Author Topic: Canadian Policy on Sperm Donation in Commentary & Article  (Read 3620 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Canadian Policy on Sperm Donation in Commentary & Article
« on: August 11, 2009, 11:28:50 AM »

http://corner.nationalreview.com/post/?q=MmQ1YzAyYTM3NDYwMGQ5MDdkYTA3ZDlhMjdmODE5ZmM=

The Ultimate Outsourcing   [Mark Steyn]

My jaw doesn't often drop, but this story had it heading for the basement:

Thousands of Canadians who are infertile in Canada have to place all their hopes on just 33 men who are Canadian sperm donors.

What? A nation of 30 million people has just 33 sperm donors? Apparently so. Now why would that be?

At one time Canada had two dozen sperm banks but when the Assisted Human Reproduction Act made it illegal to pay for sperm or egg donors they dried up in 2004.

Today there are very few men willing to give up their sperm for nothing.

Well, okay. But these 33 hard-workin' guys, there's still room for a bit of individual selection, right? Up to a point:

"Today, there is one South Asian donor for all of Canada," he says, noting that couples are often shocked at the limited choices.

One donor for thousands of wannabe parents? He must be working round the clock. Well, not quite. For Canadian womenfolk have now been reduced to the ultimate indignity:

Doctors and patients have had little choice but to use sperm and eggs from south of the border.

One of the biggest suppliers of donor sperm is Outreach Health Services which imports and distributes semen for assisted reproduction clinics across Canada. The company imports sperm from an agency that collects primarily from men in Georgia and northern Florida, where donors are paid about $100 per visit.

With so much sperm coming from the States, some estimate that up to 80 per cent of babies conceived in Canada through donor sperm have American DNA.

Wow. This isn't your father's War of 1812. The poor Canucks never saw it coming. Millions of Yank sperm leaping like salmon up the Ontario side of Niagara Falls.

A wait for semen seems pretty much the logical reductio of "free at the point of demand" health care. But, as Kathy Shaidle says, how can this go wrong? Canada, circa 2050: Eighty percent drawling rednecks demanding grits with their maple-creme donuts, and the remainder a vast tribe of intermarried step-siblings riddled with genetic disorders descended from "one South Asian donor."

So, are all these Canadians American citizens, since they are the sons of American citizens?

Would the Canadian political class describe this sort of thing as "Work Canadians won't do?"

[Actually, it seems the problem is identical to the "work American's won't do" problem: artificially low wages/compensation for the product of citizens .]

Just imagine if, say, Ohio imported most its "product" from south of the M-D line.  I suspect a certain poster might lay awake at nights, envisioning all the unmowed lawns, autos on blocks, and poor dentition coming from supposedly good, yankee families.

-I edited your thread title.  Wholly inappropriate.-Jamisjockey
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 11:34:04 AM by JamisJockey »
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: Canadian Policy on Sperm Donation in Commentary & Article
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 11:35:53 AM »
Lets be clear.  Interesting article and its telling of our future in Socialized health care.  But I can see the insanity that might develop.  If anyone gets stupid in this thread, expect repercussions.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 11:39:45 AM »
One of the biggest suppliers of donor sperm is Outreach Health Services which imports and distributes semen for assisted reproduction clinics across Canada. The company imports sperm from an agency that collects primarily from men in Georgia and northern Florida, where donors are paid about $100 per visit.

How often can you "visit"?
I could think of worse ways to make a little mad money.

I'm going to have to do some digging but I seem to remember that there was a recent court ruling where a supposed annonymous donor was found financialy responsible in a paternity suit (CA I think).
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 11:51:17 AM »
Anything I post will probably get deleted and have me permenantly banned.  So I simply say:

;/ :O =D :angel: :cool: :lol: :police: =D :O ;/ :lol: :angel: :police:
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2009, 12:02:23 PM »
Do Canadians have to pass a test or something in order to become sperm donors?  Or is it just that Canadian men (except these 33) are not willing to give it up without some cash return?  Per the article, it appears to be option #2.

I wonder why the social engineers are not worried about the limited pool of donors.

I'm with scout26 on this one, except for the being banned part.  Just too wierd for words.

stay safe.

skidmark
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2009, 12:13:49 PM »
Wow....just 33 guys for millions of Canadians....that's one killer daily production quota....  :O

And it makes me wonder....if Obamacare creates this same situation for the US, which 33 guys would the administration select?....  =|
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2009, 01:08:05 PM »
If anyone gets stupid in this thread, expect repercussions.
Oh, just go ahead and lock the thread now . . . with a topic like this, the thread is sure to go into a death spiral any moment now . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2009, 02:17:39 PM »
....wow, and I thought that the enemies of commercial organ donations could not get more stupid and evil. I was wrong.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2009, 02:29:11 PM »
....wow, and I thought that the enemies of commercial organ donations could not get more stupid and evil. I was wrong.

More stupid & more evil is always an option.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2009, 04:10:39 PM »
Is it just a coincidence that the thread title combines the terms "Sperm Donation" and "Spank"?

:|
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2009, 04:24:15 PM »
Is it just a coincidence that the thread title combines the terms "Sperm Donation" and "Spank"?

I thought I fixed that.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2009, 04:52:11 PM »
How often can you "visit"?
I could think of worse ways to make a little mad money.

I'm going to have to do some digging but I seem to remember that there was a recent court ruling where a supposed annonymous donor was found financialy responsible in a paternity suit (CA I think).

Here-http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,271116,00.html
Here-http://fathersforlife.org/fatherhood/estoppel.htm
Here-http://www.newsday.com/long-island/court-says-sperm-donor-liable-for-child-support-1.878072
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

crt360

• friend
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2009, 04:57:26 PM »
Are the Canadian wannabe moms required to watch Deliverance prior to signing any insemination agreement?
For entertainment purposes only.

xavier fremboe

• friends
  • All-American Meanie
    • The Shop
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2009, 05:25:16 PM »
Aw hell.  I've typed three things already to intro this onion article, and they're all thread killers.  Funny, but thread killers.  Meh.   =|

Perhaps NSFW.

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/33564
If the bandersnatch seems even mildly frumious, best to shun it.  Really. http://www.cctplastics.com

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2009, 06:21:48 PM »

A better term might have been, "chastise."
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

Mike

• friend
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2009, 01:40:44 AM »
Wouldn't just 33 donors lead to inbreeding down the line? :O

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2009, 10:51:32 AM »
Wouldn't just 33 donors lead to inbreeding down the line? :O

Yes, especially when there is just one "south asian" donor for the millions of SAs who want a SA-looking child.

A few generations of that foolishness and it would be a BYOB party:
Bring
Your
Own
Banjo
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton