Author Topic: The guilt is eating me alive...  (Read 3283 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
The guilt is eating me alive...
« on: July 30, 2009, 12:30:22 AM »
My lab got up about 1/2 an hour ago to go investigate something REALLY interesting in the hallway.

He starts dancing around excitedly and I hear his collar jangling all over the place, then he yips a bit and comes back in the room hopping on 3 legs, licking a forepaw.

I go and investigate... he picked a fight with a mama bark scorpion.  Babies on the back and all.

I grab a shoe and SPLAT! her in a way that would make LadySmith proud (if she's proud of broad-spectrum splatting of mama/baby arachnids, at least), then realize I haven't done my scorpion spraying in about 2-3 months.

My puppy's all ouch-faced looking at me as I fill up the sprayer, and I run around the house hitting all the corners and baseboards with my nuclear-bio-chem death juice.  I killed a total of 5 scorpions in the last 1/2 hour.  Oops.

Must. spray. more. often.

Greenie-treats for my puppy, though.  Poor guy. =(
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Uncle Bubba

• friend
  • Billy Fish
Re: The guilt is eating me alive...
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2009, 12:36:39 AM »

Guilt trip from the pooch. Classic.

You're going about it right. Lotsa treats will assuage the guilt.

It's a strange world. Some people get rich and others eat *expletive deleted*it and die. Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Quote from: Fly320s
But, generally speaking, people are idiots outside their own personal sphere.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2009, 12:38:04 AM »
How big is your puppy?   Those things can be life threatening to small humans and animals, and extremely painful to larger animals/adults.  Might need a trip to the vet...
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2009, 12:44:10 AM »
He's 60 pounds.

I'm keeping an eye on him.

Anyone got links to pet care regarding scorpion stings?
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2009, 12:59:26 AM »
Did some reading-up....

Bark scorpions are the worst and are known to have killed children and smallish dogs... my dog is about 60 pounds.

I checked his foot and there was no stinger still embedded, and I noticed the stinger still in place when I swatted mama.  I think he got a warning zap from her.  There's no swelling/oozing/putrification/weirdness of his stung foot, and he's mostly over it.  He's not weeping, he doesn't have a runny nose, and he lets me play with his foot as much as I want.

I'll keep an eye on him for a couple more hours before going to bed, but I think he's fine.
--Lysander Spooner

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2009, 01:25:23 AM »
Sounds like a close one, AZR.  I'm glad that it looks like your pup is okay.  And it's good that he has you around to care for him.  So many owners could hardly give a rat's patootie in similar circumstances.
Do you think he's going to be as curious about scorpions from here on out?  Any chance he learned a lesson about them?
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

freedom lover

• resident high school student
  • "Who is the Coon?"
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2009, 01:39:39 AM »
Stories like this make me feel glad about our cold winters. The only deadly venemous creatures up here are rattle snakes and black widows.

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2009, 03:51:10 AM »
Sounds like a close one, AZR.  I'm glad that it looks like your pup is okay.  And it's good that he has you around to care for him.  So many owners could hardly give a rat's patootie in similar circumstances.
Do you think he's going to be as curious about scorpions from here on out?  Any chance he learned a lesson about them?
I can only use the experience I've had with our dog, but I'm saying "NO". See, we have a hedgehog living somewhere in my parents yard. Dog, who is about 14 years old now but still curious and stupid as the average puppy, has to have spines removed from his nose every now and then. Last summer, he also picked it up, and carried it to my mom, wagging his tail proudly. Yes, he is that stupid. Probably because he simply likes all other animals. I wonder if it has something to do with herding instinct...
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2009, 07:40:46 AM »
I can only use the experience I've had with our dog, but I'm saying "NO". See, we have a hedgehog living somewhere in my parents yard. Dog, who is about 14 years old now but still curious and stupid as the average puppy, has to have spines removed from his nose every now and then. Last summer, he also picked it up, and carried it to my mom, wagging his tail proudly. Yes, he is that stupid. Probably because he simply likes all other animals. I wonder if it has something to do with herding instinct...

That depends on the dog. I've had dogs that were dumb as a box of rocks, and I've had dogs that learn very quickly, even with the little things.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2009, 07:49:24 AM »
How is he this morning?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2009, 08:34:51 AM »
. . . I run around the house hitting all the corners and baseboards with my nuclear-bio-chem death juice.
What seems to work well? (I've been having trouble finding any bug killer as effective as the Diazinon and Dursban that were taken off the market some years back.)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2009, 09:57:01 AM »
a mama bark scorpion.

Where-abouts you live?

Oh.   Duh.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2009, 10:26:18 AM »
Thank Gawd we don't have Snow Scorpions up here.   =D
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2009, 10:28:59 AM »
He's just fine this morning.

Hank:  I use a chemical I got from a do-it-yerself pesticide store called Suspend-SC.  Active ingredient that seems to do the job pretty well is called Deltamethrin.
--Lysander Spooner

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
    • http://www.punk-rock.com
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2009, 06:23:29 PM »
I am seeing a massive resurgence of black widows this year.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2009, 01:37:55 AM »
you KILLED it?

it was my long lost pet! sniff...

Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2009, 02:03:16 AM »
WITH FIRE!!!!111!!! Kill it with FIRE!!!!!
--Lysander Spooner

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2009, 07:35:08 AM »
What seems to work well?

For scorpions, peanut butter scented glue boards.  Don't ask me why, but we used to get 100+ scorpions a month out of a customer's home with those.  Cherry scented boards might get 5-10, (WTF?  These are supposed to catch mice, and since when do mice go for cheap vaguely-cherry-like flavor?) and unscented boards with a glob of peanut butter weren't any better, but the ones that came with the peanut butter scent would draw them out by the dozens.

Buying singles locally usually isn't cheap, ($1-2 each) but a quick Google for "peanut butter glue board" finds lots of hits for the Catchmasters we used in 36 count and up quantities at decent prices.  Buy more than you think you'll need: if you have a large supply of scorpions they'll fill up fast.  Don't forget to fold them unless you just want the fun of detaching them from the dog, your shoe, or anything else that gets close.  Bonus; even the ones that get away tend to disarm themselves by stinging the glue until the stinger breaks off.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2009, 08:10:41 AM »
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 09:20:09 PM by JamisJockey »
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2009, 05:35:05 PM »
Yo Jamis,  You got a larger picture ??   I can't read the warning stickers on the equipment in the background......
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2009, 05:42:05 PM »

I just killed 3 in my garage over the past week. Haven't seen any of them in the house yet, at least. All spiders in the house are condemned to death by spousal decree, and my garage is too small to let dangerous ones survive. I'm always brushing against the walls and leaning into nooks and crannies when in there working on a car.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2009, 09:19:50 PM »
Yo Jamis,  You got a larger picture ??   I can't read the warning stickers on the equipment in the background......

Yeah I should have come back and checked that one...lol
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

BReilley

• Just a frog in a pond.
  • friend
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2009, 01:06:55 AM »

So am I!  Wretched things are all over work, and I have killed at least four at home *in the last week*.

WITH FIRE!!!!111!!! Kill it with FIRE!!!!!

...aaaaand that's the way to do it.  Unless she's close to the house, in which case I'll just hose her with this nasty bug spray.

Fire, however, is indeed "the only way to be sure".  There are more than a few slightly darkened patches on my driveway and patio.  Widow+carb cleaner+match=win.

...the big ones "pop".