Author Topic: Yogi Likes Mini-Vans  (Read 5097 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Yogi Likes Mini-Vans
« on: October 25, 2009, 02:14:38 PM »
Thought it was kinda humorous:

--------------------
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2009/10/24/MN081A863P.DTL

Hungry Yosemite bears zero in on minivans

Peter Fimrite, Chronicle Staff Writer

Saturday, October 24, 2009
A bear climbs out of a minivan in the park. A black bear and her young cubs pass through a meadow nea... A Yosemite National Park bear exits a vehicle in Yosemite...

The rebellious bears of Yosemite Valley have developed a taste for that old standard of the suburban family life, the minivan.

The kid-friendly vehicles are quickly becoming a bear necessity along with handouts and garbage slop, according to a study published in the October issue of the Journal of Mammalogy.

Specifically, the burly bruins select minivans over all other types of vehicles, no matter how sporty, colorful or expensive, and rip them open looking for grub, said the study "Selective Foraging for Anthropogenic Resources by Black Bears: Minivans in Yosemite National Park."

"They target minivans," said Stewart Breck, a research biologist with the National Wildlife Research Center, who co-authored the study. "They will pop open windows, peel open a door, rip out back seats. They can do a lot of damage."
Treasure troves

It is all related to what Breck called "fuel efficiency." He means that minivans often contain goodies like smeared peanut butter, moldy cheese or, occasionally, ice chests full of groceries and beer that bears can use to fuel their opportunistic lifestyles.

"I think there are more food smells in minivans," Breck said. "Bears have very good noses. They are like bloodhounds, so they can smell food even when all the doors and windows are locked tight."

Besides chow, nobody knows for sure what the hairy oafs have in mind when they bear down on a parked vehicle, but structural considerations may also come into play, according to the study. Specifically, the rear side windows of minivans appear to be a snap for bears to pop open.

The study analyzed 908 vehicles in Yosemite National Park that black bears opened like soup cans between 2001 and 2007. Minivans were the first or second preference every year, accounting for 26 percent of all the break-ins. That's despite the fact that they make up only 7 percent of the vehicles parked in Yosemite Valley.
Out of proportion

When researchers compared the number of vehicles available to the number torn open by bears, four times more minivans were broken into than would be expected if they were randomly selected.

About 40 percent of all of the sedans, trucks, sports cars, station wagons, minivans, regular vans, coupes and small cars that were broken into had food in them, according to the study. Of the nine different vehicle types in the study, the bears selected sport utility vehicles second, trashing them 22.5 percent of the time. SUVs make up 22 percent of the cars parked in the valley.
People have food

American black bears, known scientifically as Ursus americanus, are not normally aggressive toward humans, but they sure do like people food, especially in the late summer and fall.

The ungainly brutes have been known to just waltz into campsites with impunity and scarf everything in sight. They sometimes lumber into homes, rip out cupboards and empty refrigerators. Some bruins take up residence under empty homes and just feast until all the food is gone. The furry gluttons eventually give birth to cubs that also learn the joys of wallowing in the syrupy wreckage of a human food cache.

"They are very hungry animals, especially this time of year," Breck said. "They are eating 20 hours a day getting ready for winter hibernation."

Breck said the break-ins are probably all being done by a few individual bears that have learned that minivans usually yield food - and they're easy to crack open. Any bruin that habitually forages around humans, he said, is in danger of being captured and killed.
It's the kids

All of which must be somewhat disconcerting to soccer moms and other minivan aficionados and their sticky-fingered children, who Breck believes are primarily responsible for leaving the odors that are attracting the messy marauders. But he said there is an easy solution.

"The key message we are getting out is that if you are going to go to Yosemite, especially if you have kids, make sure your vehicle is clean," he said.

Or perhaps leave the minivan back home in the cul-de-sac, where it is safe.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
Re: Yogi Likes Mini-Vans
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2009, 02:50:05 PM »
For Sale- 2009 Minivan, Yosemite area, 10,000 miles.  Slight damage to rear window, otherwise, bearly used.
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2009, 05:55:20 PM »
I think I'll avoid this thread: can't bear the thought of the puns that are coming...
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2009, 06:12:59 PM »
You mean about keeping and arming bears ?
 =)

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2009, 08:32:35 PM »
I think I'll avoid this thread: can't bear the thought of the puns that are coming...

Just going to hibernate, are you?  :rolleyes:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2009, 08:50:34 PM »
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2009, 01:14:50 AM »
What the article appears to say is that "Bears Prefer Minivans", but the study says is that bears smell food inside vehicles and break into them, and minivans are the most likely targets.  What I'd like to see is an experiment involving "control" minivans with no food odors, to show whether or not the bears are targeting them based on their appearance or shape.  That'd be more interesting.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2009, 01:40:23 AM »
And control vehicles WITH food odors, but of other body shapes?

Will bears eat Priuses?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2009, 01:49:50 AM »
>Will bears eat Priuses?<

Maybe not. But I'm pretty sure they'll eat the hippies that drive 'em! >:D
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2009, 02:07:12 AM »
Surely they have better taste. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

jackdanson

• friend
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2009, 02:41:02 AM »
The rebellious bears of Yosemite Valley have developed a taste for that old standard of the suburban family life, the minivan.

Oh great, first they want to get married, now they want to start families and drive minivans too!  When will it end?

Edit:  OOHH, THAT kind of bears.  Nevermind.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2009, 09:55:18 AM »
What the article appears to say is that "Bears Prefer Minivans", but the study says is that bears smell food inside vehicles and break into them, and minivans are the most likely targets.  What I'd like to see is an experiment involving "control" minivans with no food odors, to show whether or not the bears are targeting them based on their appearance or shape.  That'd be more interesting.

Okay, I'll be serious for one post. :)

The article actually suggests that it's more likely the demographic that buys a mini-van than anything else. A family with 4 kids is gonna be much more likely to have a mini-van, and much more likely to have "missing" food in various cracks and crevices that the bears smell. Though it did state that mini-vans are easier for the bears to break into. So there's probably a cause and effect Skinner-like relationship where the food attracted the bears, and they thus learned they can easily pop open a mini-van window.

Though given that many of the bears have now been conditioned, it would still be interesting to run your experiment to verify that they do indeed now key in to mini-vans not just for the food, but because they're easier to break into.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2009, 10:52:17 AM »
I think the SUV statistic is telling.

SUVs may not be AS likely to have food spillage as a minivan, but I seriously doubt there are 4 times less likely.

SUVs get broken into (according to that article) at a rate equal to their presence in the park (22%).

Minivans get broken into at a rate almost 4 times their presence in the park (7% presence, 26% broken into).

This is an indication, to me, that the bears recognize the minivans as an easier opportunity than the other vehicles.

Also of note is that only 40% of the time they were broken into did they actually have food in the vehicle.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2009, 11:09:01 AM »
The minivans look like picnic baskets ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2009, 11:25:02 AM »
I have derived no small amount of amusement from the idea that yuppies and their ill-mannered offspring are considered a viable food source among bears.

Seriously, though, who lets a child eat in a car?  I don't let adults eat in my car, and they're marginally less likely to spill things.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2009, 11:48:39 AM »
SUVs get broken into (according to that article) at a rate equal to their presence in the park (22%).

Minivans get broken into at a rate almost 4 times their presence in the park (7% presence, 26% broken into).

People without kids (clean people) may actually decide to drive an SUV.

Nobody chooses to drive an SUV unless they have kids.

Kids are the common factor here, I believe.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2009, 11:55:37 AM »
People without kids (clean people) may actually decide to drive an SUV.

Nobody chooses to drive an SUV unless they have kids.

Kids are the common factor here, I believe.

Indeed. However, although minivans have higher chances of having children in them than an SUV, do you think those chances are quadruple?
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2009, 12:06:42 PM »
While I have nothing but anecdotal evidence and wild conjecture on which to base any conclusions about the contents of any minivan, yes.  I am willing to accept that the chances quadruple.

I often threaten my wife with the prospect of coming home with her very own Honda Odyssey when she irritates me.  Now I can add a massive increase in the probability of bear attack to the threat.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2009, 01:30:48 PM »
However, although minivans have higher chances of having children in them than an SUV, do you think those chances are quadruple?

Quadruple or more, sure.

Minivans are loathed and reviled by males and females of the single or childless persuasion.

SUV's are sought after by men and women looking for off road capability, high perspective on traffic ahead, cargo space and crash safety reasons.  I bet that most SUV's that get broken into by Yogi are the ones that have 2 benches in back... the Excursions and Suburbans.  More likely to be used by families that have outgrown the minivan, but maybe haven't outgrown the tendency to drop cheez-whiz and animal crackers between the seats.

Thus: 

-A minivan in Yellowstone is GUARANTEED to have food all over the floor or between the seats.

-An SUV in Yellowstone has a far greater likelihood of belonging to a solo or small group of semi-responsible adults that don't bounce around watching spongebob and eating oreos while driving.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2009, 03:10:35 PM »
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2009, 04:43:53 PM »
I am an old fart and like oreos when I drive.  I never was a milk dipper so I can pull it off.  But, I drive a 4x4 pickup.  I bet there are alot of minivan owners that would like to leave their brat kids in the van when they go the park to search for bears.......chris3 ;/

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2009, 05:54:51 PM »
Quote from: makattak
Also of note is that only 40% of the time they were broken into did they actually have food in the vehicle.

The question is still "Did the bears smell food in it?".  The passengers may not have left food in the MV (or they lied about doing so), but the bear could still smell crumbs or food stains.  New or steam cleaned MVs are needed to determine if ursine visual acuity plays a role, or just the sense of smell.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2009, 04:21:21 PM »

Seriously, though, who lets a child eat in a car?

I do.  My kids not going hungry is actually more important than the seats in my car staying spotless. 

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2009, 06:24:16 PM »
Minivans are loathed and reviled by males and females of the single or childless persuasion.

And they're not exactly prized possessions of the childed, either, I wouldn't think. Hence they wouldn't be cleaned as often or as thoroughly. SUV owners are more likely to think of them as status symbols, and keep them clean.  (Unless you like yours to be muddy on the outside, of course.)

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife