Author Topic: Learning all kinds of new computer stuff  (Read 2832 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Learning all kinds of new computer stuff
« on: October 15, 2009, 05:56:53 PM »
Talk about a crash course in new technology...!

Curiousity got the best of me and I pulled the cover off the new machine.  Wow, have things changed!  Stuff like SATA, HDMI, and PCIe 1, 2, 4, and 8x.  And the heat sink on the processor is HUGE. 

The box has a 350w Liteon-branded power supply.  I expected it to be a big 'ol thing but it's tee-tiny compared to the hulking 200w unit in my old box.

It also has Samsung branded memory, two 1GB sticks of PC2-6400.  I expected some kind of no-name or Dell-branded stuff.

It also has a multi-media card reader installed that wasn't in the original description, plus built-in 1394 and HDMI ports.

Not bad. Not bad at all. =D

Office is here and the RAM should arrive tomorrow.  Hopefully Dell will get the Win7 upgrades out on, or very near, the 10/22 official release date. (I also found out that the Win7 media from Dell will be a complete-wipe-and-reinstall).  I'm ready to get this hoss up and running.

Brad

It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Re: Learning all kinds of new computer stuff
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2009, 09:49:16 PM »
I just noticed something:
1) Brad and fistful never post at the same time.
2) Both of them are all geeky busy learning new stuff about computers.
3) They both...uh, well, I don't want to mention that one.

Could Brad and fistful be the same person...?
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2009, 09:51:19 PM »
You really know how to insult a fella... =D

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2009, 11:12:18 PM »
I just noticed something:
1) Brad and fistful never post at the same time.
2) Both of them are all geeky busy learning new stuff about computers.
3) They both...uh, well, I don't want to mention that one.

Could Brad and fistful be the same person...?

stay safe.

skidmark
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2009, 11:18:42 PM »
Hey Brad, the new computers also have something called a "hard drive" now.  You should check it out.  And did you know the floppy drives are 3.5" now?   :O
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2009, 11:46:38 PM »
Hey Brad, the new computers also have something called a "hard drive" now.  You should check it out.  And did you know the floppy drives are 3.5" now?   :O

Can you still get a floppy drive?  Have not seen one in years - ever since those CD thingummies apparently caught on.

stay safe.

skidmark
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2009, 11:51:15 PM »
I'm trying to ease him in gently, to this brave new world of flash drives and such.  The poor guy probably thinks "Iphone" is a sentence.   :lol:

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2009, 11:53:53 PM »
Just hold off on telling him about the difference between SATA and PATA.  Too much at a young age, and all that.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2009, 12:09:46 AM »
Just wait. We can get him running his Win ME in Virtualbox and then take him to doing a duel or even a quad boot system. And then running several VM's inside of that.

More power Scotty a new version of Ubuntu comes out in a few days. =)

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2009, 12:25:30 AM »
How are we going to explain to him that the internet is not a series of tubes?  Is he really ready to see a wireless LAN yet? 

crt360

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2009, 01:34:18 AM »
For entertainment purposes only.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2009, 10:05:47 AM »

You mean I have to replace all my 8" floppies?  What about my 5 MB cabinet hard drive?

Tubes? Virtual? CD? Iphone? Interwebz?  My head hurts now.  Dang new fangled business.  Why can't they leave a fella alone.  It's a communist plot, I tell ya!

Brad
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 10:09:00 AM by Brad Johnson »
-HankB

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2009, 11:07:23 AM »
(I also found out that the Win7 media from Dell will be a complete-wipe-and-reinstall).

That's not Dell, that's everybody.  Such is my understanding.  Probably a good idea anyway.

Can you still get a floppy drive?

If you have to. 
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2009, 11:20:59 AM »
If you have to.

Can you use some other sort of media than floppy to add a driver for your root disk system on a Windows XP/Vista/7 installation?

Big problem for lots of servers when Server 2003 came out, but didn't have an extensive SCSI/RAID driver library in it.  And servers started stream-lining by eliminating such unnecessary hardware as floppy drives.

I had to go out and get a USB floppy drive for one of my servers at my last job.  I don't remember the server model, but Dude - it was a Dell.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2009, 12:08:42 PM »
Can you use some other sort of media than floppy to add a driver for your root disk system on a Windows XP/Vista/7 installation?

Big problem for lots of servers when Server 2003 came out, but didn't have an extensive SCSI/RAID driver library in it.  And servers started stream-lining by eliminating such unnecessary hardware as floppy drives.

I had to go out and get a USB floppy drive for one of my servers at my last job.  I don't remember the server model, but Dude - it was a Dell.

You can in Vista & 7, but I've always had to use a USB floppy for such XP installations.

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2009, 04:32:59 PM »
Talk about a crash course in new technology...!

Curiousity got the best of me and I pulled the cover off the new machine.  Wow, have things changed!  Stuff like SATA, HDMI, and PCIe 1, 2, 4, and 8x.  And the heat sink on the processor is HUGE. 

The box has a 350w Liteon-branded power supply.  I expected it to be a big 'ol thing but it's tee-tiny compared to the hulking 200w unit in my old box.

It also has Samsung branded memory, two 1GB sticks of PC2-6400.  I expected some kind of no-name or Dell-branded stuff.

It also has a multi-media card reader installed that wasn't in the original description, plus built-in 1394 and HDMI ports.

Not bad. Not bad at all. =D

Office is here and the RAM should arrive tomorrow.  Hopefully Dell will get the Win7 upgrades out on, or very near, the 10/22 official release date. (I also found out that the Win7 media from Dell will be a complete-wipe-and-reinstall).  I'm ready to get this hoss up and running.

Brad

PCIe?  350w?  This is a NEW computer?  I hope you didn't pay more than a few dollars for it.
=p
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2009, 06:37:37 PM »
How are we going to explain to him that the internet is not a series of tubes?

But you can create "pipes" on your PC and even give them names  :laugh:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2009, 07:13:26 PM »
My head hurts now. I need a beer.  :laugh:

Brad
-HankB

KPT

« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2009, 12:32:53 AM »
PCIe 1, 2, 4, and 8x.  And the heat sink on the processor is HUGE.

No 16x on a new computer?  :|

I hate my heatsink. If I need to take the CPU or ram out of my computer the mobo has to come out of the case.

duel or even a quad boot system.

You can get your operating systems to duel??

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2009, 01:12:17 AM »
No 16x on a new computer?  :|

Has one.  That's where the vid card currently resides.

Brad
-HankB

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2009, 07:39:42 AM »
A light weight power supply is not necessarily A Good Thang.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2009, 10:20:33 AM »
teh new Brad Johnson:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTLqng2We0E

"You're as useless as jpegs to Helen Keller"   :laugh: :laugh:
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2009, 11:03:21 AM »
If you'd like to learn more computer stuff, why not buy a good, used server to play around with?  Though I'd have no idea where you could buy one.  No idea at all. 

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2009, 12:43:05 PM »
Tease.  HP ProLiant Tease.  =|
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

tyme

• expat
  • friend
  • Did you know that dolphins are just gay sharks?
    • TFL Library
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2009, 11:42:51 AM »
If you'd like to learn more computer stuff, why not buy a good, used server to play around with?  Though I'd have no idea where you could buy one.  No idea at all.  

A good, [used] server. ...

That Lite-on pwr supply is garbage.  Compare a 350w lite-on to a 600-750w retail power supply.  Powering the same components totaling say 300w, the lite-on will draw more power, dissipate more heat, and won't last as long (on average).

That said, as far as I can tell, the typical power consumption of desktops is way below the capacity of 700-1000w power supplies.  I have two quad-core desktops running a total of 8 sata drives, two LCDs.  One has a Radeon 4870, the other has a craptastic radeon 2600.  My UPS says all of this (both computers + both LCDs) is drawing around 350-390W in normal use.  Cranking up a game on the 4870, I've never seen it go above 450W.

I'd love to know if someone has first-hand knowledge of an actual desktop that requires an 800+ watt power supply.  Except maybe some insane thing that has 4 graphics cards... I'm thinking two cards or less because even most gamers do not get more than two high-end graphics cards for one system.
Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

"Four people are dead.  There isn't time to talk to the police."  --Sherlock (BBC)