Author Topic: Doctor Who  (Read 1109 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Doctor Who
« on: August 01, 2009, 01:52:43 AM »
So, I watched Season 1, Episode 1 via Netflix.

Does this show continue to suck like a gaping chest wound, or does it eventually develop a premise and plot?

I can't imagine it still running on Sci Fi and making it to season 4, when BSG committed seppuku at the same time frame.  And Dresden Files not catching on.

Dresden kicks this show's *expletive deleted*ss, as far as I can tell so far.

Tell me of its redeeming features, if any.  Plz.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
Re: Doctor Who
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2009, 08:58:05 AM »
If you aren't familiar with the show from previous seasons/incarnations it may be somewhat hard to follow.

The scifi series definitely has had its share of clunker episodes as every season did (even the Tom Baker years).

I thought season one was pretty good although I remember little about it now.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2009, 10:23:36 AM »
Like with any new show, the first episode is usually the weakest. Watch a few more...and you'll be hooked...and disappointed that Eccleston didn't stay on as the Doctor....(but will make an awesome Destro)...

...and I miss Dresden Files, too...SciFi (excuse me, SyFy  ;/ ) doesn't seem to know a good series when it hits them....kinda like FOX in the '90's....  :mad:
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2009, 11:55:37 AM »
Tell me of its redeeming features, if any.

Having been around in some form or another since before many of us were born, the show is sorta a constant in a landscape of perpetual change.  Sure, the actors playing The Doctor change, and his companians come and go as well, but the premise of the story remains.

Speaking of companians; they are a goodly part of the attraction to the show for its young male audience.  Here is the rather odd, clearly brilliant male who gets to play with all sorts of cool technotoys (time travel, space ships, robots, sonic screwdrivers) and runs about having adventures with attractive (and sometimes hardly dressed) women.  Sure, some are can start off as  helpless screaming dolls like Tegan Jovanka, but usually they are smart, compitent, tough as nails people.

SciFi (excuse me, SyFy) doesn't seem to know a good series when it hits them....

Too frelling true!  The Execs or whomever makes that calls on the channel seem intent on turning SciFi into horrific merging of USA and Spike.  'Oh!  LOOK!  Its the wrestling pirate channel!'
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2009, 01:12:58 PM »
While the Dresden show was enjoyable (if you don't compare it to the much better books), the new Dr Who kicks ass.  It does take a little while to pick up if you're not an old fan of the series.

And hey, like any form of entertainment, what makes me jump for joy may leave you cold and vice versa.  YMMV.
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2009, 02:51:48 PM »
I started watching it during the Tom Baker years, and even had a long scarf to show for it.

Any iteration since then for me has been met with a critical eye.
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Kwelz

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2009, 09:08:14 PM »
I love Dr. Who.  Torchwood is really good as well  :)

Cromlech

• friend
  • English bloke
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2009, 05:37:58 PM »
I'm a sucker for the older ones, especially the ones with Ace and the Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart.
When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run in little circles, wave your arms and shout!