Author Topic: Corn Bread  (Read 17426 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Corn Bread
« on: August 07, 2009, 04:24:21 PM »
Anyone have good corn bread recipes they want to share?

Havin' some home made crockpot chili for dinner and want some corn bread to go with it.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
Re: Corn Bread
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009, 04:41:21 PM »
I use two boxes of Jiffy Mix for a 12"  cast iron skillet. I do amend the recipe. I add 2/3rds of a cup of Bisquick or similar, extra milk, an extra egg or two and some brown sugar. Bake at 325° for about 45 mins. Don't ask me for actual measurements because I cook by look and feel.
" a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand." - Lucius Annaeus

for Military, Vets, & Supporters, check out:
USMILNET

Conservative Discussion Forum

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 04:43:12 PM »
Not exactly corn bread, but it's frigging awesome.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/sweet-corn-bread-pudding-recipe2/index.html

Other than that, I normally just use the recipe off the back of the bag of Indian Head corn meal.

http://www.wrmills.com/sweetcornbread.html
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2009, 04:46:46 PM »
Pick up any box/bag of cornmeal/cornbread mix, follow instructions, and add more butter than they recommend.

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2009, 04:53:23 PM »
Taken from Steven H. Graham's old blog:

2 cups self-rising WHITE WHITE WHITE cornmeal - I like Martha White.
1 1/2 cups milk or buttermilk
1 egg
1/4 cup bacon grease - Lard is not as good.
1 tbsp. sugar

The sugar is optional, but if you don't use it, you won't have the amusing experience of having your guests ask where you got the amazing cornmeal. It will NOT make the cornbread sweet.

Preheat your oven to 450. Put a seasoned 9" skillet in the oven, with 1/4 cup of bacon grease inside. Make the batter.

Some recipes say to beat the egg. I think it makes absolutely no difference. Combine the meal, milk, egg, and sugar in a bowl. Add extra salt if you want. Mix thoroughly. THOROUGHLY.

When the grease is smoking and the skillet is hot, pour the grease into the batter. It will spatter a bit. Mix it in. Pour the batter into the hot skillet and bake for around 25 minutes.

Tastes just like grandma's!

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2009, 04:54:26 PM »
Cracklin' Bread.  Google. it.

Chris

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2009, 05:10:51 PM »
Pick up any box/bag of cornmeal/cornbread mix, follow instructions, and add more butter than they recommend.
You might add a little more sugar also.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

crt360

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2009, 05:21:53 PM »
Cornbread, yum.  Jalapeno cornbread, yum+.
For entertainment purposes only.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2009, 05:28:02 PM »
2 cups self-rising WHITE WHITE WHITE cornmeal - I like Martha White.
1 1/2 cups milk or buttermilk
1 egg
1/4 cup bacon grease - Lard is not as good.
1 tbsp. sugar

Preheat your oven to 450. Put a seasoned 9" skillet in the oven, with 1/4 cup of bacon grease inside. Make the batter.

Combine the meal, milk, egg, and sugar in a bowl. Add extra salt if you want. Mix thoroughly. THOROUGHLY.

When the grease is smoking and the skillet is hot, pour the grease into the batter. It will spatter a bit. Mix it in. Pour the batter into the hot skillet and bake for around 25 minutes.

That's pretty much my grandmother's recipe. Yeah bacon grease!

If you don't have any self-rising cornmeal just use regular cornmeal but add 1 teaspoon of baking soda. You can use regular milk if you substitute baking powder for the baking soda. Flavor isn't as good though. You can also substitute toasted sesame oil for the bacon grease. Again, not quite as good but still very tasty.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2009, 06:15:31 PM »
Mix up two boxes of Jiffy Cornbread Mix as instructed.

Add 1/2 can black-eyed peas (drained) , 1/2 can corn (drained) , small can green chilies or 1/2 jar banana peppers (drained) , 1/4 cup fluid from the peppers, 1 cup shredded cheese (I prefer Fiesta Blend or medium Cheddar), and 1lb Owens Regular Sausage (optional, I prefer it w/o).

Spread into your largest casserole pan.

Bake according to Jiffy box directions until done (the toothpick comes out clean).

My wife hates peas of any kind, but she'll eat this stuff up....  =D
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2009, 06:34:47 PM »
jiffy mix and mom's neat octogon shaped pan. serve warm with butter melted on the inside. *yum*
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

thebaldguy

• friends
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2009, 06:41:41 PM »
Cornbread, yum.  Jalapeno cornbread, yum+.

I use the recipe on the back of the Quaker corn meal box with one or two diced jalapenos thrown in. I have a 8 piece round cast iron cornbread skillet that I heat up in the oven first, then I grease/oil it up and put in the batter.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2009, 09:11:57 PM »
We use Stonewall Kitchen's buttermilk mix.  It's good to go as is, but shredded cheddar and jalepeno slices make it better.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Uncle Bubba

• friend
  • Billy Fish
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2009, 09:15:51 PM »

Whatever recipe you follow, do not under any circumstances put sugar in it. If you use sugar to make it it's not cornbread, it's cake made with corn meal rather than flour.

Selah.

It's a strange world. Some people get rich and others eat *expletive deleted*it and die. Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Quote from: Fly320s
But, generally speaking, people are idiots outside their own personal sphere.

Reifen

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2009, 09:19:06 PM »
Whatever recipe you follow, do not under any circumstances put sugar in it. If you use sugar to make it it's not cornbread, it's cake made with corn meal rather than flour.

Selah.

This.

Can't stand sweet cornbread...

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2009, 09:20:42 PM »

Selah.

people do this. ??? and the point is?
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2009, 09:28:57 PM »
The key ingredient. Whatever recipe you decide on, just make sure you cook it in a cast iron pan. No other right way to do it IMO.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2009, 10:11:08 PM »
+1 to cast iron. Pre heat the skillet in the oven before you put your batter in it.

Sugar or no sugar? I guess it depends on which side of the TN/KY border you happen to be on. North seems to include sugar and south doesn't.

bob

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2009, 01:27:05 AM »
people do this. ??? and the point is?

There's a couple of reasons for adding sugar.

1. It enhances the taste of the corn. Corn and sugar are natural analogs.

2. It enhances browning.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2009, 01:28:48 AM »
3. It enhances diabetes. I used to love corn pudding, fair amount of sugar in there, tasted great. Not so much anymore.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2009, 01:42:40 AM »
There's a couple of reasons for adding sugar.

1. It enhances the taste of the corn. Corn and sugar are natural analogs.

2. It enhances browning.

Yep, a little sugar is fine as it enhances the taste but proper corn bread shouldn't be sweet tasting.  Grandma referred to that as "Johnny Cake."

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2009, 09:05:31 AM »
It depends on what you're serving the cornbread with....if you're doing a chili or spicy stew or pot of beans, a little sweetness doesn't hurt....sweet cornbread is also great for breakfast....with a sweet main dish like a cold broccoli salad or black-eyed peas cooked with sweet onion, you want the non-sweetened cornbread....

....I enjoy both....  =D
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2009, 09:08:31 AM »
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2009, 09:46:26 AM »
Anyone have good corn bread recipes they want to share?

<shrug>.  Make regular cornbread, but with whole (non-degerminated) corn meal.  It's much closer to a flour, and the end result is much closer to being bread.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Uncle Bubba

• friend
  • Billy Fish
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2009, 01:21:55 PM »

<shrug>.  Make regular cornbread, but with whole (non-degerminated) corn meal.  It's much closer to a flour, and the end result is much closer to being bread.

Nothing personal, but that seems kinda pointless. If you're gonna do that then just use flour and make hoecake and don't fret with the cornmeal.

It's a strange world. Some people get rich and others eat *expletive deleted*it and die. Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Quote from: Fly320s
But, generally speaking, people are idiots outside their own personal sphere.