Author Topic: 72 year old British Ex-Boxer Knocks Out 23 year old Burglar  (Read 8020 times)

Cromlech

• friend
  • English bloke
Pictured: The battered and bruised face of a burglar who got on the wrong side of a 72-year-old former boxer

By Daily Mail Reporter
Last updated at 3:40 PM on 30th June 2009

A knife-wielding burglar got a shock when he attacked a pensioner in his home - a couple of right hooks to the face.
Gregory McCalium had not realised that 72-year-old victim Frank Corti was a retired boxer.

This police mugshot of 23-year-old McCalium, taken soon after he was arrested at Mr Corti's home, shows the facial injuries the OAP inflicted as he made a citizen's arrest.
Today, McCalium is beginning a four-and-a-half year prison sentence after a judge told him he 'got what he deserved.'

Battered and caught out: Gregory McCalium before his encounter with Frank Corti and after, looking ever-so-slightly the worse-for-wear

Reluctant hero: Frank Corti is pleased with the sentence and has insisted that 'most people would have acted the same way'

A court heard how Mr Corti - who served with the Royal Engineers in North Africa from 1956-58 - was at home with his wife Margaret at the time of the incident.
McCalium, a neighbour, smashed his way into the couple's home and lunged at Mr Corti with a blade.

The pensioner dodged the knife and punched the intruder twice in the face, leaving him with a black eye and swollen lip.
He then restrained McCalium until police arrived.

After the sentencing, Mr Corti said: 'We are very pleased (with the sentence) because our life was severely disrupted by the incident and we are pleased he won't be troubling us for a few years.

'I had to restrain him before he could go and get the knife.
'I was scared when he first threw the knife,

'If you can't defend what's yours, where are we at?'

During sentencing at Oxford Crown Court, Brian Payne, prosecuting, said: 'There was a struggle and it was clear Mr McCalium was intoxicated because his reactions were slow.

'It seems Mr McCalium ended up with far more serious injuries.'

The break-in was the culmination of a dispute between the neighbours, Mr Payne added.
The court heard that cocktail barman McCalium was drunk after partying all night when he forced his way into his neighbour's house in Botley, Oxford, at 8am on August 19.

Police had turned up earlier in the morning after complaints of noise and McCalium was seen brandishing a wooden sword.
The barman denied aggravated burglary and told a trial in March that he could not remember the incident.

John Simmons, defending, said: 'Whatever happened that night was a coming together of a situation that had been brewing for some time and in the run-up neither of them covered themselves in glory.
'It was like a pressure cooker that finally blew.'
Mr Corti received only minor injuries, Mr Simmons told the court.

He added: 'Photographs of the defendant showed what looked like a car accident and photos of the scene looked more like a murder scene.'

Recorder Angela Morris said because of McCalium's age and lack of serious previous convictions she would pass the shortest sentence available.
'Luckily, Mr Corti was an able-bodied 72-year-old who was able to defend himself.

'The jury might well have concluded you got what you deserved when you entered that property and took a swipe at him with that weapon.

'The elderly and vulnerable people are entitled to demand the protection of courts from people like you who decide to take matters into your own hands and enter a property with a weapon.'

McCalium, who has been in custody since the attack, will serve half the sentence before he is eligible for release on licence.
After the sentencing, Detective Constable Jon Shaw said: 'A dispute happened between residents over excessive noise levels in the road.

'This led to McCalium, confronting one of his neighbours, armed with a knife.

'The elderly man, who at the time was at home with his wife, was able to subdue the man until the police arrived.

'Fortunately no-one was more injured in this incident but this was still a terrifying situation and McCalium must now pay for his actions.

Glory days: Mr Corti pictured outside the Baliol Boys Club at the age of 16

Jailed: McCalium pictured partying on his Facebook page

Gregory McCalium had become involved in a long-running dispute with Mr Corti about noise

Pictured: The battered and bruised face of a burglar who got on the wrong side of a 72-year-old former boxer | Mail Online

They do say that a Boxer's power is the last thing to go...  =D
When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
Re: 72 year old British Ex-Boxer Knocks Out 23 year old Burglar
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 01:34:05 PM »
...a judge told him he 'got what he deserved.'
'If you can't defend what's yours, where are we at?'
Are we sure this is from the UK?  I'm surprised they're not jailing the boxer for a longer sentence.
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

Cromlech

• friend
  • English bloke
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009, 01:35:29 PM »
Some judges would indeed have wanted to slap the wrist of this man. Luckily, the case went before someone with a functioning brain.
When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 01:43:12 PM »
Look at the forearms on the old dude!  :laugh:
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2009, 01:56:04 PM »
Well done! :cool:
The pictures tell a story, don't they? :cool:
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2009, 02:08:37 PM »
Looking at the boxer again, he reminds me of Michael Caine.

Looking at the burglar again, he reminds me of useless.
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

brimic

• friends
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2009, 02:30:42 PM »
Not really a good idea to pick a fight with an old man, especially one in good shape with a dagger tattoo on his arm. :lol:
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2009, 02:47:21 PM »
Never trust an old guy: it takes a certain amount of plain old-fashioned cunning to survive.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2009, 02:52:40 PM »
I'll add a classic: Never fight an old man--he knows every dirty trick in the book and he's got nothing to lose.
"And are you?"
-Douglas Adams

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2009, 03:05:22 PM »
Dang, that is only after two punches? Messed him up,  =D And I can't believe that he is only 16 in that picture. Wow, good for him.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2009, 03:08:48 PM »
Never get into a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

Fortunately for the idiot here, the old man wasn't too old to fight.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2009, 04:46:36 PM »
One of the many things that Jeff Cooper got right was the observation that goblins and soft and feckless in a fight.
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2009, 04:50:42 PM »
Anyone who wears metal fishing tackle in his face has never been in a fight in his life.

I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2009, 04:57:45 PM »
Never bring a knife to a fist-fight?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2009, 05:00:22 PM »
Never bring attempt to take a knife to a fist-fight? badass.
Fixed for ya.  =D
"And are you?"
-Douglas Adams

Viking

• friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2009, 05:42:28 PM »
One of the many things that Jeff Cooper got right was the observation that goblins and soft and feckless in a fight.
I read something about how 4 thugs tried to rob an old harmless man in a San Francisco park. The man turned out to be the not-so-harmless Col. Rex Applegate. 4 people were taken away by ambulance. Rex Applegate was not among them :cool: :laugh:.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2009, 05:46:13 PM »
Sometimes you should be wary of the 70-somethings.....and think about how they got to that age....  :cool:

Man's got a devastating right....or the creep's got a face made of jelly donuts....  :laugh:
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

PTK

• friends
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2009, 06:17:23 PM »
Knife wielding burglar, attempted murder, and he gets four and a half years in jail? UK is good to criminals.
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

Viking

• friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2009, 06:32:21 PM »
Knife wielding burglar, attempted murder, and he gets four and a half years in jail? UK is good to criminals.
He would've probably have gotten off even more lightly here. We've had people who participated in murder/manslaughter getting off with 40 hours of community service and contact with social services. Punishments here are a farce. I wish we could take the guillotine out of storage and start using it again...

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2009, 07:01:36 PM »
on that same note i am now clearly the second tuffest guy at work.  we hired a 58 year old marine nam vet.  nicest guy. would want to try him for anything. my spidey sense was tingling. lil itty bitty bama boy was a tunnel rat. heck he was tuffer than me before the fighting even started
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I