Author Topic: Virtual Airport Massacre - Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2  (Read 8907 times)

Cromlech

• friend
  • English bloke
Virtual Airport Massacre - Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
« on: October 28, 2009, 12:10:07 PM »
FIRST I will start by saying that there has yet to be an official word from the publishers/developers on whether the footage is genuine, or some kind of hoax.

If not, get ready for yet another poo-storm in the media over violent videogames.

A recent trailer for the game Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare 2

Potentially NSFW:

http://www.gametrailers.com/user-movie/modern-warfare-2-intro-gameplay/333463
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=364_1256689255

When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
Re: Virtual Airport Massacre - Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2009, 12:32:43 PM »
Ah hell. I can sympathize.

I sure remember the first time I went to the airport and found out all the airlines now want an extra $30 to check my suitcase.

And don't even get me started on the crappy bars and resturaunts in the secured area. $12 for a crappy sandwich made by some non-native English speaker who was probably scratching his crack right before making it? 

And those rows of chairs at the gates, designed more to prevent sleeping than actual sitting? Pure rage. Forget automatic weapons, those make me want a rusty spoon to start going for people's eye-sockets...  :mad:
I promise not to duck.

jackdanson

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2009, 12:45:01 PM »
Meh, Grand Theft Auto has been doing it for years.

I'm keeping my preorder.. the multiplayer will be where its at.  I'm guessing this "mission" isn't in the final version... making it irrelevant, except to the censor nazi's who think only 12 year olds play video games.

tyme

• expat
  • friend
  • Did you know that dolphins are just gay sharks?
    • TFL Library
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2009, 12:51:11 PM »
This makes me want to buy it even more.  It's a bloody game.  The censors need to get over it.

What's stopping me is Infinity Ward's moronic decision not to support dedicated servers.
Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

"Four people are dead.  There isn't time to talk to the police."  --Sherlock (BBC)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2009, 12:54:49 PM »
Neat story line, BTW.  Just how far is it "appropriate" to collaborate with criminals/terrorists...

Makes you wonder what the bad guys' ultimate game plan might be that it is acceptable for a UC agent to mow down hundreds of civilians in an airport.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2009, 01:17:05 PM »
What's stopping me is Infinity Ward's moronic decision not to support dedicated servers.

This. All games will be peer-hosted, and will have a max of 16 players. On the PC, when I play CoD:WaW multiplayer I always play on servers with ~30 players because I like the pace and associated map-size a lot better.

Cromlech

• friend
  • English bloke
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2009, 01:19:12 PM »
Same here. I have plenty of ultra-violent games in my collection, and I don't seem to be any worse off, personally.

The lack of dedicated servers will mean losing out on so much user created content and stuff.
When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2009, 01:30:14 PM »
It looks real - especially the ending. Not all that more violent than Fallout 3, where you get to nuke an entire town.
Makes you wonder what the bad guys' ultimate game plan might be that it is acceptable for a UC agent to mow down hundreds of civilians in an airport.
Well, one of the recent trailers showed pictures of the White House under attack and the Washington Monument smashed up a bit. Hopefully I can run the game on one of my computers.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2009, 01:41:23 PM »
Awesome!  Want!
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Cromlech

• friend
  • English bloke
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2009, 02:56:24 PM »
It looks real - especially the ending. Not all that more violent than Fallout 3...
... or Fallout 1+2, Baldur's Gate 1+2 (turning enemies into chunks with critical hits :D).

=D

jackdanson

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2009, 03:04:55 PM »
lol, liveleak link is down due to copyright violation... hah.  They really are trying to stop this from getting out.

Cromlech

• friend
  • English bloke
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2009, 03:28:15 PM »
Which is of course, impossible on the net, currently. Many people will have downloaded it already, using browser based Flash down-loaders, even of sites that don't let you download as standard. They will then re-upload the video. :D

brimic

• friends
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2009, 05:30:35 PM »
I really want that game bad, but my computer is about 7 years too old to run it. If reviews for operation flashpoint 2 are good, I might finally buck and buy a new computer.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2009, 09:22:44 PM »
OpFlash2 is good, not great. I like Call of Duty Modern Warfare better.

The high point for OF2 is that you can operate almost any vehicle you can find. Also, you can search the bad guys you just shot and take any items you want.

OF2 graphics arent quite as good as CoD:MW. I don't care for the squad leader role either, but I didn't care for Rainbow 6. Thats just me.

BTW, I'm playing on XBOX 360.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Physics

• ∇xE=-1/c·∂B/∂t, ∇·E=4πρ, ∇·B=0, ∇xB=1/c·∂E/∂t, F=q(E+v/cxB)
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2009, 09:46:10 PM »
OpFlash2 is good, not great. I like Call of Duty Modern Warfare better.

The high point for OF2 is that you can operate almost any vehicle you can find. Also, you can search the bad guys you just shot and take any items you want.

OF2 graphics arent quite as good as CoD:MW. I don't care for the squad leader role either, but I didn't care for Rainbow 6. Thats just me.

BTW, I'm playing on XBOX 360.

OF2 is not the greatest game out for PC.  COD4 was better IMO.  I haven't been gaming for awhile now because of school but I will likely get modern warfare 2, just because the graphics are so clean.  Although, lack of dedicated servers is pretty close to a deal breaker for me as well. 
In the world of science, there is physics.  Everything else is stamp collecting.  -Ernest Rutherford

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2009, 01:31:08 PM »
I've always liked CoD for its ease of play, and the fact that it doesn't make you carry around four thousand weapons, only three of which you actually use.  Also dig the stories.  The graphics (especially the Motion Capture and lighting, and especially in the Modern Warfare series) have always been superior to Med... uh, its competitors.

But (and I guess I'm just naive) where is the satisfaction in killing 200+ unarmed people (none of whom seem to be zombies, aliens, or dinosaurs) like this?  ???

If this is a leaked shot of what the engine can do, then congrats CoD, it looks fantastic.  =)  If it's one of the missions, then you got some explainin' to do.

Either way, I won't be buying it, but only because I don't have an XBox360, PS3, or PC capable of playing such a game.  =|
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2009, 01:33:18 PM »
Not sure of the point of that level besides pure unadulterated violence.  I know personally, I love playing Grand Theft Auto..... :angel:
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2009, 01:36:00 PM »
Maybe they're all infected and just haven't turned into zombies yet. :)
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

jackdanson

• friend
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2009, 01:36:51 PM »
But (and I guess I'm just naive) where is the satisfaction in killing 200+ unarmed people (none of whom seem to be zombies, aliens, or dinosaurs) like this?

Not sure of the point of that level besides pure unadulterated violence.  I know personally, I love playing Grand Theft Auto.....

I don't see the point of it either.  The fun part of GTA is the "chase" of it, not the fact that you are shooting cops/innocents.  Frankly I'd love it if in the next GTA you played a cop and got to bust people.  (of course it would still be "open world" where you could do what you want, and you'd have to be chasing down some crooked cops in the storyline)

That said, I'm still buying MW2.  Probably won't even touch the single player.

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2009, 01:39:07 PM »
ZOMG.

I just got the greatest idea ever.

GTA: Sin City.

:cool:  =D
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2009, 02:00:47 PM »
But (and I guess I'm just naive) where is the satisfaction in killing 200+ unarmed people (none of whom seem to be zombies, aliens, or dinosaurs) like this?
It's a mission you can actually win on the hardest difficulty settings?  =D

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2009, 02:18:05 PM »
It's a mission you can actually win on the hardest difficulty settings?  =D

Feh. If it truly was set on "hardest," you'd only be allowed a Chauchat in .30-06, a Lorcin in .25, and you'd be up against a crowd of unruly Brooklynites.   :laugh:
"And are you?"
-Douglas Adams

agricola

• friend
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2009, 06:13:02 PM »
CoD4 was great, albeit the voice acting was very bad.  I dont want to have my rampages spoiled by the twitterings of Ruby's dad out of Eastenders, nor did I want the Brit character to be named "Soap".  Whats next for MW2?  An SBS operative called Soggy Biscuit?

"Idiot!  A long life eating mush is best."
"Make peace, you fools"

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2009, 10:38:04 PM »
Whats next for MW2?  An SBS operative called Soggy Biscuit?
"Roach," actually.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2009, 07:31:33 AM »
Feh. If it truly was set on "hardest," you'd only be allowed a Chauchat in .30-06, a Lorcin in .25, and you'd be up against a crowd of unruly Brooklynites.   :laugh:

Then you'd need to find the silenced High Standard .22 from MOH, that can drop an enemy for 50-75 yards with one poorly placed shot.