Author Topic: More Hiking/Backpacking questions  (Read 4466 times)

SADShooter

• friend
More Hiking/Backpacking questions
« on: June 26, 2009, 04:17:14 PM »
Several hiking/backpacking threads have motivated me, now that I'm getting into some semblance of physical ability to do it, to start researching and planning to undertake those activities. I just purchased The Complete Walker IV, based on recommendations here, and I've been perusing related websites. My intention is to start slow, with trailwalks, progressing to day hikes, and eventually 2-3 day packpacking trips, probably in North and Central Texas. As time and funds permit, I might expand to hunting beyond Texas whitetails.

I'm a paunchy mesomorph, 5'9, 295lb., who will sweat if you say "sweat", with a spouse who will do painful things to me if I survive trying to exceed my limitations (so I will proceed carefully). I've acquired pretty effective cold weather gear for my current hunting, but I would like advice in three main areas: boots, packs, and warm weather base layers.

Boots: I think, given my size and weight, I'm looking for a 6" leather upper backpacking boot on the order of the Lowa Banff or Danner Mt. Light II. Cheaper synthetic Cabelas & Merrell products have not stood up very well, so I'm biased toward leather for durability.  I have 11EE feet with virtually no arch and high insteps. A three-season boot will be fine, as in winter my hunting Russell's will work.

Packs: I started researching surplus, and I may pick up an ALICE or MOLLE pack just to have it, but I'm now leaning toward current production. I'd like to find a hydration-compatible crossover hunting/dayhike pack to start getting the feel of wearing a pack, then something larger for multi-day trips. The Camelbak Ranger & Commander look like decent entry-level daypack options, but I haven't found any substantive reviews.. For a backpacking/hunting pack, I'm intrigued by Eberlestock for their integral/accessory scabbards, but I don't know anything about their quality.  I'll likely end up with more than one pack, but I'd like to keep gear as versatile as possible.

Base layers: As noted above, I sweat like a pig in a sauna. Currently, evening dogwalking in DFW is an exercise in self-drenching. I won't hike in conditions like this, but I'm curious what wicking material/garment type works best for you in warm to hot temperatures.

Thanks for looking. All suggestions are welcome.

SADShooter
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: More Hiking/Backpacking questions
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2009, 04:46:41 PM »
Re: Pack -

If you go out hiking once a week to get yourself back into shape, and you're slowly increasing your hike difficulty from small 2 mile jaunts to 10 mile exploratory day hike ventures, you can get away just fine with anything less than 2000 cubic inches.

Get a 2 liter reservoir.  It will need room to also hold the following goodies:
-First Aid kit suitable to your hiking area
-Compass and map
-Rain gear or replacement clothing for whatever reason (God I love fresh socks halfway thru a hike!)
-A lighter or matches
-Potable water tablets just in case you get stuck out longer than you expected
-Camera and/or binoculars as you see fit to bring them
-Energy food
-Whatever else you see fit to bring and are willing to carry

This pack should have a small enough surface area on your back that when you sweat... it evaporates.  A pack with a large surface area against your back traps sweat and increases fatigue and discomfort.

So... you're really looking for 2 packs IMO.

That's OK though, because you can get the little one for dirt cheap.  A walmart jobby will do just fine.  You shouldn't have more than about 10 pounds in it anyways since there's no tent/cookgear/hatchet/etc.

Start with that before you spend $200+ on a fancy multiday backpack.  It'll take you a few months to get whipped into shape doing day hikes on weekends, before you're ready to go overnight IMO.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2009, 09:07:29 AM »
I'm 5-10, 205, Flat Feet (flat) 11-C.  I need ankle support, more so with a load on my back. 
I have a pair of Vasque sundowners.  Wore them back and forth and across Isle Royale.  Best pair of boots I ever owned EXCEPT they are too short.   Not only regarding ankle support, but weeds and chaff fall into the cuff and grind into my socks. 

Those sixty dollar+ lightweight shirts with all the vents and Velcro are nice (but pricey).  I sweat a lot, and prefer them in 70 degree + weather.
7-11 was a part time job.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2009, 09:59:12 AM »
I'm 5-10, 205, Flat Feet (flat) 11-C.  I need ankle support, more so with a load on my back. 
I have a pair of Vasque sundowners.  Wore them back and forth and across Isle Royale.  Best pair of boots I ever owned EXCEPT they are too short.   Not only regarding ankle support, but weeds and chaff fall into the cuff and grind into my socks. 

Those sixty dollar+ lightweight shirts with all the vents and Velcro are nice (but pricey). 
I sweat a lot, and prefer them in 70 degree + weather.

And overpriced.  I got one of those shirts for $25 at a local Sports Authority.  I wear it as a fishing shirt so that I can wear long sleeves on a hot day.
Also check www.campmor.com
www.sierratradingpost.com (expect to get left wing junk mail, though)
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2009, 11:18:33 AM »
A lot of companies are now making daypacks with a curved framesheet that keeps the backpanel off your back. Being a heavy perspirer and in Texas that may be a feature you will want to look into. Even in the winter (single digits) I've gotten a sweaty back under my daypack when hiking or snowshoeing. The only downsides to the curved framesheet is it affects the shape of the storage compartment and often doesn't "feel" right to the wearer having the weight hanging away from the body. A decent pack with back panel venting should also have a decent suspension to transfer the weight onto the hips.

Watch the video available for this daypack to see what I'm talking about. http://www.rei.com/product/762506

You don't have to spend that much money to get into a daypack. REI's prices generally will be a little more than Campmore or STP. They do have good sales though and a bullet proof 100% satisfaction guarantee.

I'll up AZ's recommendation on the hydration reservoir from 2L to 3L. I bought a 100 oz reservoir so if I need that much water I can carry it. You don't have to fill it up all the way for short hikes but it is nice having the option of carrying that much if needed. I've been on dry stretches while backpacking where I filled my reservoir and nalgene bottle to start the day hiking with a full gallon.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 11:30:13 AM by Ron »
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2009, 11:57:32 AM »
I'm a paunchy mesomorph, 5'9, 295lb., who will sweat if you say "sweat", with a spouse who will do painful things to me if I survive trying to exceed my limitations (so I will proceed carefully). I've acquired pretty effective cold weather gear for my current hunting, but I would like advice in three main areas: boots, packs, and warm weather base layers.
I hear ya.  Currently 275-ish and 6'.  I sweat in a similar fashion...and sweat more the better shape I get in .

Boots: I think, given my size and weight, I'm looking for a 6" leather upper backpacking boot on the order of the Lowa Banff or Danner Mt. Light II. Cheaper synthetic Cabelas & Merrell products have not stood up very well, so I'm biased toward leather for durability.  I have 11EE feet with virtually no arch and high insteps. A three-season boot will be fine, as in winter my hunting Russell's will work.

Redwing work boots or Irish Setter sporting boots might serve you well.

Being a big & heavy guy, I would bias you toward some of Redwing's more robust non-insulated work boot offerings.  They will stand up better to big-guy pounding better than most and are very comfortable.  Also available in monster widths (I'm a 12EE).  The Plano Redwing store at 75 & Parker is where I have bought four pair over the years.  Search this forum using my handle and "redwing" and you should find reviews of several of their boots. 

Here is one:
http://www.armedpolitesociety.com/index.php?topic=18034.msg336360#msg336360

Packs: I started researching surplus, and I may pick up an ALICE or MOLLE pack just to have it, but I'm now leaning toward current production. I'd like to find a hydration-compatible crossover hunting/dayhike pack to start getting the feel of wearing a pack, then something larger for multi-day trips. The Camelbak Ranger & Commander look like decent entry-level daypack options, but I haven't found any substantive reviews.. For a backpacking/hunting pack, I'm intrigued by Eberlestock for their integral/accessory scabbards, but I don't know anything about their quality.  I'll likely end up with more than one pack, but I'd like to keep gear as versatile as possible.

Keep your eye open for REI sales and join the co-op, as it only costs a few bucks and lasts a lifetime.  That way, you can be eligible for an invitation to semi-annual REI "garage sales."  I picked up some of their rental backpacks for cheap at one.  They are high-quality external frame packs, but more comfy and larger capacity than the large ALICE pack.

The allure of internal frame packs is great, but all I have to do is think hard about a nasty case of heat rash all over my back and I can resist their siren song.

Base layers: As noted above, I sweat like a pig in a sauna. Currently, evening dogwalking in DFW is an exercise in self-drenching. I won't hike in conditions like this, but I'm curious what wicking material/garment type works best for you in warm to hot temperatures.

Others can give better suggestions on high-tech fabrics, as I am still a cotton man in the warm temps.  But, I treat them like my socks: carry several, change them out during the day, tie them on my pack to dry out and rotate as they dry out.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2009, 12:27:07 PM »
Cotton is evil. 
Synthetics are king.  Polypropolene, synthetic wool and silk.  Its a matter of applying the right clothing to the right situation.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2009, 08:57:59 PM »
Quit worrying about buying all of the uber-gear and just go out and do it.  You have everything you need to get started right now.  Besides, until you gain some experience you'll have a hard time knowing what you need and want.  Try to log some hours before you open your wallet.

If you'll only be out for a couple hours, you can fit all you need to carry in your pockets (maybe hand-carry a water bottle).  A basic school bookbag will work just fine as your pack for all day trips.  Overnight trips require a real pack, but it sounds like you're not there yet.

And skip the Camelbacks too.  Plastic water bottles work just as well, and they're free. 

If you're gonna buy some boots, get honest-to-God hiking boots, not Redwings or the like.  Good socks (Smartwool, Throlo, whatever) are a life saver, too.  But until you start venturing onto rough trails, and start carrying a heavy pack, boots are probably unnecessary.  Basic athletic shoes will get you started just fine.

Don't use lack of proper synthetic or wool clothing as an excuse to stay inside.  Cotton sucks in sweaty weather, but  is probably adequate for short summer trips with predictable weather.  Sports/athletic stores sell all sorts of good synthetic clothing, and it tends to be cheaper than the stuff that's marketed specifically for hiking and backpacking.

Anyway, those are just some quick thoughts.  The big idea is to quit thinking about the gear and start doing it.  Let Grandma Gatewood be your inspiration.  She through-hiked the AT wearing Keds, she slept under an army surplus blanket, and she used an old shower curtain as her tent.  And she did it at the age of 67.  If she can do 2,000+ miles with so little, then surely you can figure out how to do a few short day-hikes with what you have on hand right now.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2009, 09:53:07 PM »

Quit worrying about buying all of the uber-gear and just go out and do it.

Good advice.

I've only become a backpacker within the last several years. I will say this though...before I became an "in the know" "hiker guy" I dayhiked in my RedWing work boots and cotton socks. The cotton socks suck for hiking, the boots will be a personal preference thing, my RedWings still feel like old friends. For backpacking I've been using Vasque Wasatch boots. Vasque is owned by RedWing, go figure.

If all you bought to start your dayhikes were some decent trail shoes/boots and wool or synthetic hiking socks you should be good to go. Add gear as your knowledge of your needs grows.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 09:56:38 PM by Ron »
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2009, 08:19:39 AM »

If you're gonna buy some boots, get honest-to-God hiking boots, not Redwings or the like.  Good socks (Smartwool, Throlo, whatever) are a life saver, too.  But until you start venturing onto rough trails, and start carrying a heavy pack, boots are probably unnecessary.  Basic athletic shoes will get you started just fine.

QFT

Don't use lack of proper synthetic or wool clothing as an excuse to stay inside.  Cotton sucks in sweaty weather, but  is probably adequate for short summer trips with predictable weather.  Sports/athletic stores sell all sorts of good synthetic clothing, and it tends to be cheaper than the stuff that's marketed specifically for hiking and backpacking.

I get alot of my specialized gear from those types of shops.  Hell, some of my winter compression baselayer stuff came from walmart!
 :lol:
Another consideration for "specialized" gear is can you use it for more than one activity?
You'll find once you buy some nice stuff, you wear it all the time. 

I disagree on camelbacks, though.  I love mine, and wear them cycling, fly fishing, hiking, hunting.  Well worth the money for a good pack.  And once you have a good bladder, you can buy multiple packs for multiple uses.  You're going to wear a pack on a day hike anyways.
Couple pics from one of my favorite day hikes.  Spent an entire day above 8,000' in the Uinta's.

JD

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2009, 08:32:39 AM »
If you'll need more than one standard bottle of water, camelbacks get more useful with each additional liter you'll need.

SADShooter, I have the Danner Mountain Light II boots, and they wear well and get the job done.  I had to buy a rush pair and take them without break in up half-dome...no blisters.  Seem a bit heavy for size, but they aren't unbearable by any stretch.  I would try those boots on before I bought them if I were in the market for another pair. Fit tends to be narrow in that brand IME.

"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2009, 10:08:02 AM »
Thanks for all the practical advice, particularly the just do it, HTG. I'm recovering from a recquetball-induced foot injury, but I've identified a nearby walking trail, and I'll start putting some miles on. I'm breaking in the Wellco desert boots purchased via the thread here, and they've been comfortable so far. I am more of the use what you've got school (stand hunting for 10 years with the same LL Bean book pack) but I also recognize the value of the proper tool for an application.

ShootinStudent: Thanks for your comment on the Danners. It mirrors other reviews I've read.

The Camelbak MULE comes up on sale here pretty regularly. I figure it will make a good test bed/conditioning tool, and have multiple uses as JamisJockey points out.

I got used to SmartWools for hunting, so I've learned the value of good socks. (Still trying to find a use for a pile of cotton tube socks I don't wear any longer).

"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2009, 10:14:26 AM »
Something you may want to consider is using hiking poles. They take a lot of strain off the knees as well as adding stability while hiking over rough terrain.

The M.U.L.E is a great daypack, if you can get one on sale go for it!

Here is a link to pics from some of my backpacking trips. I'm pretty much addicted to hiking and backpacking now and will be relocating to somewhere more conducive to the hobby as soon as the housing market comes back.

http://community.webshots.com/user/ChicagolandRon
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 10:17:28 AM by Ron »

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2009, 10:33:07 AM »
I've found the mule a little small if I need to carry layering clothing or rain gear.  I've got an older Transalp I got off Ebay cheap.  Check ebay for used  packs, buy a new 2 litre bladder.  
All my packs are older, these are what I have:
Older version of the rocket

Older MULE

Older Transalp

And a camo bag about the same size as the transalp.
JD

mgdavis

• friend
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2009, 11:09:40 AM »
The Camelbak packs are over-priced and under-performing in my opinion. Many, if not most, day packs have a pocket for a hydration bladder built in. In my opinion, it's is worth while to spend an extra 20-30 dollars to get an actual technical pack, rather than a glorified bookbag.

I have been using a Lowe Alpine Airzone Centro 35 for about a year. It has a couple very nice features that you won't find on lower-end packs: A real, functional, hip belt, rather than the simple strip of nylon webbing you find on many packs; it also has a frame sheet that hold the pack off your back, with a sheet of mesh that rests on your back and allows sweat to evaporate very quickly.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2009, 12:42:19 PM »
Ron:

Thanks for the photo link. I've been reading up on trekking poles, and I'll definitily pursue them when I get on to appropriate terrain.

mgdavis:

Thanks for your thoughts on Camelbak and the Lowe Alpine recommendation.

SADShooter

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2009, 12:50:26 PM »
The Camelbak packs are over-priced and under-performing in my opinion. Many, if not most, day packs have a pocket for a hydration bladder built in. In my opinion, it's is worth while to spend an extra 20-30 dollars to get an actual technical pack, rather than a glorified bookbag.

I have been using a Lowe Alpine Airzone Centro 35 for about a year. It has a couple very nice features that you won't find on lower-end packs: A real, functional, hip belt, rather than the simple strip of nylon webbing you find on many packs; it also has a frame sheet that hold the pack off your back, with a sheet of mesh that rests on your back and allows sweat to evaporate very quickly.

+1 to camelbak packs being over-rated.

Their actual water bladders, however, are not.  The Coleman and other cheap knockoff bladders leak incessantly and are quite annoying.

Get a pack that does the work of being a pack, and get a camelback bladder to put in it.  A decent pack will have a generic hydration bladder pocket in it.

What I actually use more than a hydration bladder is a replaceable top for the wide-mouth nalgene bottles.  I invert the bottle and the top has a hydration tube attached to it.  I only get 1 liter at a time, but the bottle interfaces with my water filter better than the hydration bladders do.  I just carry 2 or more bottles depending on my anticipated hike distance.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2009, 02:25:29 PM »
I wouldn't over-rate the camelbak packs, but I think they are overpriced.  Again, ebay rules.
One of the best features of most camelbaks is that the hydration pocket is a seperate zippered pouch, so that when your hydration bag starts sweating it doesn't get your change of whitey tighties wet.

For those vicious hot days, a camelbak bladder can be frozen.  The trick is to fill it about 3/4 full, then blow air into it.  Lay it on its back in the freezer so that the tube doesn't freeze.  Top off, drop in pack, depart the fix.   Tried that with a knockoff bladder once and it ripped open from being frozen.
JD

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2009, 02:55:17 PM »
I really like my camelbak pack.  It's one of the smaller ones that they don't make anymore and I can't tell from the pictures what the newer equivalent is.  I use it for most everything short of real backpacking.  It is my hiking pack with a change of clothes, snacks, pack fly rod and small fishing kit hooked to the outside, and a rain jacket.  It is my fishing in the boat day pack.  It's my hunting pack (note my hunting is not hard core backwoods stuff).  I use the bladder that came with it in my LLBean fly fishing vest for wade fishing.

Edit:  I figured it out.  I have the older version of the H.A.W.G. pack.  I guess technically that is a MTN bike pack but the supposed differences between that and a hiking day pack are lost on me.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 10:55:39 AM by 41magsnub »

41magsnub

• friend
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2009, 02:58:47 PM »
Tagging onto this question, I want some hiking poles.  Preferably collapsible ones that only do so when asked :).  Any suggestions?  The idea is when I am out in the woods I stop and fish.  It would be really nice to be able to collapse them and strap to the outside of my pack.  Same thing for big game hunting.

mgdavis

• friend
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2009, 08:57:04 PM »
Leki is the brand of trekking poles that I have used. They seem to hold up well. Mine have springs to cushion impact, the ones that do not have springs are somewhat lighter and also work well. I picked my pair up from Campmor probably eight years ago.

+1 to not using cheap bladders. I have a Camelbak bladder, and have also used Platypus. Look for ones with large openings for easier cleaning. I think the MSR line has the standard "nalgene" sized mouth for compatibility with filters.

41magsnub

• friend
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2009, 10:47:47 AM »
I hit up the REI store last night and tried a few out.  They did not have anything from Leki in stock and I wanted some now.  I ended up settling on the Black Diamond cheaper collapsible ones without the springs.  I thought the springs were a bit annoying to be honest.  I then went on a 2 hr hike last night pushing off hard on them as I walked and they did not lose any length.

My next purchase will be some new insoles for my old Asolo boots.  The factory ones finally gave up the ghost and were probably not very good to begin with.  I'm eyeballing the Superfeet line with more arch support.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 10:52:29 AM by 41magsnub »

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2009, 10:56:00 AM »
You can't go wrong with the Black Diamond poles.

Personally I think their "flick lock" mechanism is superior to the twist to tighten method.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2009, 10:57:50 AM »
41magsnub:

Which Asolos do you have

41magsnub

• friend
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2009, 11:10:32 AM »
41magsnub:

Which Asolos do you have

I do not know the model name since it was over 5 years ago I bought them, but looking at their site they are pretty close to the Flame GTX.  They are holding up great. 

I have another even older pair of the solid leather upper type that after many years have started to split a little on the side but not all the way through yet.  I still use those for work boots since they are pretty structurally sound but the tread is about gone.  They are great for climbing around a roof.