Author Topic: Goldman Sachs has engineered every major market manipulation since the Great Dep  (Read 3279 times)

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
In Rolling Stone Issue 1082-83, Matt Taibbi takes on "the Wall Street Bubble Mafia" — investment bank Goldman Sachs. The piece has generated controversy, with Goldman Sachs firing back that Taibbi's piece is "an hysterical compilation of conspiracy theories" and a spokesman adding, "We reject the assertion that we are inflators of bubbles and profiteers in busts, and we are painfully conscious of the importance in being a force for good." Taibbi shot back: "Goldman has its alumni pushing its views from the pulpit of the U.S. Treasury, the NYSE, the World Bank, and numerous other important posts; it also has former players fronting major TV shows. They have the ear of the president if they want it." Here, now, are excerpts from Matt Taibbi's piece and video of Taibbi exploring the key issues.

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/story/28816321/the_great_american_bubble_machine#

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
 ;/

The first paragraph was wast of my time.  I've no interest in the rest.

The first thing you need to know about Goldman Sachs is that it's everywhere. The world's most powerful investment bank is a great vampire squid wrapped around the face of humanity, relentlessly jamming its blood funnel into anything that smells like money.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
Why would Rolling Stone want to demonize the financiers of capitalism?

On the other hand I won't dismiss this out of hand like you.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis

Why wouldn't they?  They are not exactly known for their conservative, pro-capitalism views.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
To sell copies of their magazine?  To push their political agenda?  To sell copies of their magazine?  For the attention it'll give them?  To sell copies of their magazine?

On the other hand I won't dismiss this out of hand like you.
The nature of investment banking is that it is intimately tied to the markets.  Any time the markets do anything at all, good or bad, up or down, nice or nasty, the investment banks are going to be right there in the middle of it.  Their job is to facilitate what their customers want, and often that means helping their customers make bad investments.

So lemme take a guess at how this story goes: Goldman is always nearby when something bad happens in the markets, and yet somehow they manage to make money from it unlike the unwashed masses, the poor helpless little-guy investors.  How can it be possible that Goldman can make money when the market is down?  Ah ha!  It must be because they're eeevil little bastages who are secretly pulling the strings of capitalism all over the world.  Hank Paulson was a Goldman shill, and he's not the only one, they're all secretly rigging the game in their favor so that they can fleece the little guy. 

Throw in a good heaping dose of personal vitriol against some big names from Goldman, wrap it all up in clever emotional sensationalism, and you have an easy way to sell magazines to fools looking for someone to blame for the recent financial mess.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2009, 08:55:27 PM by Headless Thompson Gunner »

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...

That was tongue in cheek guys  :lol:

Yet I'm not willing to dismiss this as just left wing paranoia.

Standing Wolf

• friend
Baloney. It was Bush's fault.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
To sell copies of their magazine?  To push their political agenda?  To sell copies of their magazine?  For the attention it'll give them?  To sell copies of their magazine?

You, sir, are far too invested in realism and common sense.   :mad:   =)
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
Gotta agree with HTG on this.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.

Did they do another story on the RIAA?.....  :|
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Maybe because the author has some deep seated hatred for Goldman Sachs and decided to use the "bully pulpit" of a magazine that hasn't been relevant for over 20 years to take his revenge?

Gotta say I what I read reads like some bizarre recitation of contrived accusations based on half truths and innuendo. I'll Godwin the thread, now, but man some of his rhetoric sounds like it could have come from Joseph Goebbels pen or Adolf Hitler's mouth.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
...a magazine that hasn't been relevant for over 20 years to take his revenge?

You mean teenagers were still reading about Three Dog Night in the 1980's?

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
I have it good authority that Goldman Sachs also had a hand in the collapse of the Dutch Tulip Market.....
 ;/ ;/

Hit piece, personal vendetta.....
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Maybe because the author has some deep seated hatred for Goldman Sachs and decided to use the "bully pulpit" of a magazine that hasn't been relevant for over 20 years to take his revenge?

I'm curious what magazines would be considered relevant.  Other than gun magazines, of course.   =)
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
I'm curious what magazines would be considered relevant.  Other than gun magazines, of course.   =)

Old House Journal, Handyman Journal, Epicurious.

That's about it.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
I'm curious what magazines would be considered relevant.  Other than gun magazines, of course.   =)

Texas Highways is pretty good, too.....

http://www.texashighways.com/
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
Old House Journal, Handyman Journal, Epicurious.

That's about it.
Backwoods Home all the way!

grampster

• friend
"Baloney. It was Bush's fault."

Nahhhh.  Bilderbergs all the way.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw