Author Topic: The Stupidest Movie I Ever Saw  (Read 9480 times)

Chrissy

• MySpace page
Re: The Stupidest Movie I Ever Saw
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2009, 06:23:48 AM »
Yes, I did go with my daughter and I knew the true target was not adults, BUT I've seen many movies not targeted for adults, yet they put adult humor in and make it funny and enjoyable for adults as well since they know we have to sit through it too.  Movies like Shrek (NATURALLY  =D  ) are awesome for all ages but there are many others as well such as Finding Nemo, Shark Tales, etc.

I also did my research and checked reviews from other movie goers before deciding which movie to see.  So many people said it was great for kids AND adults, that the adult humor in it was good, the characters were likeable - I found none of this.  Characters seemed shallow and I only laughed once when the monkey was eating his poop.  Maybe it's just me.....

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2009, 08:20:25 AM »
A clip from Spaceship.  This was the point at which we stopped the film and took it back to the video store.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNbhGEPHm_Y&feature=related

I dare you to watch the entire thing.....
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2009, 08:26:46 AM »
. . . I've seen many movies not targeted for adults, yet they put adult humor in and make it funny and enjoyable for adults as well . . .
This reminds me of a quote from Robert Heinlein; someone asked him how he went about writing what was at the time referred to as "juvenile" science fiction books. His reply was something along the lines of "Write the best novel you can, and then take out the sex."

(A lot - and I do mean a lot - of his later work was decidedly non-juvenile science fiction.)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

robear

• friend
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2009, 09:43:24 AM »
I haven't seen it for years (on purpose!) but I think Surf II was the worst movie I've ever seen.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2009, 11:19:20 AM »
The book was worse.
Oh come on.  The book was a little crazy in parts, but I thought was decent.  At least it explained why he ended up posing as a "postman" instead of making him look like a lying con man. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

griz

• friend
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2009, 11:20:38 AM »

YOU WIN...I just couldn't do it.   Please don't do that to me again!!!
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2009, 11:45:16 AM »
This reminds me of a quote from Robert Heinlein; someone asked him how he went about writing what was at the time referred to as "juvenile" science fiction books. His reply was something along the lines of "Write the best novel you can, and then take out the sex."

(A lot - and I do mean a lot - of his later work was decidedly non-juvenile science fiction.)

Yeah, you can pretty much peg Henlein's juvenile works as any story that doesn't have incest or polyarmory in it.  =D

As he got further and further into his future history, Heinlien was always dropping hints that Earth was a place of absolute squalor. I always thought revisiting Earth would have made for a good story.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2009, 11:57:33 AM by AJ Dual »
I promise not to duck.

StopTheGrays

• friend
  • bah...
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2009, 12:31:04 PM »
MegaForce.

It has bad acting, bad plot, bad directing and....Barry Bostwick (Spin City) in a *shudder* body hugging spandex costume.
Does any image illustrate so neatly the wrongheadedness of the Obama administration than Americans scrambling in terror from Air Force One?
Just great…Chicago politics has spread to all 57 states.
They told me if I voted for John McCain, my country would look like it is run by people with a disturbing affinity towards fascism. And they were right!

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2009, 01:11:59 PM »
The book was worse.

Agreed.

I was able to sit through the movie.  I tossed the book in disgust down soon after he found the postman get-up.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2009, 05:39:37 PM »

I watched the whole clip, if that's what you mean.  Pretty good rug-cuttin' for a jelly monster. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

freedom lover

• resident high school student
  • "Who is the Coon?"
« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2009, 05:43:38 PM »
A clip from Spaceship.  This was the point at which we stopped the film and took it back to the video store.....

If you mean the clip I listened to the whole thing and watches maybe 10 seconds. I laughed twice. If I had been in a different mood I would have laughed more. If that seen had been done differently it would have been funny as hell. I like absurd and morbid humor alot.

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2009, 05:47:55 PM »
>I dare you to watch the entire thing.....<

I made it 9 seconds: do I get some kind of prize?

>or polyarmory in it<

Term is "polyamory": literally, "many loves". "Polyarmory is something that most people here would absolutely LOVE.

Seriously... who here wouldn't want several armories at their disposal?
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2009, 05:50:18 PM »
>I dare you to watch the entire thing.....<

I made it 9 seconds: do I get some kind of prize?

>or polyarmory in it<

Term is "polyamory": literally, "many loves". "Polyarmory is something that most people here would absolutely LOVE.

Seriously... who here wouldn't want several armories at their disposal?

Can I have both? Pwease??
Look, tiny text!

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2009, 05:52:48 PM »

You didn't mention Leslie Nielsen!!!

It looks absolutely awful...

I have to find this movie.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2009, 08:43:10 PM »
Agreed.

I was able to sit through the movie.  I tossed the book in disgust down soon after he found the postman get-up.

Don't forget the whole bit where the destruction of civilization was caused by gun nut survivalists that had to be exterminated to the man - and our intrepid hero is a veteran of that mighty struggle.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2009, 08:46:57 PM »

21 seconds.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2009, 09:21:37 PM »
The Postman is one of my favorite movies, haven't read the book yet. And I love movies with Kevin Costner in it.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2009, 09:59:16 PM »

What does it say about me that I watched all 3:49?....and didn't think it was all that bad?....

Something about '70's-era comedy entertainment....maybe the fact that every sitcom and game show seemed to be conceived in and enacted by people under the influence of alcohol and other substances....good times.....  :cool:
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #43 on: September 25, 2009, 11:09:42 AM »
Wife made me go see Yentle..............I left about a third of the way through the movie and went to the bar next door.  I also slept on the couch for a week too.......chris3

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #44 on: September 25, 2009, 01:58:38 PM »
Don't forget the whole bit where the destruction of civilization was caused by gun nut survivalists that had to be exterminated to the man - and our intrepid hero is a veteran of that mighty struggle.
More like feudalistic anarchists who wanted to lord it over everyone.  Everyone has their own viewpoint though.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #45 on: September 25, 2009, 02:14:32 PM »
Wife made me go see Yentle..............I left about a third of the way through the movie and went to the bar next door.  I also slept on the couch for a week too.......chris3

Papa... can you hear me?

YES! All the way over here at the F%&#!ng bar!
I promise not to duck.

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #46 on: September 25, 2009, 02:32:23 PM »
Yeah, you can pretty much peg Henlein's juvenile works as any story that doesn't have incest or polyarmory in it.  =D

As he got further and further into his future history, Heinlien was always dropping hints that Earth was a place of absolute squalor. I always thought revisiting Earth would have made for a good story.
Polyarmory? Is that having more than one gun? :angel: :laugh:
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #47 on: September 25, 2009, 03:21:13 PM »
MegaForce.

It has bad acting, bad plot, bad directing and....Barry Bostwick (Spin City) in a *shudder* body hugging spandex costume.
I forgot about that one.  That was bad.  

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #48 on: September 26, 2009, 12:22:22 AM »
Really? I didn't see it that way. I kinda liked the line about "harboring a harmless passion for rifles".
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #49 on: September 26, 2009, 12:55:33 PM »
The novel is rife with this sort of stuff:

Survivalists. Gordon felt a wave of revulsion.

Once upon a time, before the War, the word had had several meanings, ranging from common sense, community-conscious preparedness all the way to antisocial paranoid gun nuts. By one way of looking at things, perhaps Gordon himself could be called a “survivalist.” But it was the latter connotation that had stuck, after the ruin the worst sort had caused.

But there weren’t supposed to be any survivalists anymore in the valley of the Willamette! In Cottage Grove, Gordon had been told that the last big bunch had been driven south of Roseburg years ago, into the wilderness of the Rogue River country!

It goes on in this vein.

The Wiki describes it further:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Postman
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner