Author Topic: The Digital Divide  (Read 3742 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
The Digital Divide
« on: September 07, 2009, 01:38:30 PM »
I'm taking some Computers for Morons courses lately, and the textbooks all want to warn me about the Digital Divide; those with computer/internet access have an advantage over those without.  Even public libraries and schools in poorer neighborhoods are at a disadvantage with those in more affluent areas.

I'm not sure why this is brought up.  Do driver's education courses talk about the divide between those with and without cars?  Lack of transportation can be a pretty serious disadvantage in the job market. 

Aren't the poor always at a disadvantage in just about everything?  Isn't that why we all want money? 

Or am I missing something? 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
Re: The Digital Divide
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2009, 01:44:55 PM »
Even public libraries and schools in poorer neighborhoods are at a disadvantage with those in more affluent areas.

Not necessarily true.  Computer and Internet use can be a trap.  I'd take a library with no computers, and good books, any time.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

freedom lover

• resident high school student
  • "Who is the Coon?"
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2009, 01:55:19 PM »
I'm not sure why this is brought up.

The authors might feel strongly enough about the issue to put it in their book when it is not necessary. What that tells you about them is your decision.

Aren't the poor always at a disadvantage in just about everything?  Isn't that why we all want money? 

Most definately.

FTA84

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2009, 01:57:35 PM »
Job security?

Poor people don't have access to (), I teach (), therefore there should be government assistance to pay me to train the poor in ().

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2009, 02:06:35 PM »
That's what I always thought.

Even public libraries and schools in poorer neighborhoods are at a disadvantage with those in more affluent areas.
So not only are there two Americas, there are two Googles?

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2009, 02:09:44 PM »
The last two posts are awesomes!!11

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2009, 05:14:22 PM »
Leftists focus upon divisions. America has always focused on similarities.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2009, 07:07:14 PM »
So not only are there two Americas, there are two Googles?

Yes.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2009, 07:22:55 PM »
There are excellent charities out there hepling poor people get access to computers.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2009, 07:32:55 PM »
There are excellent charities out there hepling poor people get access to computers.

But the French all have computers through their telephones, which are operated by the Post Office.

And we want to be just like them?  Why?

stay safe.

skidmark
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2009, 07:42:39 PM »
Because they're thin and sophisticated. 

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2009, 10:35:23 PM »

The French still tend to bathe once a week whether they need it or not.

By the bye, it may be worthwhile to look up the word "sophistry," which resides at the root of "sophisticated," a word of fairly recent origin.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2009, 06:57:26 PM »
I'm still surprised by how many Americans under the age of 60 don't have a computer.  I'm shocked by how many don't have an email address they can check at the library, church, or community center.  What the authors don't note is that much of the divide is voluntary--money not spent on computers or access is poured into big screen TVs, cars, you name it.  No one can believably claim they have no means to access a computer for 40 minutes a week, or that the means to do so is arcane and difficult. 

If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2009, 07:35:28 PM »
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2009, 07:40:08 PM »
I'm not sure why this is brought up.

Simple, it's to make you feel guilty.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2009, 07:57:08 PM »
And they wear scarves everywhere.  Mustn't forget the scarves.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2009, 08:11:54 PM »
I'm still surprised by how many Americans under the age of 60 don't have a computer.  I'm shocked by how many don't have an email address they can check at the library, church, or community center

I'm not. 

My parents finally bought a computer 2 years ago, and really don't use it much to this day.  It's not as much a necessity for them as much as it is a trinket, widget, or novelty.  They're fairly affluent, well-traveled, but haven't bought into the concept that one needs a home computer to manage their day-to-day lives.  I envy them at times.
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2009, 08:13:32 PM »

Computers are racist.  Now I've heard it all.  :lol:

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2009, 10:22:38 PM »
Computers are racist.  Now I've heard it all.  :lol:

Reminds me of when the California government decided that the master and slave designation for primary and secondary drives was racist.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2009, 11:09:26 PM »
Reminds me of when the California government decided that the master and slave designation for primary and secondary drives was racist.

Please tell me that was an April Fools' joke or something.  Hell, I'm fervently hoping the quote by the gentleman from Oakland is from the Onion or whatnot.

I'm deeply aware of how stupid people are at times, but both cases reveal something different than stupidity.  They reveal a deep disconnect from simple logic and reality.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2009, 11:25:43 PM »
Please tell me that was an April Fools' joke or something.

Nope.  I remember that.  Clicky the provided link.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2009, 11:52:36 PM »

Please tell me that was an April Fools' joke or something. 

Unfortunately, it wasn't.

That one stuck out in my mind because that happened to be the same year I learned how to build computers and took an A+ course. I had just learned all of the lingo, so to speak, and I was flabbergasted when I heard California's "stance."
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

FTA84

• friend
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2009, 09:46:11 AM »
Worse yet, when I was an undergrad, I had a professor that refused to call designate things "Master and Slave", which is very common in computer engineering even aside from drives.

I don't blame him though, he was a great guy, he was lazy and knew that people (liberals) would yell and scream over such a designation.  Ignorance of history I suppose, almost every race has been a slave at one time or another.