Author Topic: We're governed by Callous Children  (Read 1600 times)

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
We're governed by Callous Children
« on: October 30, 2009, 03:05:05 PM »
Peggy Noonan has a good grasp of the arrogance in Washington

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703363704574503631430926354.html

When I see those in government, both locally and in Washington, spend and tax and come up each day with new ways to spend and tax—health care, cap and trade, etc.—I think: Why aren't they worried about the impact of what they're doing? Why do they think America is so strong it can take endless abuse?

I think I know part of the answer. It is that they've never seen things go dark. They came of age during the great abundance, circa 1980-2008 (or 1950-2008, take your pick), and they don't have the habit of worry. They talk about their "concerns"—they're big on that word. But they're not really concerned. They think America is the goose that lays the golden egg. Why not? She laid it in their laps. She laid it in grandpa's lap.

They don't feel anxious, because they never had anything to be anxious about.

Click the link for the full article.

I think she's nailed it- too many people in power have no idea what it's like to see everything fall apart.

I fear that may change, though.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

longeyes

• friend
Re: We're governed by Callous Children
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2009, 03:15:26 PM »
I think most of us are aware that too many Americans have never grown up.  That includes ex-hippie sexagenarians.  We have two lost generations on our hands.

But Noonan used to be gung ho for Obama, no?  What's her excuse?
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2009, 03:20:54 PM »
But Noonan used to be gung ho for Obama, no?  What's her excuse?

She's a wind sock.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2009, 03:22:28 PM »
She's a wind sock.

That, and she finally figured out he was a neo-Marxist like all of us nasty, mean, closet racist conservatives were saying during the election.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2009, 03:37:17 PM »
I'm listening to Michael Medved.  He played a clip of a news person questioning a close Obama advisor about their calling Fox News biased.  Part of the answer in the exchange was "we have to speak truth to power".  Medved was laughing and wondering if these people realize that they are the power now.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2009, 03:41:31 PM »
I'm listening to Michael Medved.  He played a clip of a news person questioning a close Obama advisor about their calling Fox News biased.  Part of the answer in the exchange was "we have to speak truth to power".  Medved was laughing and wondering if these people realize that they are the power now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRthd1gHil4

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2009, 03:45:54 PM »
That, and she finally figured out he was a neo-Marxist like all of us nasty, mean, closet racist conservatives were saying during the election.

Funny how many people I've heard say "This isn't the man I voted for!"

YES, it is. He was LYING. You were just too stupid to look at what he did and only listened to what he said.

America, welcome to your worst "one night stand."
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 03:49:41 PM by makattak »

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2009, 11:53:23 AM »
It is people like Noonan who got Obama elected.  Instead of being dispassionate analysts they became adolescent cheerleaders.  It is a little late for mea culpas; we've got a real mess on our hands now that will not be resolved without a world of tumult.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.