Author Topic: Mints Believed To Be Crack Land Man In Jail  (Read 16215 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Mints Believed To Be Crack Land Man In Jail
« on: August 21, 2009, 04:10:47 PM »
http://www.wftv.com/irresistible/20435114/detail.html

Mints Believed To Be Crack Land Man In Jail

Posted: 5:27 pm EDT August 17, 2009Updated: 11:30 am EDT August 19, 2009
KISSIMMEE, Fla. -- A man is suing the Kissimmee Police Department for an arrest over mints. When officers pulled Donald May over for an expired tag, they thought the mints he was chewing were crack and arrested him.

May told Eyewitness News they wouldn't let him out of jail for three months until tests proved the so-called drugs were candy.

May said he was just minding his business, driving home from work, when a Kissimmee police officer pulled him over near 192.

"I don't know how it occurred," he said.

May was pulled over for an expired tag on his car. When the officer walked up to him, he noticed something white in May's mouth. May said it was breath mints, but the officer thought it was crack cocaine.

"He took them out of my mouth and put them in a baggy and locked me up [for] possession of cocaine and tampering with evidence," May explained.

The officer claimed he field-tested the evidence and it tested positive for drugs. The officer said he saw May buying drugs while he was stopped at an intersection. He also stated in his report May waived his Miranda rights and voluntarily admitted to buying drugs.

May said that never happened.

"My client never admitted he purchased crack cocaine. Why would he say that?" attorney Adam Sudbury said.

May was thrown in jail and was unable to bond out for three months. He didn't get out until he received a letter from the Florida Department of Law Enforcement and the State Attorney's Office that test results showed no drugs were found.

"While I was sitting in jail I lost my apartment. I lost everything," he said.

While May was behind bars, the Kissimmee Police Department towed his car and auctioned it off. He lost his job and was evicted. Now May is suing the city for false arrest and false imprisonment. He wants to be compensated for the loss of his car and job.

May's attorney and the city of Kissimmee discussed a possible settlement last year, but failed to reach an agreement.

Copyright 2009 by wftv.com. All rights reserved.

I hope this one doesn't go off the deep end too quick.  I am sure this is one side of it.  I doubt the police department commented too much.  I saw it on Preacherman's blog.  I guess I have a few thoughts regarding this.

1.  Articles like this really impress upon me how mistakes or misunderstandings with police can thoroughly and completely wreck your life.  I don't know if there were other circumstances with this individual at the time he was pulled over, but it is pretty serious business and makes me thankful that I have never been arrested for anything. 

2.  Would it do any good or be good to require by law that all police officers wear microphones that are recorded during any time where they interact with anyone while on duty?  IMO, if the officer had that option during this stop and chose not to use it, it puts into question anything he claims regarding the traffic stop.  At least as a juror, I would have that attitude.  If it was recorded, all those admissions and waiving of rights claimed in the article would be on tape.  When I served on a jury for a murder trial, the suspect gave a taped confession.  The officer conducting the interview was very clear and careful when he covered that part of the interview.  I guess it makes all sorts of sense to me and I can't see why it would be a bad thing.

3.  What is the "field test" for crack cocaine and why does it have any weight at all when lab testing takes months?  It seems to me he could have held the guy there a couple hours and it would have been obvious very fast if he was chewing on crack cocaine. 
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 04:18:47 PM by MechAg94 »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
Re: Mints Believed To Be Crack Land Man In Jail
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2009, 04:24:38 PM »

Police claim they saw him buy drugs.  It's possible that he bought the mints from a dealer, believing them to be crack.

It's also possible the cops arrested a completely innocent man.

The guy apparently committed no crime, lost his apartment, his job, his car, and three months of his life.  Wow . . . just . . . wow.

""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2009, 04:37:34 PM »
Wait, police can actually reach in your mouth and pull out food you happen to be chewing so they could examine it?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2009, 04:39:18 PM »
we gotta get you out more
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2009, 04:43:28 PM »
we gotta get you out more

No, thanks. The more I learn, the more the proverbial basement seems preferable.  =D =D

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

• friends
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2009, 04:54:24 PM »
i just wanna watch the look on your face  :angel: ;/
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

Iain

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2009, 06:18:12 PM »
I assume his car was left wherever he was picked up, so they then towed it and auctioned it. I suppose he might have had someone able to pick the car up from the road or the pound, but they knew where he was and still auctioned it. I dunno, I think I'd be pissed about that, in addition to the three months in jail.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2009, 09:13:44 PM »
I assume his car was left wherever he was picked up, so they then towed it and auctioned it. I suppose he might have had someone able to pick the car up from the road or the pound, but they knew where he was and still auctioned it. I dunno, I think I'd be pissed about that, in addition to the three months in jail.

I would too.  It's not like they gave him the money from the auction either.

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2009, 09:59:20 PM »
Hey. Relax. It's another Glorious Victory in the War on (Some) Drugs!
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2009, 10:02:20 PM »
One can only hope this man will become very rich from this travesty.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2009, 01:17:36 AM »
Right. Our only hope is that he manages to soak the TAXPAYERS when he sues the police department. Our sole hope is that hopefully if we are oppressed by the police, at least we can pay ourselves damages.

Remember, you are not being oppressed.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2009, 02:51:16 AM »
Right. Our only hope is that he manages to soak the TAXPAYERS when he sues the police department. Our sole hope is that hopefully if we are oppressed by the police, at least we can pay ourselves damages.

Remember, you are not being oppressed.

So he should do nothing and not be compensated for everything that he lost because of there mistake? Just receive an, oops sorry?
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

freedom lover

• resident high school student
  • "Who is the Coon?"
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2009, 03:03:11 AM »
3.  What is the "field test" for crack cocaine and why does it have any weight at all when lab testing takes months?

1) The only field test I know of is the old fashioned way. Rub it on the gums and see if they go numb. I was under the impression they stopped that because of the nasty stuff cocaine can be cut with. I doubt he did that after it was in the man's mouth.

2) Lab testing doesn't take months. You could perform all the tests in a matter of minutes. I did tests on fake stuff in a laboratory exam. The forensic labs are probably extremely backlogged in that area.

It seems to me he could have held the guy there a couple hours and it would have been obvious very fast if he was chewing on crack cocaine. 

He easily could have. The problem lies in the legal seriousness of the charge. No department would have let the guy go until he was proven innocent. He could have been some kind of freak who was not affected by cocaine. It's possible. I know someone who is not affected by caffeine.

As for my knowledge of police and forensics? My chemistry teacher worked with them in the past. We had a unit where we were taught the basics and got to perform tests on simulated evidence. He wanted to teach an elective class on it but that was not approved.

• friends
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2009, 08:20:41 AM »
there are some quick and dirty field tests for various substances and that length of backlog in the lab is not unheard of. the field tests are not admissible in court as more than probable cause

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2009, 09:06:39 AM »

One can only hope you don't take everything in such an overly literal fashion.   :O
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Mike

• friend
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2009, 10:57:34 AM »
Why didn't they do a blood test???? That would have shown if he had drugs in his system! :O

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2009, 11:29:35 AM »
Why didn't they do a blood test???? That would have shown if he had drugs in his system! :O

Because that is a far far too simple solution to this problem.
Look, tiny text!

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2009, 11:41:42 AM »
So he should do nothing and not be compensated for everything that he lost because of there mistake? Just receive an, oops sorry?

No, he should be compensated.  The point that zahc was making is that the officer in question and even the department aren't taking any personal hit.  It's all going back to the taxpayers. 

The officer in question (aside from the probable perjury) and the department was probably following procedures when they cheerfully destroyed a guy's life over a set of breathmints.  The problem isn't with the local police, it's the law.  The WOD needs to be changed and mostly scrapped.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2009, 12:55:44 PM »
Yeah, ideally the officers who did it would be personally accountable, and the Wo(s)D would go away. Ideally they'd repeal every gun law from the NFA forward and go with Alaska carry everywhere. I'll take what I can get though.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2009, 02:00:30 PM »
there are some quick and dirty field tests for various substances and that length of backlog in the lab is not unheard of. the field tests are not admissible in court as more than probable cause
Key word there.  Those field testing kits are horrible.  Lots of things have come up with false positives.

Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

• friends
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2009, 02:08:59 PM »
indeed thats why they send stuff off to the lab

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2009, 02:28:21 PM »
errrrr... can i ask a question? somebody has to know... what does crack smell like? i mean, it doesn't smell like peperments or altoids or something, does it? and i'm sure you can detect oder without getting an involentary dose of crack...  =|

so a quick and dirty feild test went positive, but is known to get get regular false positives, so how long does it take to do a quick three instead of one?  :|
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2009, 02:49:55 PM »
Right. Our only hope is that he manages to soak the TAXPAYERS when he sues the police department.

I'm failing to feel too much compassion for the innocent widdle taxpayers on this. THey've voted for the War on Drugs; now they're paying for it.

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2009, 03:12:50 PM »
The WOD needs to be changed and mostly scrapped.
Whatever would we do with all the people no longer employed in it?
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2009, 04:23:04 PM »
...THey've voted for the War on Drugs; now they're paying for it.

And what of us who own Wookie suits and live our own basements?  We've consistently voted against the War on (Some) Drugs, do we still pay for the folly of our neighbors?

Let those who acted directly pay the cost for this idiocy.  Maybe their fellows would learn from the example.

Whatever would we do with all the people no longer employed in it?

(Penal colonies on) Luna strikes me as a good option.  Adventure on the Far Frontier; Working for the betterment of their fellow man; riches beyond the dreams of avarice.

Aside from a tinge of green, it works for me.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.