Author Topic: Can someone explain this to me? Verizon requiring $400 security deposit?  (Read 28395 times)

Antibubba

• friend
Re: Can someone explain this to me? Verizon requiring $400 security deposit?
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2009, 06:41:39 PM »
Different carriers have different policies. At Sprint, with little or no credit history you'd probably have a $125-$150 deposit, but you'd also have a spending limit.  After 13 months of on-time payments your deposit would be refunded (actually, applied to your account balance), and your "credit reevaluated, which could mean a higher spending limit or no limit at all.  You'd be shocked how many customers still have that limit after three years, but you'd then understand why the need for a deposit exists.

How long will V keep your deposit?
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2009, 10:42:28 AM »
Sprint phones roam on Verizon's network and many of Sprint's plans have free roaming.  Sprint also has the best data network.  The result is you get all the coverage of Verizon with better data.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2009, 11:29:29 AM »
The ATT rollover is a gimmick. I'm an Alltel (now VZW) customer. I've run up 5000 minutes a month and been Well under the 900 minutes of my plan. The my circle plan makes much more sense than a rollover plan. I'm just glad vzw adopted it.

My wife and I have a 700 minute plan.  Our "home" phone number has been ported to our cellplan.  We use our cellphones for just about every call we make.  With VZ's free calls to other VZ customers, free nights and weekends, etc, we almost never use all of our minutes each month.

I've been a VZ Wireless customer for 8 years.  I can't say we've had any problems with them.  One time, when I had a problem with a smartphone that I didn't purchase a data plan for, I had to get them reverse the charges (didn't know a smartphone would automatically check for picture messages even without a data plan, running up huge bills).  They did it and the tech helped me modify the phone to not call out on it's own again (create a dummy connection that can't connect, it'll fail silently).

Chris

LofaroNYG

« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2009, 04:14:14 PM »
Different carriers have different policies. At Sprint, with little or no credit history you'd probably have a $125-$150 deposit, but you'd also have a spending limit.  After 13 months of on-time payments your deposit would be refunded (actually, applied to your account balance), and your "credit reevaluated, which could mean a higher spending limit or no limit at all.  You'd be shocked how many customers still have that limit after three years, but you'd then understand why the need for a deposit exists.

How long will V keep your deposit?

I got accepted for Sprint's spending limit plan thing, they want a deposit of $300 for two lines; so $150 a line. I don't completely understand the concept though. What is it, you can't spend over the amount of the plan you choose at the purchase? Also, that $300. That gets returned after a year just like Verizon's does? I wish Verizon offered me a $300 deposit on two lines; I really want the new Motorola Rival. But Verizon wanted $800 for two lines, but that was through Letstalk.com. A friend of mine went through Lets talk and they said Verizon wanted a security deposit. But then he signed up through Verizonwireless.com and they didn't ask for a deposit. So I am hoping that may be the same for me.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2009, 08:28:03 PM »
We just bought 3 Sprint phones, with 1500 anytime minutes per month and unlimited data/Internet.  It's called their Everything Data Family Plan, and costs us $130.00/month. The third number was basically free with a military discount.

No deposit was required.  I guess it depends on your TRW rating. 
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2009, 08:36:39 PM »
I guess it depends on your TRW rating. 

Nowadays that would be a Northrup Grumman rating... :D

Chris

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2009, 08:42:33 PM »
Hell, there's so many different credit rating names these days, I've just stuck with the old TRW moniker. 

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2009, 08:52:03 PM »
Maybe my joke was a bit too subtle.  NG bought the IT portion of TRW back in 2002. :D

Chris

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2009, 08:58:17 PM »
Ah.

My bad.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2009, 10:07:53 PM »
I really want the new Motorola Rival.

No need to go with Motorola's crappy knockoff: you can get a real Rival for $12.50 with no deposit right here.