Author Topic: Thoughts on compact reloading setup  (Read 26874 times)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
Thoughts on compact reloading setup
« on: July 08, 2009, 01:56:48 PM »
My search-fu is letting me down here. I know some people have discussed the set-up they use to reload in cramped apartment conditions, but I can't find the relevant posts.

So what do you all recommend for reloading ~3 calibers in a very space limited situation? I'm thinking either a hand press or a small folding bench/table of some kind, although I'd worry about the stability of that sort of setup. I'm also looking at a few different starter kits. Nothing fancy, just a basic single stage. Any experiences?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

jamz

• friend
  • bleem
Re: Thoughts on compact reloading setup
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 02:02:49 PM »
I ran a dillon rl550 screwed into one of those black and decker folding portable workmate workbenches for a couple of years.  It worked pretty well, though I never tried actually folding it down.

Something like this...  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000224R9
Everybody loves Magical Trevor

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 02:05:08 PM »
I used a Lee press on one of these little stands when I was in an apartment: http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=155024

Before that, I had the press bolted to a piece of lumber which I in turn c-clamped to a desk or table. That stand actually works pretty well. It can wobble a bit when you operate the press but not enough to cause any problems.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2009, 02:09:09 PM »
Huh, that stand looks like something I could duplicate fairly easily. I wonder if a cheap press board side table could stand having a piece of lumber w/ press attached c-clamped to it? It is pretty thick pressboard...

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2009, 02:15:45 PM »
When I was single and living in a one-bedroom apartment, I mounted my Lee turret press to a pine board and c-clamped that to my desk (fairly heavy desk, the top was 1" laminated particle board).  It worked fine for a couple years till I got married and bought a house.  I only loaded 357mag and 38special with it though.

Chris

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2009, 02:26:45 PM »
I ran a dillon rl550 screwed into one of those black and decker folding portable workmate workbenches...

I use one of those benches as a portable shooting table...screwed a 3/4 inch piece of wood to it with a lip from strapping to catch brass and I'm good to go....

/threadjack
One day at a time.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2009, 02:50:56 PM »
Midway/Frankford Arsenal Portable Reloading Stand:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=155024

I've been using one for my Dillon Square Deal B, bullet lube/sizer, and C&H single stage for quite some time.

I've also done the Black & Decker Workmate thing, albeit with a cheaper Chinese Harbor Freight knock-off.

Then there's the Huntington Compac handheld press, which I use when camping, etc.  See at the bottom of this page:

http://www.huntingtons.com/reloadingpresses.html
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2009, 04:52:45 PM »
When I started out I did what several others here have done. I bolted my press and screwed my powder measure to a eighteen inch two by four. Two clamps held it to my desk. I had no problem full length sizing bottleneck rifle cartridges. I also just gave the cases a soap and water bath and a hot water rinse.
I soon found myself loading for more and more calibers. Buying more rifles and pistols and shooting more just so I could reload.
I ended up setting aside a small building here to do my reloading in. I still keep a small setup that I can use in the house when I feel like it.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2009, 05:08:36 PM »
When I was single and living in a one-bedroom apartment, I mounted my Lee turret press to a pine board and c-clamped that to my desk (fairly heavy desk, the top was 1" laminated particle board).

That's approximately what I did. I now have a bench in the garage the right height for standing, which has proved considerably more comfortable.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2009, 06:44:22 PM »
Nothing fancy, just a basic single stage. Any experiences?

Reloading what rounds?

For pistol and small rifle (.223), a Lee Hand Press would be great.  I got one some years back to write a review for an ezine that vanished before I got around to writing it.  It's way more useful than I thought it would be.

To that, add a couple reloading blocks, an RCBS (preferred) or Lyman ram prime die (the Lee is nowhere near as nice as either) or other priming tool, a set of Lee dippers or possibly RCBS' pistol powder measure.  A scale.  The Lee Safety Scale is cheap and accurate, but doesn't have a great deal of capacity.  Die sets for whatever you want to load, of course.

All that will probably fit in a shoe box.

Huntington's makes a hand press that's supposedly much nicer.  It's also much more expensive and I've never seen one.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2009, 06:49:31 PM »
Yes you have. 

It's right here, and it blows the doors off the flexible Lee hand press:

I used the Lee hand press for decapping fired BP cartridges, and it would work fine for centerfire pistol, but was too springy for my tastes when doing anything more hefty.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2009, 06:57:23 PM »
I'd be doing it for rifle rounds. Either x51 or -06.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2009, 09:14:40 PM »
Then, in my opinion, the Lee is not for you. 
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2009, 09:29:18 PM »
The Huntington handheld press is plenty strong enough for 7.62x39, 7.62x45, 7.62x51, and 7.62x63 (.30-06)

However, depending on the volume you intend to reload, you may be better served by a simple O-frame (I like O-frames vs. other designs) single stage press and either the portable stand I mentioned, or a Black & Decker Workmate/clone.  Then you can put it all in the closet when you're done, with a minimum of footprint. 

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2009, 09:35:04 PM »
I think the single stage on a porta bench would work best. Do you have any thoughts on the different brands G98?

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2009, 10:19:28 PM »
Search Craigslist, Gunbroker, AuctionArms, and eBay for used single-stage presses.

Lyman, Lee, RCBS, Hornady, Redding, and a host of other names all make good stuff.

This may sound morbid, but reloaders die or otherwise quit reloading.  Then their widows offload the stuff, because it's not something they need to have lying around.

My Dillon 550 was from a "divorce sale", where the spouse was at the rifle range selling off all of his reloading gear.  I paid $50.00 for the press, and it cost me nothing to have Dillon refurb it back to as-new. I bought my C-H O-frame linear press for $50.00 with a dozen 4-position die plates from the estate of a late reloader. 

Your focus should be on "sturdy".  Think cast iron, O-frame, or other beefy designs.  Light alloy presses may or may not hold up under full-length resizing of rifle cases.  Better safe than sorry. 

Here's an O-frame cast RCBS press in the Washington State Craigslist, with a bunch of extra goodies.  I'd snag it based on what it's worth:

http://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/spo/1260305121.html

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2009, 10:28:04 PM »
I've got a Lee Classic Cast Iron single stage press mounted on a board that uses large c-clamps to clamp to a thick and sturdy desk.

I started reloading .30-30 with one of those Lee Loader kits where you use a hammer to assemble the rounds...works fairly well. Still use it when I only need to say, load 20 rds and don't want to drag out everything else.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2009, 12:10:29 AM »
This posting has been deleted by its author.
(The title on the listings page will be removed in just a few minutes.)

D'oh!

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2009, 01:21:34 AM »
Bummer.

He had two presses, brass, bullets, primers, and a bunch of reloading dies, all for $200.00.

It probably sold within seconds of my finding it.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2009, 09:09:11 AM »
Nice, yeah that would go quick.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2009, 09:18:36 AM »
What three calibers are you looking to reload and how many rounds to you expect to shoot each month?

I shoot 400-500 rounds of metallic center-fire ammo a month and I load on RCBS Rock Chucker, I can load 50-70 round per hour if I just sit down and do it. I'm currently saving up for a Dillon 550 or 650 so I can load up 2-3 months worth of ammo on any given Saturday morning. I also shoot 300 or so shot shells a month, I am lucky because I have a friend with a progressive shot-shell loader and he reloads for me, pretty cheap. Usually costs me a bottle of whiskey and a couple ribeye dinners at my place for his time, I pay for the components. More than likely I'll be getting a progressive shot-shell press after I purchase a O/U sporting clay shotgun down the road.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 10:06:54 AM by charby »
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2009, 09:48:00 AM »
Charby: .45acp, .38 spl, and either x51 or -06 depending on what rifle I end up with. My goal is a couple hundred rounds a month, but we'll see how that works out.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2009, 10:09:44 AM »
Charby: .45acp, .38 spl, and either x51 or -06 depending on what rifle I end up with. My goal is a couple hundred rounds a month, but we'll see how that works out.

I really like the RCBS Rockchecker supreme, a set up without dies is going to run around $275.

Since you are thinking about reloading rifle cartridges make sure you get a O frame press as G-98 mentioned. I wish you lived closer to me because I'd show you my setup. I have everything on a 32"x54" bench. Sits in the corner of my man cave.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2009, 10:20:00 AM »
FWIW, I use Lee's Cast Turret Press and love it.  It is much sturdier than their previous version and still much less expensive than the other options.  You could probably get set up for a single caliber for under $200, maybe as little as $150 (haven't checked prices) for the press, dies, turret, scale, and other misc tools.  Mike has one as well and I think he likes his too.

I use mine for 38/357, 44mag, 32S&W Long, 6.5x55.  I've used it in the past for 32ACP and 7mmTCU (including forming cases from 223).  I sold my older version to a friend and he uses it for 38/357, 30-06, and a couple other calibers.  It's certainly capable, though not as prestigious as the others.

Chris

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2009, 10:26:57 AM »
Iirc they sell the Lee press as a kit with everything but the dies, right?