Author Topic: Amy's Less Sodium Frozen Entrees  (Read 2238 times)

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Amy's Less Sodium Frozen Entrees
« on: August 06, 2009, 02:06:59 PM »
These things are quite good as long as the vegetarian thing does not throw you off.

http://www.amys.com/products/category_view.php

The three I have been eating are the Vegetarian Lasagna, Enchiladas, and the Spinach Pizza.  A little tabasco makes the enchiladas as good as I have ever had.

I can't bring myself to buy "veggie loaf" and the brown rice and vegetable bowl is something I can make with minimal effort in the microwave with even less sodium for less $$$.  I haven't found the shepard's pie and mexican casserole in a store yet to try them.

Good stuff for when I am feeling lazy.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Amy's Less Sodium Frozen Entrees
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 02:40:44 PM »
Vegetarian meals.

Eaten by bad hunters.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2009, 03:57:29 PM »
Sounds like an acceptable side dish to grilled steak or pork ribs.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Chrissy

• MySpace page
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2009, 03:58:59 PM »
I'm not a vegetarian but I do try to eat veggie burgers because they have less calories.  I've yet to find a veggie burger that I like.  They are all so salty!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2009, 04:43:44 PM »
rice cakes have less calories also, but I don't eat them.  IMO, you are better off just getting extra lean beef and cooking them thin or smaller.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

41magsnub

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2009, 04:50:58 PM »
There is some serious occasional vegetarian meal eater hate here!  Find me a frozen non-vegetarian meal that is not crazy high in sodium then...

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2009, 04:55:17 PM »
They're called 'nuke & puke' for a reason.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

41magsnub

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2009, 05:16:36 PM »
They're called 'nuke & puke' for a reason.

Except they actually taste good?

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2009, 06:20:28 PM »
These things are quite good as long as the vegetarian thing does not throw you off.

Meh. Roll 'em in dough and deep fat fry 'em in bacon grease. :laugh:

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2009, 07:03:07 PM »
I'm not a vegetarian but I do try to eat veggie burgers because they have less calories.  I've yet to find a veggie burger that I like.  They are all so salty!

Make your own. Alton Brown has a GREAT recipe for veggie burgers that use split green peas as the base. Quite tasty.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Chrissy

• MySpace page
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2009, 09:33:20 PM »
Make your own. Alton Brown has a GREAT recipe for veggie burgers that use split green peas as the base. Quite tasty.

There was one time I found some that had portobella mushrooms and cheese in them.  Those were awesome.  But I can't find them anymore and I've tried all the stores around me.  I got a few different kinds at a store called Whole Foods, but none of them were those really good mushroom/cheese ones.  I wish I had time to make my own, but my work schedule doesn't allow it.   =(   I will probably end up going the lean meat way because I do like burgers - CHEESEBURGERS actually.   =)

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2009, 10:19:25 PM »

I don't remember the brand, but there does exist a spicy black bean veggie burger that is very good. I found it in the usual location of veggie burgers in the frozen food section.

Chili's used to have a Bandito Black Bean vegburg on their menu, and it was very good. I preferred it to their regular burgers.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Chrissy

• MySpace page
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2009, 06:42:25 AM »
I don't remember the brand, but there does exist a spicy black bean veggie burger that is very good. I found it in the usual location of veggie burgers in the frozen food section.

Chili's used to have a Bandito Black Bean vegburg on their menu, and it was very good. I preferred it to their regular burgers.

That's just it - I buy them from all different markets, then I can't remember where I got the good ones, lol.  I guess I have to keep trying. 

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2009, 07:51:58 AM »
That's just it - I buy them from all different markets, then I can't remember where I got the good ones, lol.  I guess I have to keep trying. 

See what a life of vegetarianism does to you, kids? It makes you forgetful. Next comes hairy palms....

jackdanson

• friend
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2009, 12:41:42 PM »
I don't remember the brand, but there does exist a spicy black bean veggie burger that is very good.

Morningstar farms.

Most Amy's products are pretty good.  Their pot pies are great.

I'm probably the only person on the planet that has recieved PETA and NRA mailings on the same day.  (I did NOT sign up for the peta mailings, my wife did, but I am a vegetarian)

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2009, 12:43:38 PM »
I've been buying the Morningstar veggie burgers for years, on my dietician sister's recommendation.  I doctor them up a bit before eating them, but they're really not too bad in the general scheme of things.
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

41magsnub

• friend
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2009, 01:06:53 PM »
Some of those vegeburgers are not terrible in the sodium department, some are very high.  It looks to me like the flavored ones are the bad ones in that regard.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2009, 02:25:45 PM »
I like the Gardenburgers in the bulk pack at Costco.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2009, 03:07:59 PM »
I like the Gardenburgers in the bulk pack at Costco.

Agreed. They are damned good. I miss them and the Tai Ling pot stickers because I'm not longer a Costco member.