Author Topic: Baby hit by train and survives.  (Read 909 times)

Physics

• ∇xE=-1/c·∂B/∂t, ∇·E=4πρ, ∇·B=0, ∇xB=1/c·∂E/∂t, F=q(E+v/cxB)
  • friend
Baby hit by train and survives.
« on: October 16, 2009, 03:00:04 PM »
http://edition.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/asiapcf/10/16/australia.baby.train.escape/index.html

A six-month-old baby had a miraculous escape after his stroller rolled off a railway station platform and into the path of an incoming train.

The incident, which happened Thursday at Ashburton railway station in Melbourne, Australia, was captured by CCTV.

The footage shows the baby's mother momentarily letting go of the stroller, which then rolls over the edge of the platform. Second later, a train pulls in to the station.

The stroller and baby were dragged 30 meters (33 yards) further up the track before the train came to a halt.

John Rees, a spokesman for train operator Connex, told Australia's Channel 7 television station: "It's a miracle this baby wasn't killed. The baby managed to escape with just a cut to the forehead, I'm told. It's a complete miracle."

The baby boy was quickly reunited with his distraught mother. He was taken to Melbourne's Royal Children's Hospital but was later discharged.

Channel 7 said the incident came just a day after the launch of a public awareness campaign warning of the dangers of strollers on platforms.

Victoria state police sergeant Michael Ferwerda told Channel 7: "Parents especially need to be vigilant especially with toddlers."

Be forewarned, while not graphic, that video is very disturbing.  I find it interesting that they lay absolutely no blame on the mother.  While obviously an accident I think this was completely avoidable.  The Fates smiled upon that kid. :O
In the world of science, there is physics.  Everything else is stamp collecting.  -Ernest Rutherford

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Re: Baby hit by train and survives.
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2009, 04:59:05 PM »
Sorry, but mom gets severe blame from me.  The stroller started to roll away several times, and she still did nothing to either keep hold of it or redirect it away from the platform edge.

The railway authority shares some of the blame because the platform slopes down towards the tracks instead of away from them.  Rainwater and litter can be better controlled and cleaned up by flowing away from the tracks than towards them, and a secondary effect is that luggage, toys with small children chasing after them, and baby strollers do not gravitate towards the tracks.

Note to parents: Find out what brand that stroller was and get one for your youngsters.  It apparently held together enough to protect the baby while being dragged underneath the train for 30 yards.

stay safe.

skidmark
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2009, 05:11:26 PM »
For some reason, the video doesn't work for me.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2009, 05:26:26 PM »
Amazingly lucky.

It's a good thing Kevin Costner wasn't there, or this would have dragged on for fifteen minutes. ;)