Author Topic: DigitalSLR Camera with HD (1080p) Video Capability  (Read 5105 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
DigitalSLR Camera with HD (1080p) Video Capability
« on: October 05, 2009, 09:24:21 PM »
Howdy:

My wife wants to move on up from point & shoot.  I was wondering if any of y'all had experience with the newer DLSRs with HD capability?

She likes Canon, but I we are open to other manufacturers.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: DigitalSLR Camera with HD (1080p) Video Capability
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2009, 10:04:16 PM »
I think the lowest priced Canon with full 1080p @ 30fps is the 5d Mk II. The new reb will do 1080p, but only at 20 fps.

Brad
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 10:59:34 AM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2009, 10:13:20 PM »
IMHO, an SLR makes a lousy video camera

this is a functional video camera:
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Racehorse

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2009, 08:33:33 AM »
From what I've read, the video quality from the DSLRs is good, but they don't adjust to changes in lighting as well as a video camera. Apparently, focusing can be an issue as well. On the other hand, you get a wider variety of lenses and accessories.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 10:40:59 AM by Racehorse »

Oleg Volk

• Administrator
    • Volkstudio Blog
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2009, 02:04:18 AM »
I have a 5Dmk2. The quality of video is great. The quality of audio is poor. External audio recorder or microphone must be used. The whole setup is awkward and must be used from a tripod with static or cooperative actors. It is useless for action of any kind.

If video is your game, get a real video camera.

roo_ster

• friend
DSLR & Accessories for DSLR Noob?
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2009, 12:05:52 PM »
Hmm, I hear y'all and (miraculously) I think I'll heed the advice of folks more experienced than I.

Yeah, crazy idea, that.

So, I will change my quest & question to "Which DSLR & Accessories for a DSLR noob?"
My wife being the user and I merely providing the cash.

First off, any standards I ought to know about?  like, "Avoid X-brand, as they use non-standard lenses/attachments/etc."

My first instinct is to go with the Canon entry-level EOS Rebel XS 18-55IS:
http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=139&modelid=17316#ModelTechSpecsAct

I would like to keep it below $1000. 

Any input by those with more experience would be appreciated.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2009, 02:02:12 PM »
I like the canons for dSLRs,
but I am biased after many years of carrying field canons

Nikons are equally good and easily managed

anything else (olympus, minolta, sony or whatever) is not necessarily bad,
but its not what the pros or semi pros muddle with.

A rebel kit is fine & the 18-55 is OK for starters
the 55-250 does the far end functionally well for $255
but
price "serious" 70-200 2.8 L canon glass and hang on to the VISA card
 :O

heres the benchmark for pricing:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/598184-REG/Canon__EOS_Rebel_XSi_a_k_a_.html
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/651996-REG/Canon__EOS_REBEL_XS_w_18_55.html
 anything less is prolly a scam where the included battery & lens cap are up charges
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2009, 10:35:10 AM »
Anoter vote for the Canon D-Reb.

If your budget is a grand, give serious consideration to the T1i kit. An extra c-note spent on the camera body will get you more resolution (15Mp vs 12), the DIGIC 4 processor, video capability (see Oleg's post above), faster startup time, revised autofocus system with a cross-type center sensor, continuous shooting up to the capacity of the memory card, a larger display, and far superior noise control (I've seen test shots at 6400 and 12800 ISO that beat the pants off my original D-Reb at 400!).

If you already have Canon-branded EF-series SLR lenses, they should work with the Reb. Third-party lenses built prior to the digital revolution may require a firmware upgrade to work properly. The 18-55 kit lens will be plenty for getting used to the camera and exploring the world of digital. You can delve into better glass as your skills and wallet allow. Harold is right, an L-series lens has a stunning price, but also the stunning performance to match.

My Google Fu reveals the T1i prices as:

Walmart
$750 Body only
$830 Kit with 18-55 lens
$850 Kit with lens, bag, and extra SDHC card

B&H
$707 Body only (with mail in rebate)
$795 Kit with 18-55 lens (plus shipping)

Sam's Club
$819 Kit with 18-55 lens

There's always Craigslist. Entry-level DSLR's tend to be a pretty hot commodity - people stepping up to a pro unit, some genius who thought they were going to be a hotshot photographer, or maybe just someone who needs to eat more than they need the camera.

Brad
« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 11:39:15 AM by Brad Johnson »
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2009, 12:01:03 PM »
Brad:

OK, say I pick up the EOS Rebel T1i EF-S body only.

Is there a better lens to start out with than the one that comes with the kit?  Something that does what the 18-55 lens does, but either better quality or a larger performance envelope (18-55 inclusive)?

Maybe something like this:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/351548-GREY/Canon_9517A002BA_EF_S_17_85mm_f_4_5_6_IS.html#specifications

or this:
http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=149&modelid=19085#ModelTechSpecsAct

They are a bit heavier than the kit lens (7oz vs 16oz), but it looks like their performance envelopes are wider and include that of the kit 18-55 lens.

I am inquiring based on some poor reviews the stock lens got from buyers, mostly referring to poor quality control.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2009, 12:06:08 PM »
If you have the budget, I'd go with a Canon 60D or whatever the current version is.

Damn that was sweet. And was it ever fast..

Mrs. Dual and I couldn't afford it, and wound up with a Nikon D60 with a pair of wide and telophoto VR kit lenses. It's nice enough, but the Canon was way faster, and several times more autofocus sensor points in the viewfinder (12 I think?) whereas the Nikon has three.

(Nikon D60 and Canon 60D do not inhabit the same place in the model/price/feature heirarchy IIRC, the Nikon D90 is more comparable to the Canon 60D...)

The internal image processing is a bit "softer" somehow in the Canon too. The Nikon is "crisper". Things are a bit more harsh looking in the Nikon somehow, but I can't put my finger on it exactly, while the Canon images look "warmer" somehow. Not that any or all of that can't be changed on a whim with photoshop.

Edit... saw you've already got a Rebel.

IMO with any of the quality DSLR's, if you aren't a camera whiz already, learning how to use your camera to the fullest extent of it's capabilites will overcome any differences in the models IMO, save for really specific things like frame time for rapid-fire sports shots etc.
I promise not to duck.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2009, 12:48:52 PM »
kit lenses are good for starters
they are not perfect, but they are functional

you also don't cringe as much, when you find a dog nose smear on them

good lenses require good filters

there is no, "the only lens you need"
everyone is a compromise

check out www.KEH.com

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2009, 02:25:39 PM »
jfr, the lens you linked to is an excellent example of a step-up into a good walkround lens. It's a much better all-around lens and will give you a little more zoom than the kit. The 20-80 zoom is a staple for decent everyday lenses. The weight difference is because the lens is not only more robust, but uses glass elements rather than poly. Also, plan on getting a good UV/Haze filter and a polarizer. I leave the haze filter on my lenses as cheap protection for the front element.

I'd still be be tempted to stick with the kit lens until you get a feel for the camera, then purchase glass as you feel the need (or want, as is often the case =D ).

Also, and like Harold said, there's no such thing as a one-size-for-everything lens. The mega-zoom 30-300 (or so) lenses tend to have funky abherrations at both ends of the zoom range, plus all kinds of flare and color resolution issues because of the number of glass surfaces required to make a lens zoom that far. They also tend to be fairly slow at the long end of the zoom range.

In terms of price... For the everyday photo hobbyist Canon makes some nice middle-of-the-road lenses spanning the gap between kit lens and the L-series performance. Again, the one you linked to is an excellent example. Tamron, Sigma, and Tokina also make decent glass. Just understand that you aren't going to see an appreciable increase in color and clarity over the kit lens until you get into the several-hundred-dollar range.

The only thing I would strongly suggest is spending the money for a good flash. I have a 580EX and can't recommend it enough. It will easily reach 150+ feet with an f/2.8 lens, has an extremely wide FOV for up-close shots, works nicely with the ETTL metering in the camera, and the overall consistancy of illumination far exceeds the on-body flash. I rarely take a shot without it. You can find 580EX's new or almost new for a bargain because they have been superceded by the 580EX II.

Brad
« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 02:43:32 PM by Brad Johnson »
-HankB

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2009, 02:54:49 PM »
this is a good canon lens site:
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/

Tim L

• friend
    • TDLITWILLER
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2009, 08:34:48 PM »
want some more reading?  check out  www.dpreview.com lots of stuff in the forums there.   there is also a camera database and price tracker.

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2009, 09:15:56 PM »
Thanks a lot, all of y'all, for your advice.  I have a little to think about and I bet we'll make a better decision with the aid your help.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2009, 10:41:18 PM »
Don't worry, whatever you do it will never be enough! There's always that new gadget, goody, or updated version of something. =D

Brad
« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 10:49:38 PM by Brad Johnson »
-HankB

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2009, 08:40:09 AM »
Don't worry, whatever you do it will never be enough! There's always that new gadget, goody, or updated version of something. =D

Brad

You write as if this is a bug.  I consider it a feature, as I have "inherited" all my wife's castoff point-and-shoot digital cameras and been perfectly happy with them.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2010, 04:57:34 PM »
We finally pulled the trigger & bought a Canon EOS Rebel T1i kit from Costco.

Comes with a bunch of stuff to include two lenses.  $200-$300 off retail, if one assumes retail cost of the second lens.

Pretty much this:
http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=139&modelid=18385
and this:
http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=150&modelid=15700

After looking at the size of 15MP images, we're going to need another external HD.  If we need to 'shop them, we'll need a beefier desktop.

Plus, I inherit her ruggedized/waterproof Olympus 10MP point & shoot.

Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2010, 05:49:51 PM »
IIRC, one of the recent seasons of House was shot with Canon DSLRs...

How to cheat for steady: Put a monopod on the bottom, and that will serve as a weight to keep the thing "hanging" plumb.
Blog under construction

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2010, 06:28:20 PM »
IIRC, one of the recent seasons of House was shot with Canon DSLRs...

Which episodes? I watch House nearly every week, it would be interesting if an episode was shot with a DSLR.  I haven't noticed anything, so it must have worked well.

Chris

sanglant

• friend
worthless plug
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2010, 07:05:33 PM »
got any old pentax glass? [popcorn]

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2010, 07:34:49 PM »
got any old pentax glass? [popcorn]

Super Takumar 300mm.  So what of it?  You'z gots a problem wid dat?  =D

Brad
-HankB

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2010, 08:26:31 PM »
Super Takumar 300mm.  So what of it?  You'z gots a problem wid dat?  =D

Brad
;)

a k10d is enough camera for me though. [popcorn]

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2010, 09:40:25 PM »
IMHO, if you're not using it for a living (i.e., photojournalism, etc...), you need your 18-55, your 55-200, maybe an ultrawide zoom/fisheye for fun stuff...

And you need at least two flashes, preferably that can communicate with your camera's brain, but if they can't, go back to guide numbers...
Blog under construction