Author Topic: Robert A. Heilein  (Read 9715 times)

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
Re: Robert A. Heilein
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2009, 10:14:37 PM »
 ;/

Read it the first time with an open mind.  Came to the conclusion that it had some strong authoritarian fascist elements in it.  

It is what it is, no need to dance around it.  It was a great book, well worth the read. 
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 10:51:45 PM by Headless Thompson Gunner »

BReilley

• Just a frog in a pond.
  • friend
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2009, 11:19:29 PM »
If you enjoyed Starship Troopers, I recommend Armor by John Steakley.  Somewhat similar, but longer and deeper.

Any William Gibson fans?  Neal Stephenson?  Larry Niven?

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2009, 11:22:10 PM »
Armor was good too.
Look, tiny text!

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2009, 11:22:45 PM »
Neal Stephenson is my favorite author.  Never really found Gibson to be all that good.

Been meaning to read some Niven for a while, but I never seem to get around to it.  I'll add Steakley to my list, too.  Thanks.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2009, 11:24:18 PM »
If you enjoyed Starship Troopers, I recommend Armor by John Steakley.  Somewhat similar, but longer and deeper.

Only read Neuromancer, and didn't like it as a 11 y/o. It's better with age, but not zomgelventyone awesome. Cool genre though.

Neal Stephenson is a great author, but his longer works take some effort to get through. Zodiac was great, even if it was about a duck squeezer. :)

Never read much Niven that I recall.Tried to read Lucifer's Hammer a couple times, but I couldn't make it past the first few chapters.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

BReilley

• Just a frog in a pond.
  • friend
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2009, 12:02:36 AM »
Only read Neuromancer, and didn't like it as a 11 y/o. It's better with age, but not zomgelventyone awesome. Cool genre though.

Neal Stephenson is a great author, but his longer works take some effort to get through. Zodiac was great, even if it was about a duck squeezer. :)

Never read much Niven that I recall.Tried to read Lucifer's Hammer a couple times, but I couldn't make it past the first few chapters.

Gibson got better after Neuromancer, IMO.  I enjoyed Count Zero and Mona Lisa OverdrivePattern Recognition was interesting, though less SF.  The Difference Engine, Gibson's collaboration with Bruce Sterling, was quite good with a unique plot, though I thought it a bit dry.

I agree on Stephenson.  He puts an awful lot of detail into some of his books - and I had a hard time following CryptonomiconSnow Crash was a blast, though, and The Diamond Age was a great read.

I find Niven's short stories to be more agreeable than his full-length books.  I bought Playgrounds of the Mind, which is a collection of short stories, excerpts from books, and Niven's own comments, and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2009, 12:35:56 AM »

Yep. Got to re-read the Sprawl trilogy soon again. Only managed to get through one book (The Diamond Age) by Neal Stephenson so far though.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Fjolnirsson

• friends
  • The Anti-Claus
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2009, 12:54:00 AM »
A lot All sci-fi authors  people who are into scifi  seem to devolve into perverts as they get older. be perverts.
FTFY

Nevermind... :mad:..

Edited to remove useless comment.
Hi.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2009, 01:12:45 AM »
I've been holding off on reporting posts, but suggesting that all people who like scifi are supporters of pedophilia/incest is pretty damn unacceptable.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

jackdanson

• friend
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2009, 02:02:55 AM »
I've been holding off on reporting posts, but suggesting that all people who like scifi are supporters of pedophilia/incest is pretty damn unacceptable.  

Apologies, meant it as a joke, sorry if it didn't translate properly.  Certainly didn't mean to make fun of pedophilia either, although I did mean to make fun of scifi folk... some of whom have..... eccentricities.   ::L. Ron Hubbard:: Ahemm.

I read Starship Troopers.  Couldn't really get into it for some reason.  I liked Enders Game.

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2009, 07:22:57 AM »
HERESY!!!!  The most bestest survivalist SciFi of all time!
Srsly, I re-read it every few years, just to get my Spidey senses tingling.  Many of the major themes ("Black Power", "Women's Lib") seem a bit pale by today's standard.

I read all of Heinlein's novels and short stories, and he seems to have had 3 "periods" of writing.  The juvenile ("Red Planet", "Have Spacesuit, Will Travel"), my faves from the middle of the career ("The Moon is a Harsh Mistress", "Puppet Masters").  After "Stranger in Strange Land", he just got toooooo incestuously weird.  Even at that, those little snippets from Lazerus Long were worth hefting the book.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2009, 08:10:07 AM »
HEINLEIN
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

jamz

• friend
  • bleem
« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2009, 09:26:16 AM »

Loved ringworld, and there were a couple sequels to that, right? I'd need to check those out too.

Cryptonomicon is one of my favorite books, and I loved Snow crash, but man, Quicksilver... too painful, worked really hard for 300 pages, just never got into it.  I have it on tape now, so I'll see how it is to listen to it.
Everybody loves Magical Trevor

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2009, 09:35:09 AM »

Oh, hell, when has that ever stopped you from reporting stuff, Balog? ;)

(reminding self to clean out inbox again...)

Regardless, it's a given that we should play nice here, kids.  

The thread doesn't have to devolve, even though I cannot hold off on repeating that the guy's name is Heinlein.
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #39 on: November 02, 2009, 10:30:36 AM »
Everything of Jerry Pournelle's that I have read was pretty darn good:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pournelle#Bibliography_2

My only complaint is that he wasn't prolific enough and he's on death's door.  I'll take it as a personal affront when he shuffles off his mortal coil.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #40 on: November 02, 2009, 11:16:07 AM »
Loved ringworld, and there were a couple sequels to that, right? I'd need to check those out too.

Cryptonomicon is one of my favorite books, and I loved Snow crash, but man, Quicksilver... too painful, worked really hard for 300 pages, just never got into it.  I have it on tape now, so I'll see how it is to listen to it.
I've read Ringworld 2 and it is pretty good.  I was always a fan of the Man-Kzin Wars books and short stories.  

Look up the "The Lost Fleet" on Amazon.  That is a good series.  

If you like SciFi that has some comedy to it, Dave Freer is a good author.

If you want another author with very strong Libertarian ideas, Michael Williamson's Freehold is pretty good.  He has several other books also.
http://www.amazon.com/Freehold-Michael-Z-Williamson/dp/0743471792/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpt_3

I didn't see Starship Troopers as fascist at all.  I don't think it even fits the definition.  I don't recall a lot of big centralized govt control mentioned at all.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #41 on: November 02, 2009, 11:45:35 AM »
I didn't see Starship Troopers as fascist at all.  I don't think it even fits the definition.  I don't recall a lot of big centralized govt control mentioned at all.

Some people just see it/read it that way, and I'm not sure why. RAH specificaly set up that imaginary world government as a reaction to people who were statists or power-hungry. 
I promise not to duck.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #42 on: November 02, 2009, 12:32:27 PM »
That makes sense.  RAH had a habit of mocking social or political trends disagreed with.  It would be characteristic of him to set a story in an imaginary authoritarian government as a reaction to real-world statists.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #43 on: November 02, 2009, 12:46:02 PM »
(facepalm)

RAH set up the service requirement for the franchise in his imaginary government weed out the power hungry and statists, it wasn't intended to be a mock fascist state. The government in Starship Troopers was set up by veterans of WWIII who were sick of the politicians (and uninformed voters those politicians could lead about by the nose) from the era  of the unearned franchise leading the world into a disasterous war.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 12:51:17 PM by AJ Dual »
I promise not to duck.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #44 on: November 02, 2009, 12:47:01 PM »
In that case, the ironing is delicious.

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #45 on: November 02, 2009, 01:16:46 PM »
So far I've read Starship Troopers, Beyond This Horizon, The Cat Who Walks Through Walls, and Friday.  I need to try Stranger In A Strange Land one of these decades, as well as The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress.

The Cat Who Walks Through Walls definitely crossed over into the creepy realm as far as depictions of sex with much younger women, but I attribute that more to the author making fun of his own fame and writer's fiat than actual intellectual masturbation.

Heinlein hasn't influenced my own writing much, other than to reinforce my ideas of authority and freedom.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #46 on: November 02, 2009, 03:21:48 PM »
That makes sense.  RAH had a habit of mocking social or political trends disagreed with.  It would be characteristic of him to set a story in an imaginary authoritarian government as a reaction to real-world statists.
It wasn't an authoritarian govt.  It was a free republic with a restricted voting franchise.  Restricted voting does not equal fascism. 

Which particular part of it struck you as "authoritarian"? 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #47 on: November 02, 2009, 03:43:45 PM »
HERESY!!!!  The most bestest survivalist SciFi of all time!
Srsly, I re-read it every few years, just to get my Spidey senses tingling.  Many of the major themes ("Black Power", "Women's Lib") seem a bit pale by today's standard.

paraphrased

"So, what do you think you can make with that stuff?"

"I'm positive I can make thermite, and I may be able to make mustard gas."

:O

One of my favorite little bits of Lucifer's Hammer.
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #48 on: November 02, 2009, 07:11:33 PM »
I liked Footfall.

I'm still waiting on my atom bomb propelled spacecraft, how bout it science?

(edit:  RAH was a character in the book, "Bob Anson", so it is on topic)
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #49 on: November 02, 2009, 07:59:56 PM »
I liked Footfall.

Footfall is a good one.  I bloody lost my copy.  Don't know what happened to it, other than I may have accidentally donated it to the library or Goodwill.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.