Author Topic: Replacement Windshield  (Read 1554 times)

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Replacement Windshield
« on: July 08, 2009, 10:30:28 AM »
My 99 Avalon is due for a new windshield.  It has many rock chips, it is very sandblasted so it glares badly when driving into the sun, and there is one big crack the width of it where I took a rock and within 10 minutes it spread out.

I've never had this done before.  Are there different grades of glass to think about?  What should I be asking the windshield guys?  My insurance will cover at least part of this.

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
Re: Replacement Windshield
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 10:57:43 AM »
They should cover all of it, maybe minus a deductible....call any of the big name glass guys, they will take care of it...
One day at a time.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 11:39:23 AM »
Call your insurance company, many have deals with replacement glass companies.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2009, 12:20:43 AM »
What should I be asking the windshield guys?

You want to watch, to ensure that the techs doing the work do NOT nick, scratch or otherwise damage the paint around where the windshield sits against the body of the car.  Doing so will allow water to contact bare metal and being the process of oxidation (aka rust).

Of course, if you're not the type who will drive a car forever, replacing parts and engines as needed.  Well...

Nevermind.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

crt360

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2009, 12:36:06 AM »
Also, test the replacement job for leaks several times within the warranty period.
For entertainment purposes only.

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2009, 04:31:36 AM »
I think there must be a difference in the glass used in replacement windows.  I had a windshield replaced in a three year old car.  The replacement was heavily pitted within two years from (I assume) the winter sand used on the road around here.  The original one had no pits- just a nasty crack from a wayward stone, hence the replacing.  Maybe cheaper glass with less temper to it or something???

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2009, 05:08:20 AM »
I need to replace my windshield, but I keep putting it off.  I was driving down Highway 95 north of Winnemucca a couple of months ago when a semi hauling gravel passed me going the other way on a curve.  The gravel had been loaded so that it was above the top of the truck and inertia forced some of it over the side as the truck went around the curve, and it promptly struck my windshield.  Got a nice big crack in it, now.

:mad:

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2009, 09:04:40 AM »
My truck got a big crack in the windshield in the first year.  I am in year six now and still telling myself I need to replace it.  :)
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2009, 10:09:19 AM »
Windshields and windshield cracks task me.

Whenever I get up the gumption to replace one, not a month goes by and some yahoo who can't properly load thier truck/trailer/whatever will launch a rock and crack the new one.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

brimic

• friends
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2009, 01:44:06 PM »
I've had 2 replaced and 1 repaired in the last 10 years or so. *cough effing dump trucks cough*.

The repairmen will usually come to your house or place of work to do the repair or replacement.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

doczinn

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2009, 09:31:44 PM »
I don't have any cracks in my windshield.

What I do have is a hefty helpin' of disgust for trucks with stickers on the back saying they aren't responsible for cracked windshields if something falls off of the truck. OF COURSE you're bloody responsible!
D. R. ZINN

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2009, 10:49:58 PM »
Mines been cracked going on 3 years now, big 3' u shape around the review mirror. Almost replaced it about 3 years ago, but I got laid off so I canceled it. Got another bullseye a week latter, I think if I had actually replaced it I would have run the guy off the road that did it.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods