Author Topic: Revolution!  (Read 4146 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Revolution!
« on: August 28, 2009, 11:07:59 AM »
Got yer Gadsden flags ready?

http://www.chickashanews.com/local/local_story_239102559.html/

At a town hall meeting Wednesday Sen. Jim Inhofe told Chickasha residents he does not need to read the 1,000 page health care reform bill, he will simply vote against it.

"I don't have to read it, or know what's in it. I'm going to oppose it anyways," he said.

Inhofe said public opinion and information provided by news media have helped him become a staunch non-supporter of the bill. He said he would prefer waiting until after mid-term elections to enact reforms. He did not say nothing should be done. He simply feels that a topic as important as healthcare should not be rushed through the Senate or House of Representatives.

City Council Member Hank Ross agreed with Inhofe. Ross owns a medical care company in Chickasha. He said he does not believe the government would be efficient in providing care and would like to see reforms happen at a slower pace.

"I personally think Obama has over reached," Ross said. "I think we need to treat this with kid gloves and do it right."

Inhofe also spoke about the diminishing military budget and the closing of the Guantanamo Bay Detention Center, but healthcare was the hot button subject.

Inhofe took the opportunity to blame democrats for a bevy of issues. He lashed out at democrats for overtaking the government and spending billions of dollars on unpopular packages. He said government is becoming too big and overreaching its boundaries.

"People are not buying these concepts that are completely foreign to America," Inhofe said. "We're almost reaching a revolution in this country."

Many in the meeting agreed and were vocal about their disdain for the current climate in Washington.

"No more compromise," Chickasha resident Ed Hicks said. "We're losing our country."

Inhofe's town hall meeting was much like others happening during the Senate's recess. Except there was no dissent, just concerns about change and what is happening in Washington. Health care reform was the main topic of discussion, but some voiced their worries that the Cap and Trade bill would hurt local oil producers. Others were worried about their Second Amendment right and their ability to own and carry firearms.

Inhofe tried to squelch the concerns, but until Republicans take control of at least one branch of the government it will be an uphill battle. He said he will do anything he can to keep fighting and promote the wants and needs of his constituents when he returns to Washington next month.

http://www.rollcall.com/news/38005-1.html

WACONIA, Minn. — Rep. John Kline (R-Minn.) told members of the U.S. Chamber of Commerce here Thursday afternoon that Republicans and Democrats should throw out the proposed Democratic and Republican health care bills and start over.

“It’s time to push the reset button,” Kline said to more than 50 constituents gathered at the Island View Golf Club.

Over a standard Midwestern meat and potatoes buffet lunch, Kline said that the Obama administration’s claim that people who are happy with their health care coverage will be able to continue with the same insurance plans in the future isn’t accurate.

“If you like it, you can keep it, is simply not true,” Kline said.

Medicare Advantage is one program, according to Kline, that would be significantly changed.

The four-term Republican has opted against the more public platform of holding health care town halls, favoring talking with smaller groups of constituents.

Rep. Tim Walz (D), who represents an adjoining district in southern Minnesota, publicly invited Kline to partake in a joint town hall earlier this month, but Kline declined, questioning the intention of the invitation.

The newly installed ranking member on the House Education and Labor Committee has been a vocal opponent against the Democratic health care reform proposal from the start.

That committee role has given Kline the platform to lambaste the Obama administration and the Democratic-controlled Congress for not working in a bipartisan manner. While the Democratic majority on the panel voted the health care legislation out of committee, Kline has publicly dismissed the 1,000-plus page legislation as a Democratic bill.

Kline said he would continue to “oppose it hard.”

Kline said he believed there are some areas of health care reform that Democrats and Republicans can agree on, including expanding coverage for students until they are 25 years old.

Kline also proposed adding medical malpractice reforms to the overall health care package.

U.S Chamber of Commerce Vice President for Regional Affairs and Advocacy Doug Loon said he’s heard members react to the legislation with anxiety and questions about health care reform in the 10 Chamber of Commerce events he’s been at over the past three weeks.

“Everybody’s an expert in health care because it affects everybody,” Loon said.

Minnesota state Rep. Paul Kohls (R), who is running for governor in 2010, says he shares the concerns that have been raised by the public. As a candidate, Kohls said, the biggest anxiety is about how reform could impact state Medicaid budgets.

“There’s a huge concern about the impact on all the states’ Medicaid budgets,” Kohls said. Additionally, Kohls said that Minnesota has led the way in health care reform in the past and he wants to make sure that those reforms remain.

“We’ve led the nation here in Minnesota,” Kohls said, citing the growth of health savings accounts among Minnesotans. “I don’t want to see those reforms being rolled back as a result of nationalized health care.”

Maryann Porter, owner of Rising Star Dance Academy in Victoria and Silver Swan Studios in Albertville, said she would like Congress to slow down instead of pushing through a health care plan this year.

“I don’t want them to make hasty decisions,” Porter said. “I think there are more ideas that need to be embraced.”

So far, Porter said she supports the co-op option.

“We have a wonderful hospital,” Porter said. “I’d rather pay my premium to it. Let’s take out the middle man.”

Settle down, put the M14 back in the safe and get back to your computer.... =D

Drudge worded those in quite an interesting manner on his website.

Congressman: 'It's Time to Push the Reset Button'...

SENATOR: 'We're almost reaching a revolution in this country'...

Just thought it was fun. :angel:

Fistful can revolt, though.  He's always revolting. :lol:
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Iain

• friend
Re: Revolution!
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2009, 11:19:56 AM »
"I don't have to read it, or know what's in it. I'm going to oppose it anyways,"

Well, yeah. Didn't take much to figure out what was going on.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2009, 11:51:00 AM »
"I don't have to read it, or know what's in it. I'm going to oppose it anyways,"

You don't have to read the bill to know that most of your constituents are opposed to it and to do the right thing by them. 

You don't have to read the bill to know that rushing legislation through before the country has time to consider it is a good way to make bad law.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2009, 11:59:33 AM »

Most of the people who are promoting it haven't read it, either.  I'd rather have someone who hadn't read it yet oppose it than support it, as if the bill fails, all we end up with is the status quo, where as if it passes those who never read it have no idea what the bill will actually do. For all they know, they could be voting to make Obama Emperor for Life (not saying that's in the bill; just saying that there can be some grave consequences for passing legislation you have not read).
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

jackdanson

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2009, 12:02:59 PM »
For all they know, they could be voting to make Obama Emperor for Life

Oh no, that's in the bill?!  I'm going to spread this around to other forums!

Iain

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2009, 12:09:12 PM »
Most of the people who are promoting it haven't read it, either.

I didn't say they are not idiots too.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2009, 02:48:30 PM »
Hunting over bait, AZRH44?   =D
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2009, 02:51:44 PM »
Just mod hunting... :angel:
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2009, 02:59:36 PM »
Just mod hunting... :angel:

That's in the realm of dangerous game hunting. :P

Chris

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2009, 03:15:18 PM »

And finally... =D

--Lysander Spooner

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2009, 06:12:26 PM »
"People are not buying these concepts that are completely foreign to America," Inhofe said. "We're almost reaching a revolution in this country."

Buying those concepts, no; paying for them, yes.

We should have revolted in 1861.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2009, 07:23:38 PM »
A-Ha!

I can haz Revolution? Kthnx, bye!
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2009, 07:28:36 PM »

Why would he need to read it?

I am opposed to all state involvement in health care. Since I already know this bill will increase this involvement, why would I need to know more about this bill to vote against it?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2009, 07:50:19 PM »
Regarding reading the whole bill, and quoting Orson Scott Card - "I don't have to eat the whole turd to realize it's not a Hershey bar."
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2009, 08:01:59 PM »

As a state employee, I've used this method a lot....  =D
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

erictank

• friends
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2009, 08:59:16 PM »

As a state employee, I've used this method a lot....  =D

That image is my current home laptop's wallpaper.  The family liked it better than the previous one I had:   (url is http://www.motifake.com/index.php?start=958 - I can NEVER post images, on ANY board I'm on!)

My wife actually asked me if I was mad over something, when she saw that one...

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2009, 12:46:37 AM »
I don't have a problem with Inhofe's (my Senator) position on this bill.
Like someone said above, I don't have to eat a crap sandwich to know it isn't going to be good for me.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams