Author Topic: Corn Bread  (Read 17387 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: Corn Bread
« Reply #50 on: August 10, 2009, 08:09:25 PM »
Yeah, it doesn't taste quite right, either.

I really think it has to do with the overly-wholesome red wheat flour I used.  High gluten flour.  Definitely not Gold Medal cheapo stuff.

Still tastes good, but not "corn bread."

It was the only flour I had, and I figured since it was really good flour that it would make really good corn bread.  Well, I was wrong.

When you make it bsl, do you do a 1:1 ratio of cornmeal to flour?
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #51 on: August 10, 2009, 08:11:21 PM »
Yeah, it doesn't taste quite right, either.

I really think it has to do with the overly-wholesome red wheat flour I used.  High gluten flour.  Definitely not Gold Medal cheapo stuff.

Still tastes good, but not "corn bread."

It was the only flour I had, and I figured since it was really good flour that it would make really good corn bread.  Well, I was wrong.

When you make it bsl, do you do a 1:1 ratio of cornmeal to flour?

jiffy mix, egg, milk, water? i don't remeber adding suger or powdery stuff. ???
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #52 on: August 10, 2009, 08:16:06 PM »
jiffy mix, egg, milk, water? i don't remeber adding suger or powdery stuff. ???

Ah, jiffy mix.  Not plain old corn meal.

Next time you're at the grocery store, check out a box of Alber's corn meal.  White corn meal was suggested on page 1, so I got white corn meal.  Recipe on back of box suggested 1 cup of corn meal to 1 cup of flour.

Looking back on page 1 again, a lot of the recipes that folks posted didn't have anything to do with wheat flour mixed in with the corn meal.

Must try again sometime in the next few weeks, but I'm all corn breaded-out and chili'ed out.  Gonna have to wait a week or two.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

InfidelSerf

• friend
« Reply #53 on: August 10, 2009, 09:12:59 PM »
Ok since the thread hasn't been closed, and I didn't see this classic combo mentioned I"ll toss my suggestion into the ring
err circle.. err square or whatever geometric shape you prefer your chili sides in.

1 box of Jiffy cornbread
1 box of Jiffy Yellowcake mix

makes excellent sweet cornbread.

I must say I like the idea of adding peppers to the mix I'll try that next batch of chili I whip up.
But that recipe is a whole other border war to discuss :D
The hour is fast approaching,on which the Honor&Success of this army,and the safety of our bleeding Country depend.Remember~Soldiers,that you are Freemen,fighting for the blessings of Liberty-that slavery will be your portion,and that of your posterity,if you do not acquit yourselves like men.GW8/76

Uncle Bubba

• friend
  • Billy Fish
« Reply #54 on: August 10, 2009, 09:18:32 PM »

For moistness, try the cornerstone of Southern biscuit- and cornbread making, buttermilk, instead of milk, AZ.

If you want it really moist, pour a glass of ice cold milk and crumble a chunk of the still-warm-from-the-oven cornbread in it. That's pret' near a meal itself.

It's a strange world. Some people get rich and others eat *expletive deleted*it and die. Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Quote from: Fly320s
But, generally speaking, people are idiots outside their own personal sphere.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #55 on: August 10, 2009, 09:56:37 PM »
AZ - your picture looks kinda like some Jamaican spicy cornbread (tasted like jalapeños or the Jamaican version thereof) I had recently. Really tasty but didn't look like regular cornbread.

I'm usually pretty good at baking stuff but absolutely suck at cornbread. I don't think I've ever baked a decent batch.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Racehorse

• friend
« Reply #56 on: August 10, 2009, 10:08:20 PM »
I made this last night:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Grandmothers-Buttermilk-Cornbread/Detail.aspx

It was really good. I just polished it off a few minutes ago, and it was still very moist.

I would never use whole wheat flour in cornbread. I think it would ruin it. White flour is the only way to go. But to each his/her own...

kira09

« Reply #57 on: August 19, 2009, 12:56:39 PM »
2 cups self-rising WHITE WHITE WHITE cornmeal - I like Martha White.
1 1/2 cups milk or buttermilk
1 egg
1/4 cup bacon grease - Lard is not as good.
1 tbsp. sugar

The sugar is optional, but if you don't use it, you won't have the amusing experience of having your guests ask where you got the amazing cornmeal. It will NOT make the cornbread sweet.

Preheat your oven to 450. Put a seasoned 9" skillet in the oven, with 1/4 cup of bacon grease inside. Make the batter.

Some recipes say to beat the egg. I think it makes absolutely no difference. Combine the meal, milk, egg, and sugar in a bowl. Add extra salt if you want. Mix thoroughly. THOROUGHLY.

When the grease is smoking and the skillet is hot, pour the grease into the batter. It will spatter a bit. Mix it in. Pour the batter into the hot skillet and bake for around 25 minutes.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #58 on: August 19, 2009, 01:11:09 PM »
We usually just use some pre-mixed stuff from a pouch.  I think it's either Marie Calender's or Betty Crocker brand....it's been a while since I made it, but I'm pretty sure all you have to do is add water and maybe eggs, then bake.

Turns out pretty good.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #59 on: August 19, 2009, 02:11:03 PM »
Does anyone here know how to make a particular style of cornbread that is flat, thin, and crusty?  My parents used to make it all the time but now can't remember the recipe.  Neither can anyone else in my family who used to make it (I fear it died with my Grandmother).  It was slathered into a shallow cookie sheet and baked in the oven.  The result was a thin and hard cornbread that you broke into pieces.  It was perfect to go with soups, stews, etc.

Chris

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #60 on: August 19, 2009, 02:14:03 PM »
Does anyone here know how to make a particular style of cornbread that is flat, thin, and crusty?  My parents used to make it all the time but now can't remember the recipe.  Neither can anyone else in my family who used to make it (I fear it died with my Grandmother).  It was slathered into a shallow cookie sheet and baked in the oven.  The result was a thin and hard cornbread that you broke into pieces.  It was perfect to go with soups, stews, etc.

Chris

My grandfather makes a similar cornbread (not hard, though. Crusty, but joyously fluffy on the inside). About 3/4 of an inch thick. He bakes it in a shallow pan.

I'll have to see if I can get the recipe. I think he just uses a standard recipe on the back of a cornmeal box/bag.

I haven't done much with cornbread because our oven just will not bake it worth a damn.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #61 on: December 16, 2009, 02:50:33 PM »
Makin' some corn bread tonight to go with homemade chili.  Yum. =D
--Lysander Spooner

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #62 on: December 16, 2009, 02:53:55 PM »
Does anyone here know how to make a particular style of cornbread that is flat, thin, and crusty?

Aren't those called tortilla chips?  =D

(sorry, couldn't resist :lol: )
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #63 on: December 16, 2009, 03:46:03 PM »
mtnbkr:

My grandmother pan-fried thin discs with a hole in the center. Came out brown and crunchy. The secret to hers seems to have been a thin batter made with very fine cornmeal (JT Pollard, I believe). It's delicious, and I'll eventually work up the nerve to try and replicate it. Doing something similar in the oven would seem to be a challenge. Oven-fried at high heat with oil/bacon drippings, perhaps?
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #64 on: December 16, 2009, 05:05:37 PM »
Does anyone here know how to make a particular style of cornbread that is flat, thin, and crusty?

My grandmother's recipe.

Preheat oven to 350.  Put your pan, fill with a pretty healthy amount of oil (couple tablespoons), in the skillet and let it preheat as well (I use toasted sesame).  Yes, that's a lot of oil, but it's the frying action that gets you the crusty bottom.

1-1/2 cups buttermilk
1/2-ish tsp baking soda (healthy pinch)
tsp salt
stir in self-rising cornmeal until the batter reaches the consistency of loose pancake batter

When the oil is hot enought for the batter to sizzle, pour in the batter.  Cook for 15-20 minutes until brown.

My grandmother used to make this in an old pie tin (No, you can't have it.  It is retired now, resting comfortably in a place of honor in my kitchen.)  Of course, the fact she used a huge dollop of bacon grease instead of some sissified cooking oil made hers even better.

If you're in a pinch you can make a reasonable facsimile by taking Jiffy mix and using buttermilk.  Mix it a little loose and ese the same "pour into preheated oil" method above.  Not quite as crunchy, but still tasty.

Brad
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 05:15:55 PM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

PTK

• friends
« Reply #65 on: December 16, 2009, 06:32:28 PM »
White flour!

Racist bakers.  :mad:

Also, I had to go make buffalo meat chili with homemade chili powder, and of course some cracklin cornbread. My internal medicine doctor is sure to hate you guys.  =D
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

Daniel964

• friend
« Reply #66 on: December 16, 2009, 07:20:40 PM »
Now you all did it. I had to dig up the ingredients to try and make some cornbread tonight. We'll see if its comes out ok in 15 more minutes.

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #67 on: December 16, 2009, 11:22:42 PM »
This.

Can't stand sweet cornbread...

Me neither. Real cornbread is made with white cornmeal, just enough self-rising flour to hold it together and rise, buttermilk, bacon drippings and eggs poured into and baked in a cast iron skillet. Under no circumstances should you add sugar.

Anyone using Jiffy mix and calling it cornbread should choke on it.
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #68 on: December 17, 2009, 12:23:35 AM »
This batch was 50% white corn meal, 25% red wheat flour and 25% white flour as far as the main components are concerned.  Recipe called for a 1/4 cup sugar but I split that into half sugar and half honey since I wanted the liquid caramelized feel of a sugar getting broiled.  Added some red/green peppers through it again, obligatory baking powder and salt, egg milk and oil.

I think I need to substitute the oil with something else, though.  You fellas keep mentioning bacon fat.  How do you store that so it's fresh to use for a later recipe?  I don't seem to ever have bacon drippings handy when I have a desire for corn bread, and I doubt I have a 1/3 cup of them from one session of bacon-cooking.

It obviously goes rancid left on the counter... I learned that one in college well enough.

Won't it go rancid in the fridge, too?
--Lysander Spooner

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #69 on: December 17, 2009, 12:27:52 AM »
Me neither. Real cornbread is made with white cornmeal, just enough self-rising flour to hold it together and rise, buttermilk, bacon drippings and eggs poured into and baked in a cast iron skillet. Under no circumstances should you add sugar.

Anyone using Jiffy mix and calling it cornbread should choke on it.

Cornbread is anything made with cornmeal that will A) soak up it's own weight in butter, B) goes well with beans and C)... well... I can't think of a C because now I'm drooling from thinking about A and B.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #70 on: December 17, 2009, 07:37:42 PM »
How do you store that so it's fresh to use for a later recipe?

In a cup on the stove that's refreshed daily.   =D
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.