Author Topic: Back Yard Fun  (Read 4897 times)

crt360

• friend
Back Yard Fun
« on: July 30, 2009, 01:30:41 AM »

7-Foot Rattlesnake Found in Manor

Updated: Wednesday, 29 Jul 2009, 6:10 PM CDT
Published : Wednesday, 29 Jul 2009, 3:05 PM CDT

Manor, TX - The Manor Police Department is helping residents living in the Shadow Glen subdivision solve their snake problems. On Monday a 7-foot snake with 11 rattlers was found in the back yard of Jose and Veronica Diaz.

Police killed the snake, which had just eaten a jack rabbit.  Officials say the heat and dry conditions are causing many snakes to come indoors.  This is causing doctors to see an increase in snake bites.

"Normally the snake can live off the dew off the ground and get enough water but there is not enough dew this year so the snakes are moving big time," snake expert Robert Ackerwood recently told FOX 7 news.

Those snakes are moving into yards, gardens, sheds or any other place to find relief from the heat. He says people should wear protective gear before working in brushes or gardens where snakes may be hiding.

http://www.myfoxaustin.com/dpp/news/local/072909_seven_foot_rattlesnake_found_in_manor

I know a lot of us have seen big rattlesnakes, but I've never seen one this big in an urban back yard, much less with a full-sized jack rabbit inside it.  :O

Check the link for a couple of photos and a video.
For entertainment purposes only.

freedom lover

• resident high school student
  • "Who is the Coon?"
Re: Back Yard Fun
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2009, 02:06:11 AM »
That was a big one. Iwouldn't go near it with a hoe either.

Its interesting to note that Texas is having a drought. The Northeast is having the wettest summer ever.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2009, 02:40:06 AM »
I would think that after a big meal like that all it would have wanted to do was go lay down (or are they always laying down) and rest for a while.

I know some people are of the mindset that the only good snake is a dead snake, but I think I would have given this big one a pass and relocated it.

bob

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2009, 06:28:21 AM »
I would think that after a big meal like that all it would have wanted to do was go lay down (or are they always laying down) and rest for a while.
Roll onto its side, maybe.
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2009, 06:33:24 AM »

I know some people are of the mindset that the only good snake is a dead snake, but I think I would have given this big one a pass and relocated it.

bob

Agreed.
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2009, 08:14:18 AM »
I would have given this big one a pass and relocated it.

As would I.
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2009, 08:19:19 AM »
I think I would have called in whatever local animal control is called. I have zero snake skills, and wouldn't go near a snake this size unless I really had to.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2009, 09:48:16 AM »
.45 Long Colt, or whatever is handy. Local ordinances be hanged.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2009, 10:17:32 AM »
If I needed to dispatch a rattler that big in my yard I think my 870 would be the gun of choice.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2009, 10:45:33 AM »
     Do you know I've never seen a rattlesnake (in the wild) in fifteen years living in Texas? I live east of Dallas out in the country and see my fair share of copperheads and cottonmouths, but no rattlesnakes. My neighbors seem to think that fire ants have reduced their population.  I have no problem with someone who finds a venomous snake in their yard killing it, but even when they are dead they should still be handled cautiously. They still strike long after they're dead. *IF* a competent snake handler is handy, relocation to a non human habitat is just as fine with me.

Quote from: freedom lover
That was a big one. Iwouldn't go near it with a hoe either.

Its interesting to note that Texas is having a drought. The Northeast is having the wettest summer ever.

Northeast Texas has been plenty wet so far this year. My wife an I were down San Antonio way for our honeymoon in June, and it was my first knowledge of the drought.

Quote from: Ron
If I needed to dispatch a rattler that big in my yard I think my 870 would be the gun of choice.

Quote from: Cmdr. Gravez0r

.45 Long Colt, or whatever is handy. Local ordinances be hanged.

Birdshot  at close range (10 - 20 feet) is just the ticket. Aim at the neck and you should be able to blow the head clean off. Now pick the head up with a spade and put it in a secure container so your dogs don't get bitten by it later. If you want the meat or skin the body is now safe to handle, albeit creepy as heck because it doesn't die for a very long time.

Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2009, 12:38:59 PM »
Texas is having a drought.

Wait a minute - isn't Texas supposed to be dry, like in all the cowboy western movies?  =D

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2009, 01:30:29 PM »
Lotta good meat on that size critter.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2009, 01:53:25 PM »
Wait a minute - isn't Texas supposed to be dry, like in all the cowboy western movies?  =D

:lol:

I moved to DFW in the middle of a drought in July and thought, "Yep, I'm in Texas now, boys."  Hot winds rolling in off the plains, dust, drydrydry heat.  And a plague of crickets..

Well, that ain't quite how it is all the time, especially back a couple years when I thought evolving a set of gills might come in handy, due to the rain all spring & summer long.

Heck, we did have a dry spell for 3-4 weeks and my lawn finally did cry out for some watering...whch was the opportunity the weather was waiting for, as the sky burst open the next day and has done so most of this last week.  My grass has gone hog wild 'cause the rain and my unwillingnes to mow in the rain.

As to a venomous reptile in my yard, its life is forfeit.  Maybe a non-venous snake will find the opportunity to move in.  (I'll let non-venomous snake go their merry way.  They are fine with me.)
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2009, 02:03:05 PM »
If you want the meat or skin the body is now safe to handle, albeit creepy as heck because it doesn't die for a very long time.

Why is that?
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2009, 02:29:00 PM »
You can be bitten, and subsequently envenomated, by a dead rattler.  The muscles and reflexive nervous systems still operate for a while, kind of like the dead chicken thing...

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2009, 02:36:40 PM »
You can be bitten, and subsequently envenomated, by a dead rattler.  The muscles and reflexive nervous systems still operate for a while, kind of like the dead chicken thing...

Hell, a headless snake will try to strike at you an hour after you "kill" it.  I shot a 5' rattler that would not leave our camp (kept popping up here and there within camp).  I shot it with a single 38special snakeshot load (CCI), which destroyed the head.  Buddy decapitated it with a shovel and we left it laying next to the campfire to be skinned later.  Another guy woke up later (this was morning) and picked the headless snake up by the tail, at which time the body tried to strike at him.  He screamed like a little girl and dropped the snake.  We lol'ed, we really did. :D

Chris

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2009, 02:38:55 PM »
BTW, I have the skin dried and stored in my basement.  It was mounted to a board, but when Thing2 was born, we moved Thing1 to what was my office, so the snake skin on a board had to go, I removed the skin from the board, rolled it up, and stored it in a bag in the basement.

Chris

Stetson

• friends
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2009, 03:29:50 PM »
Had a rattler in the yard not long ago.  Little bitty one, but still dangerous.  I relocated it with a shovel and a trashcan.  It seemed okay with where I moved it to but I didnt stick around and talk to it....

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2009, 08:20:18 PM »
Northern Illinois: Venomous Snake and Scorpion Free since before the the last ice age !!!
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2009, 08:31:39 PM »
I've also been striked at by the body of a decapitated snake. I consider myself a person with a strong stomach, but being striked at by the stump of the snake's body really made me a bit ill feeling for a bit.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2009, 09:12:27 PM »
Northern Illinois: Venomous Snake and Scorpion Free since before the the last ice age !!!
Except for the politi--

Nevermind.
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2009, 09:37:54 PM »
Same here, more or less. We do have European adders, but they aren't that dangerous. I think I've seen one in my entire life, and I used to move about in forests and open areas all the time when I was a kid/young teenager.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2009, 09:40:31 PM »
Lotta good meat on that size critter.
What would you compare their flavor to? I'd like to try snake if I get the chance =).
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2009, 10:16:18 PM »
my 4/10 gauge is the snake gun around here. i don't know how the dogs didn't get bit by the copperheads that seemed to be everywhere a couple years ago. Graham just walked up to the one and practically stood on it.  :rolleyes:

i haven't seen any this year, but then again they don't seem to really show up until fall. *shrug*
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2009, 11:45:10 PM »

I found this little fellow in a National Forest parking lot in Linville, NC recently. He wasn't doing a good job of being photogenic so I tossed a couple pebbles his way.  =D I kept about 12 feet back. I don't mind snakes although a venomous one near my house will end up dead since I have ignorant pets and toddlers about.

The only bite I've ever gotten was trying to relocate a black snake that took up residence around the front wheel hub of my dad's race car. That one nicked me as I was trying to unwind it from the brake. The 7 foot black snake that found the chicken eggs had good GPS, I finally had to carry it more than 1/4 mile away before it stopped coming back, it trying to constrict my arms all the while.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.