Author Topic: "Black smoker" from the ocean floor...  (Read 2531 times)

PTK

• friends
"Black smoker" from the ocean floor...
« on: September 06, 2009, 10:13:21 PM »
I have a piece of one of the chimney vents on the ocean floor as recovered by ALVIN submersible. Is there any interest in a short write-up and photographs to go with?  =)
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

Bigjake

• friend
Re: "Black smoker" from the ocean floor...
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2009, 10:20:32 PM »
Um.. Sure...

Where'd ya get such a critter?  how deep did the pluck it from?

PTK

• friends
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2009, 10:24:24 PM »
I'd have to look at the vial, but it was DEEP. ~2500m, if I recall right.

I got it from my uncle, who worked at Woods Hole Oceanographic Institute and did the wiring for ALVIN, along with other jobs.

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2009, 10:25:00 PM »
Yes.

Show n' Tell time.

That is cool.
I promise not to duck.

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2009, 10:28:21 PM »
That is pretty friggin cool. 

Moar story??

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2009, 10:31:16 PM »
Did that come from Spongebob's house, or what?  ???
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

PTK

• friends
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2009, 11:10:14 PM »
ALVIN dive number 3787, 19th of May 2002. 9deg N, 104deg W, depth ~2500m.

Quote from: WHOI
3787   05/19/02   East Pacific Rise - 9N Off Axis   09-27.25N   104-31.81W   3067   R. Williams   Ken Macdonald   Rachel Haymon

Basically, a black smoker is a chimney funneling hot supersteam/liquid out of it that is supersaturated with minerals from the magma it has come in contact with. The liquid deposits the minerals when it hits cooler sea water. The piece of the black smoker I have is blue, yellow, red, etc. Very pretty, but a STRONG sulfur smell.

Anyway, one day back in 2003, my uncle decided that I was mature enough to hang onto this - only a few pieces are in private hands, as far as I know.

He's unfortunately no longer working for WHOI, as constant diving in SCUBA gear took its toll - the man can hardly hear and his bones sort of decayed. I don't know the exact medical terms, but he's not to go any deeper than 15ft of water, now. He can't even dive in a sub.  =|

What else would you folks like to know? I'm willing to babble on about this thing for a while, but there's only so much I know about it!  =D

Video and info, frame by frame

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_smoker
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 11:17:47 PM by PTK »

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2009, 12:38:36 AM »
Gotta say, after reading the thread title, the first thing I thought of was something like this:  :laugh:

That's really cool, though, PTK--made even better by the story behind it.  =)
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2009, 05:27:43 AM »
I'd have to look at the vial, but it was DEEP. ~2500m, if I recall right.

I got it from my uncle, who worked at Woods Hole Oceanographic Institute and did the wiring for ALVIN, along with other jobs.
It doesn't count unless you get it yourself in a free dive. :)

Basically, a black smoker is a chimney funneling hot supersteam/liquid out of it that is supersaturated with minerals from the magma it has come in contact with.

Globular warming!
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 05:32:03 AM by Fly320s »
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2009, 05:44:35 AM »
Say, was that the infamous finger, in the pikkie, being used to hold up the chunk of stuff?

How's it doing these days?

stay safe.

skidmark
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2009, 08:42:20 AM »
very cool stuff!

My buddy Emory Kristof was on the expedition that "found" the deep sea vents
http://www.divephotoguide.com/user/3756/gallery/112/

I was slated to go out on a MIR dive in support of Natty Geo's story on I-52 back in 1999
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_submarine_I-52
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

PTK

• friends
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2009, 09:12:00 AM »
Say, was that the infamous finger, in the pikkie, being used to hold up the chunk of stuff?

How's it doing these days?

stay safe.

skidmark

Nope, thumb and first two fingers. The pinkie is... well, numb and cold. It's room temp, mostly.  =D

My buddy Emory Kristof...

You KNOW HIM?!  :O It's probably just my uncle's doing through lots of name recognition, but that's up there with other famous names, to me! That's too cool!  =D

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2009, 11:26:16 AM »
I find the black smokers absolutely fascinating. Saw them again on the "Planet Earth" series last night.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2009, 10:32:07 PM »
Emory and i collaborated on several natty geo stories

I created the 3D images for the 1998 Magazine story on the Titanic for Emory one night
and the following morning the Editor decided to run it as an article.
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Stetson

• friends
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2009, 11:02:51 AM »
This is awesome!

I have had an interest in all things oceanographic since I was a kid, so these stories are incredible to me!

Thank you Harold and PTK