Author Topic: I am a home-owner now  (Read 1470 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
I am a home-owner now
« on: October 05, 2009, 11:54:41 AM »
Moved into my house over the last week.  Did I miss anything good?

I even started my first list o' stuff to get done around the place.  Heck, I even ACCOMPLISHED a thing or three on that list!  =D

I was really worried about my dog.  He flipped out last time I moved, and chewed the heck out of the door the first day I left him home alone in the house.  This time, he was just fine.

I gotta get some grass, though:  My back yard is nicely landscaped, but the grass is all gone.  Looks like the developer/owner just let it all die by not watering it, and there's not even any dead grass:  Just dirt.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Marnoot

• friend
Re: I am a home-owner now
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2009, 12:25:09 PM »
I think I'd have preferred having nothing left but dirt at my current house. When we bought it, it was winter and the ground was covered with a couple feet of snow, so all we had to go off of was the listing pictures of what the landscaping looked like. The grass in the picture was immaculate, thick, and green. Found out (too late) that the seller used the listing picture from when he bought the house. The grass was 95% dead the next spring. The house had housed 3-4 families of immigrant renters, who used the yard as a giant ashtray and beer bottle-cap repository and never turned on the sprinkler system..

It would have been easier to start with dirt and start new grass. I'm just finishing year 2 of trying to rehabilitate the existing sod. The front yard is coming along alright, but I'm tempted to Round-up a large portion of the backyard, till it up, and start from scratch. The sprinkler system also doesn't appear to have been designed, just installed. Sprinkler placement and spacing is horrible.

All just more stuff I'll pay closer attention to when I buy our next house, whenever that happens.

So yeah... I think you'll be happier starting with dirt than mostly dead sod. :P
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 12:30:33 PM by Marnoot »

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2009, 02:07:08 PM »
Congratulations!!!!

And it looks like SWMBO and I might be joining your ranks in a couple of weeks.  We should be closing in 16 days.....

Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2009, 04:23:24 PM »
How big is your back yard?

I eventually despaired of growing grass in my back yard and mulched everything that wasn't concrete.

I used playground chips to ~4.5" depth.  Actual regulation for playground chips in a playground is 6" deep.  It took me 50cuyds to make that happen in my yard. 

You will get much less dust & mud in your house after dropping the mulch.  You will get some mulch dust until the first good rain.

Before Mulch:

During Mulch:

http://www.filefactory.com/file/a0e4054/n/mulch_blow_video_01_avi
http://www.filefactory.com/file/a0e4043/n/mulch_blow_video_02_avi

After Mulch:

Mulch Calcs:

I went with 50cuyd from Big Bird, this time 'round.

I can send you the actual spreadsheet, if you so desire, to ease your calcs.

I spent good time preparing by digging out serious edges and sinking downspouts into french drains.  I also leveled out the dirt.  I did not bother to Roundup the remaining weeds/grass, as they were so insubstantial & got smothered.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2009, 04:35:02 PM »
Oh, it is about a 3 year refresh rate.

First mulch-toss was in 2006.  Latest was in 2009.  I had 50cuyd done both times.  Mud-free, dust-free, grass-free, and nearly maintenance-free backyard costs me ~$600/year.  Not tracking in 95% of the dust from the backyard when two kids & two dogs go in & out?  Worth.  Every.  Cent.

Oh, I don't have to water it, either.

Over the 3 years, I would move the mulch around from where it accumulated (fence lines, corners, etc.) and spread it back where it was thin.  After 3 years, it was getting too thin.  The PG chips are clean hardwood and will rot.  The 50cuyd refresh over top of the original 50cuyd is a world-beater.  I am now at ~6" depth and it just plain rocks.

If I could, I would opt for PG-chip-sized cypress or cedar mulch, as neither rot much and the cedar is insect repellent.

If you are in an area dryer than DFW, your refresh rate ought be lesser, meaning you ought to go longer before refreshes.  Flip-side for wetter areas.

Compare to having sod installed & water. 
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2009, 05:01:18 PM »
Interesting.

I may do that with the "back half" of the yard, but the part on the porch side of the house is crying out for grass.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2009, 05:49:38 PM »
Congratulations! You're going to become a regular at your local hardware store.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2009, 08:47:37 PM »
Wood chips burn  :O
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2009, 09:35:00 PM »

So does grass, and grass lights a lot easier.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2009, 09:42:18 PM »
The grass probably isn't dead.  Aerate, winter fertilizer, seed.  You might be able to get it to start greening if its not too cold where you are.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2009, 09:49:12 PM »

If you're in wildfire country, that might be a consideration.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

Wildalaska

• friend
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2009, 11:48:47 AM »
I even started my first list o' stuff to get done around the place.  Heck, I even ACCOMPLISHED a thing or three on that list!  grin

Is my bedroom done yet? I want the Totoro wallpaper please. Make sure the fridge is stocked with mineral water too please. I like my steaks rare, please make sure the Hello Kitty sheets are ironed, and get back to me on your progress in getting my companion off of Craigs List.

WildimonmywayforahomeinspectionandthetoiletbetterbecleanAlaska TM
I'm just a condescending, supercilious,  pompous ass .But then again, my opinion is as irrelevant as yours, and keep in mind kids, it's only the internet! If I bug ya that much, ignore me. Anyway, need something? Call me at 800/992-4570.
?If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers?

http://www.hyperarts.com/pynchon/gravity/index.html

http://www.therealwildalaska.com/blog/