didn't think much of KBv1.

KBv2 was better, though some parts were so ridiculously over-the-top (such as when Uma Thurman, using her magic blade, cut through a whole company of Yakuza-types) they became laugh-out-loud comedic . . . I wonder if it was meant to lampoon the "invincible army of one" scenes from Commando?

And the part where The Bride was carrying her sword on a commercial airline flight?  :O That crossed the line into the absurd.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2009, 10:52:08 AM »
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2009, 11:18:44 AM »
I'll take HERO over KILL BILL any day.
"Domari nolo."

Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2009, 11:54:17 AM »
Watched Pulp Fiction, and made it maybe halfway through Resevoir Dogs. I can't stand Tarentino, although Inglorious Bastards is tempting me to try again.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2009, 11:55:32 AM »
"And the part where The Bride was carrying her sword on a commercial airline flight?  shocked That crossed the line into the absurd."

Well, it wasn't meant to be a docudrama. I saw that as Tarentino's homage to the era of the samurai, where for a samurai to be without his swords was unthinkable. It was not only a badge of rank and authority, it was a quasi-religious symbol, much as the Crusader's sword was a symbol of the cross.

Let's face it, the Bride taking on something like 90 armed warriors at the same time and coming out a winner, then almost getting her clock cleaned by a teenage girl in a catholic school uniform? Pure literary symbolism. Although Gogo Yubari was very, very cute.

jackdanson

• friend
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2009, 12:30:33 PM »
In that of course he is symptomatic of our times, the times when Grand Theft Auto can sell half a billion dollars of video mayhem in a week.

Grand Theft Auto 4 has a better plot and "acting" (voiceovers) than 95% of movies that have come out in the past 5 years.... just saying.

Kill Bill is alright, my wife loves it for some reason.  The second one is worth watching.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2009, 12:46:26 PM »
I see Grand Theft Auto as a technical tour de force.

I think evaluating it on dramatic terms is a waste of energy.  That doesn't mean it can't provide entertainment.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2009, 03:44:00 PM »
I'll take HERO over KILL BILL any day.
Even with my above post, I wholeheartedly agree.   =)
"And are you?"
-Douglas Adams

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2009, 04:15:19 PM »
KB v1 and v2: What's not to like?  =D

Has there ever been a revenge movie made where the good guy/hero/anti-hero successfully wreaked revenge on their nemesis that wasn't a hoot to watch?

I can't think of one.
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2009, 04:39:49 PM »
The staging, cinematography, and choreography, of the final fight between The Bride and Oren Ishisii is simply magnificent.

The music track backing it, almost a latin/Southwestern style, makes me think of some of the music in the Spaghetti westerns.

Some of that music is straight from Death Rides a Horse:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ff-kQ-UmflA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIROHAlmvGw

O'ren's backstory (witnesses her parents' murder, house burns down, plots revenge) follows the plot of this western fairly closely.

""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden