Author Topic: liquid apple pie  (Read 4570 times)

eyebrows

• friend
liquid apple pie
« on: July 05, 2009, 08:32:51 AM »
I made this drink for last night and it was a big hit. So very good, it's a little dangerous because it's so good and you can't taste the booze.

1/2 gal of apple juice
1/2 gal apple cider
1/2 cup of sugar
cinnamon sticks
a bit more than 1/2 a fifth of Everclear
some apples

Boil the apple juice, apple cider, 7 cinnamon sticks, and sugar until the cinnamon sticks lose color and flavor. Let it cool to room temp and add the everclear. Pour into mason jars adding a fresh cinnamon stick and some apple slices to each.

Thats it. For as much everclear as I put into it you cannot taste it one bit(unless you eat one of the apple slices whoooweee  :O) and it packs a punch.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
Re: liquid apple pie
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2009, 10:14:01 AM »

a bit more than 1/2 a fifth of Everclear

So would that be like three-fifths of a fifth?   :)
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2009, 11:53:04 AM »
So for those of us who are fifth-challenged, like myself, half of a fifth of liquor is 12.5 ounces approximately.  Unfortunately, the Washington State Liquor Control Board does not sell Everclear in the state.  I pick some up in Oregon from time to time.  I primarily use it to sanitze fittings and the carboy necks of my homebrewing equipment.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2009, 12:17:02 PM »
I might try that one day, sans the booze.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2009, 12:40:48 PM »
I primarily use it to sanitze fittings and the carboy necks of my homebrewing equipment.
It is also a good paint stripper and a key ingredient in the best IEDs.

=D
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2009, 05:41:41 PM »
Dude, apple cider and everclear mixed?

Thats just asking for the trots
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2009, 07:06:06 PM »
I'd be inclined to use honey instead of sugar.  Use slightly less, as honey is sweeter.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2009, 08:36:56 PM »
Easier recipe....take a case of Woodchuck Amber, the cinnamon and apples....warm slowly on low heat.....then chill......instant heaven....  =D
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

PTK

• friends
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2009, 10:35:12 PM »
Easier recipe....take a case of Woodchuck Amber, the cinnamon and apples....warm slowly on low heat.....then chill......instant heaven....  =D

If that same Woodchuck also is the brand that comes in Granny Smith and a few others, DANG GOOD STUFF!
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2009, 06:01:12 AM »
If that same Woodchuck also is the brand that comes in Granny Smith and a few others, DANG GOOD STUFF!

It is....thank GOD it is....  =D
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

eyebrows

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2009, 05:00:17 PM »
Dude, apple cider and everclear mixed?

Thats just asking for the trots
All the red meat I ate helped hold everything together.

I'd be inclined to use honey instead of sugar.  Use slightly less, as honey is sweeter.
Might try that next time(there will be a next time this stuff is good). The consensus around here was that it coulda used a little more sugar. I only added half a cup.

So would that be like three-fifths of a fifth?
=D When I say "a bit more than 1/2 a fitfh" I meant pour till your eyes water.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2009, 06:18:04 PM »
Oh, I miss "apple pie."

Had friends that used to make it back in Walla Walla during high school.  Fun parties.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2009, 07:57:18 PM »
I enjoy this recipe:

6 ounces warm apple cider
0.5 ounces Tuaca
0.5 ounces cinnamon schnapps

mix and garnish with whipped cream. 

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2009, 10:41:02 PM »
Is that hard apple cider or just the regular non-alcoholic stuff that you put into the recipe?

It's easy to get non-alcoholic cider around here in 1/2 gallon containers; only one place sells real hard cider, though, and it only comes in a 6 pack of bottles, and it ain't cheap.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2009, 11:32:30 PM »
The recipe I quoted uses regular apple cider, not the alcoholic type. 

eyebrows

• friend
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2009, 12:17:01 AM »
I used regular cider. Took awhile to find it hidden in the produce section.

I let it set in the fridge overnight and we drank it cold. 
« Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 12:20:21 AM by eyebrows »

Iain

• friend
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2009, 06:21:48 AM »
The recipe I quoted uses regular apple cider, not the alcoholic type. 

Regular cider is non-alcoholic?
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2009, 07:01:02 AM »
Regular cider is non-alcoholic?

It is over here.  You can get alcoholic cider, but it's somewhat rare.  Only one place in town here sells it that I know of, and only one brand.  I'm in a small town, though; you might be able to get a better variety in the city.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Iain

• friend
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2009, 07:26:07 AM »
Not that you'll be disappointed but your average British middle-of-the-day street drunk is never likely to visit the US simply because of that fact.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2009, 08:04:37 AM »
Not that you'll be disappointed but your average British middle-of-the-day street drunk is never likely to visit the US simply because of that fact.

I think we can live with being denied their presence.   :police:

I kind of wish hard cider were more common over here, though.  It's one of the few types of alcohol I actually like.

Iain

• friend
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2009, 08:18:10 AM »
Forgive my ignorance here. Non-alcoholic cider - is it any different to fizzy apple juice?

Also - Lack of popularity a taste thing, or perhaps lack of taste for cider? Or was a fledging cider industry crushed by prohibition never to return? Or are there more anti-cider laws on the books?

I'm not a big drinker, but I do like cider occasionally. The image of cider has been substantially improved in the UK in recent years by very successful marketing from rather mediocre cider brands. It used to be viewed as a cheap drink for drunks and teenagers or something rustics consumed.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2009, 08:24:23 AM »
Forgive my ignorance here. Non-alcoholic cider - is it any different to fizzy apple juice?

Also - Lack of popularity a taste thing, or perhaps lack of taste for cider? Or was a fledging cider industry crushed by prohibition never to return? Or are there more anti-cider laws on the books?

I'm not a big drinker, but I do like cider occasionally. The image of cider has been substantially improved in the UK in recent years by very successful marketing from rather mediocre cider brands. It used to be viewed as a cheap drink for drunks and teenagers or something rustics consumed.

Cider over here actually tends to be non-carbonated.  It seems the major difference vs. apple juice is that cider may have spices like cinnamon added, and it also tends to be a bit pulpy. 

I'm not sure why hard cider isn't common around here.  Could have been a result of prohibition, but I don't know for sure.  As far as I know, cider isn't any more regulated than regular beer, so I don't think that is the cause.  It could just be that we didn't have the resurgence caused by aggressive marketing that you guys did. 

PTK

• friends
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2009, 08:35:40 AM »
Iain

In the USA, unfiltered, spiced apple juice (non-carbonated) is called cider. I don't get it either, but I got used to it.
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2009, 08:49:55 AM »
In the US/Canada, hard cider is viewed as a niche luxury product, somewhat akin to a good microbrewed beer.  In fact, in my circle of friends, people who enjoy good hard cider are usually also the people who enjoy good beer.  It is more popular in the areas of the country that grow apples and pears.  There are some types that I really enjoy; others are too sweet for my taste. 

Making hard cider in the US and Canada requires additional regulatory and tax complications that go along with making any alcoholic beverage for sale.  Because the market for hard cider is not large, you don't see a lot of companies making it here. 

In terms of the difference between apple cider and apple juice in the States, here is a commonly-accepted explanation:

Apple Juice and Apple Cider:
What's the Difference?

Apple juice and apple cider are both fruit beverages made from apples, but there is a difference between the two. Fresh cider is raw apple juice that has not undergone a filtration process to remove coarse particles of pulp or sediment. It takes about one third of a bushel to make a gallon of cider.

To make cider, apples are washed, cut and ground into a mash that is the consistency of applesauce. Layers of mash are wrapped in cloth, and put into wooded racks. A hydraulic press squeezes the layers, and the juice flows into refrigerated tanks. This juice is bottled as apple cider.

Apple juice is juice that has been filtered to remove solids and pasteurized so that it will stay fresh longer. Vacuum sealing and additional filtering extend the shelf life of the juice.

The flavor of cider depends on the blending of juice from different apple varieties. The term "flavor" refers to the palatability of a distinct apple juice flavor and the aroma that is typical of properly processed apple juice. Cider makers are most particular about concocting a blend that will create the desired flavor and produce the perfect balance between sweetness and tartness.

Cider needs constant refrigeration because it is perishable. It will stay sweet and unfermented for up to two weeks.

Iain

• friend
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2009, 09:01:57 AM »
Can anyone ship me a case of the stuff?

I want to stand on the street with a big sign reading: 'Free Cider for Drunks'