Author Topic: Californians - Payroll Tax Increase (sort of) FYI  (Read 2578 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Californians - Payroll Tax Increase (sort of) FYI
« on: November 07, 2009, 11:19:49 AM »
For the CA residents. Some of you may already know this, but I just found out that beginning 01NOV the state is withholding MORE of your pay than you have alloted in your W-4. They are doing this to basically get an interest free loan from taxpayers. Your annual tax rate is the same, so if you keep the same withholding exemptions, you'd be getting that money "refunded" to you when you file your taxes. However speaking for myself, I don't like the government using my money for free, so I increased my exemptions by 1. Just an FYI in case any of you want to do the same.

http://www.mybanktracker.com/bank-news/2009/11/06/california-ups-its-withholding-tax-rate/

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-state-tax31-2009oct31,0,2028140.story
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Re: Californians - Payroll Tax Increase (sort of) FYI
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2009, 11:24:13 AM »
I heard Rush Limbaugh talking about that the other day. What happens if there's no money next year at tax time for those who have overpaid? Will those folks get IOU's as many others have been who are owed money by the state?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2009, 11:51:01 AM »
Will the voters over there keep electing Democrats to their legislature?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2009, 12:29:14 PM »

Yes.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Fjolnirsson

• friends
  • The Anti-Claus
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2009, 12:34:03 PM »
Will Californians flee the state in droves, only to demand the same failed policies in their new states? Yes....
Hi.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2009, 01:03:44 PM »
Will Californians flee the state in droves, only to demand the same failed policies in their new states? Yes....

I won't.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2009, 04:55:55 PM »
You won't flee, Ben, or you won't demand the same failed policies? ;)

Most of the western states seem to have been really screwed up by California liberals relocating to better locales. How else to explain John McCain or Harry Reid?

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2009, 06:02:33 PM »

Ordinary looters need well placed professional looters to lead the way.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 08:57:25 PM by Standing Wolf »
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2009, 10:10:05 PM »
Most of the western states seem to have been really screwed up by California liberals relocating to better locales. How else to explain John McCain or Harry Reid?

Or damn near any politician in Oregon.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2009, 11:19:10 PM »
You won't flee, Ben, or you won't demand the same failed policies? ;)

Both.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2009, 11:21:58 PM »
Ordinary looters need well placed professional looters to lead the way.

Yup. I hope the liberals and hippies who screwed up Kalifornistan stay put and sleep in the bed they've made.

No offense to you Ben, I know you're one of the good guys. Just out numbered there...
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2009, 08:38:11 AM »
California gets this reputation for being a "liberal hippy state" that makes no sense to me.

Criminal penalties in California? They hand out 20 to life sentences there like party favors.  Part of the reason the state is going broke is that it has to pay to house all those people that get the life sentences.

Can't blame that one on the hippies and liberals.

The State's economy is collapsing? That's because the entire tax/business system was built by the Reagan-Duke-Wilson trio.  You know, the guys who thought wholesale deregulation was an awesome idea for real estate and securities markets.  Don't even get me started on energy deregulation, which led to rolling blackouts and the public being "served" by such honest folk as Enron.

The mess is biggest in California because the state was built on the same policies that led to the financial meltdown this past year.  And those policies were not "liberal" or hippie in nature.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2009, 10:26:45 AM »
No offense to you Ben, I know you're one of the good guys. Just out numbered there...

No worries Balog. I get just as frustrated as everyone else, especially being old enough to remember the freedoms that CA used to have, and what made it such a great state. Having been born and raised, I still choose to stay and fight -- even though my voice isn't heard much -- if only for a while longer. But if I choose to give up and leave, I just get a little irked being lumped in with the "Californians moving here and screwing our state up".

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2009, 11:02:18 AM »
Don't even get me started on energy deregulation, which led to rolling blackouts and the public being "served" by such honest folk as Enron.

I don't suppose the problem is that the environmentalists won't allow offshore drilling, nor nuclear plants, but insist on windmills and solar panels, is it? Replacing that 90 mega-watt reactor with a 5 mega-watt solar panel array sounded like a good idea to me.

If you have to buy your energy from Texas and Nevada, I'm certain it will cost more.

I'm also certain that the looney laws like microstamping and fingerprinting ammo buyers cost money, and that there's thousands of laws relating to other products and services that are just as looney and costly.

Reagan's term as governor ended 34 years ago. I think you're beating Obama's "blame Bush" record for shifting responsibility.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2009, 09:24:52 PM »
Monkeyleg,

Yeah, Reagan's term ended a long time ago, but his policies and his wing of the Republican party continued to chug right along in California politics, most faithfully with respect to economic policy.  He was the beginning, but Governors with his economic and tax policy continued right through Pete Wilson and Gray Davis.  Those are the people who fashioned the taxation and business policies the state has today.

Enron scamming the state and engineering shortages where none existed previously was the result of deregulation, not actual shortages, which would have been the case had offshore drilling been the cause of those blackouts.  Whether or not drilling offshore is a good idea is a separate debate and one I think ought to be had.  It just doesn't have anything to do with energy de-regulation, which was a failed policy in its own right that led to widespread scamming, huge price increases, and blackouts.  The "free market" in that case delivered fewer services at higher cost than the government regulated scheme.

I'm not willing to pay higher prices for inferior service out of dedication to free market principles, myself. 

"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2009, 09:25:43 AM »
Monkeyleg,

Yeah, Reagan's term ended a long time ago, but his policies and his wing of the Republican party continued to chug right along in California politics, most faithfully with respect to economic policy.  He was the beginning, but Governors with his economic and tax policy continued right through Pete Wilson and Gray Davis.  Those are the people who fashioned the taxation and business policies the state has today.

Enron scamming the state and engineering shortages where none existed previously was the result of deregulation, not actual shortages, which would have been the case had offshore drilling been the cause of those blackouts.  Whether or not drilling offshore is a good idea is a separate debate and one I think ought to be had.  It just doesn't have anything to do with energy de-regulation, which was a failed policy in its own right that led to widespread scamming, huge price increases, and blackouts.  The "free market" in that case delivered fewer services at higher cost than the government regulated scheme.
I'm not willing to pay higher prices for inferior service out of dedication to free market principles, myself. 

Yep, it's de-regulation that caused it.

Because that's what happens when the government "deregulates" an industry where the government still dictates what the prices for the final good is. So, companies buy "deregulated" electricity (because California WON'T produce it's own energy) but are told how much they can sell it for.

The free market made prices just too high! It isn't fair!

Of course, when you won't ALLOW companies to produce energy, FUNNY how the prices go up because there isn't enough energy.

I honestly can't beleive supposedly intelligent people think these things. Then I remember no one is taught to look beyond what they can see anymore.

"Oh look! Prices are going up and there's blackouts! It's the EVIL free market denying people power because they don't want to make money by selling people power when they need it! EVIL EVIL companies making money by not providing what people want to buy!!!11111!@"
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 09:44:54 AM by makattak »
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2009, 09:40:41 AM »
I don't suppose the problem is that the environmentalists won't allow offshore drilling, nor nuclear plants, but insist on windmills and solar panels, is it? Replacing that 90 mega-watt reactor with a 5 mega-watt solar panel array sounded like a good idea to me.

Monkeyleg speak true.

SS forgets, but I watched them decommission Rancho Seco, as it sat there dumping 1,100 Megawatts into the Sacramento Municipal Utilities grid.  It wasn't Reagan that shut it down - it was the Kalifornia anti-nuclear hippies.   

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,957975,00.html

"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

HankB

• friend
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2009, 10:44:42 AM »
Just came back from Kali, spent my time on the northern fringes of LA. My impressions based on one week . . .

1. Sales taxes are a bit higher than in TX.
2. Gasoline prices are sharply higher (50-60 cents more per gallon.).
3. Grocery store prices are higher.
4. Roads are in MUCH worse condition.
5. An awful lot of the people I encountered (grocery clerks, restaurant waiters) barely spoke English.

Other folks I dealt with were unhappy with the high taxation (Kali has a nasty state income tax) and were also unhappy with how the money was being spent. (Not enough being directed towards benefitting tax payers, as opposed to tax users.) Funny thing is, none of them blamed Reagan or Bush - imagine that!
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2009, 11:00:25 AM »
Years ago, a buddy and I were watching some news show with some lefy spouting off.  He mentioned how Reagan had cut funding for some lefty lickspittle program.

But what caught our attention was the way he said it with so much bitterness and the emphasis on the first syllable: RAAAY-gunnn

Since then, whenever one of us mentiones some adverse circumstance or happening, the other is likely to say, "I blame RAY-gunnn!"

Ronald Reagan: fistful for the lefty community.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2009, 06:00:13 AM »
Monkeyleg speak true.

SS forgets, but I watched them decommission Rancho Seco, as it sat there dumping 1,100 Megawatts into the Sacramento Municipal Utilities grid.  It wasn't Reagan that shut it down - it was the Kalifornia anti-nuclear hippies.  

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,957975,00.html

I lived there at that time and saw it too - but there weren't rolling blackouts until Enron was doing its "marketable energy" thing a decade later.

Edit: Obviously, that doesn't mean that closing the nuke plants was a good idea.  Sure, the anti-nuke types have done damage.  So have the anti-gun types.  But CA and its economy were never run by hippies, so the blame for overall mess doesn't lay with them.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 06:21:19 AM by shootinstudent »

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2009, 06:57:13 AM »
The Californian power management system is so broken it's not even funny.

To blame underregulation in this matter is beyond laughable.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2009, 07:37:26 AM »
The Californian power management system is so broken it's not even funny.

To blame underregulation in this matter is beyond laughable.

Agreed.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2009, 10:24:11 AM »
I lived there at that time and saw it too - but there weren't rolling blackouts until Enron was doing its "marketable energy" thing a decade later.

Edit: Obviously, that doesn't mean that closing the nuke plants was a good idea.  Sure, the anti-nuke types have done damage.  So have the anti-gun types.  But CA and its economy were never run by hippies, so the blame for overall mess doesn't lay with them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_electricity_crisis

Also, I'll take Jerry "hippie" Brown for $1000 Alex.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2009, 10:26:58 AM »
But CA and its economy were never run by hippies, so the blame for overall mess doesn't lay with them.
Never?

Really?

Wasn't former Kali governor Jerry Brown nicknamed "Moonbeam" for his far-out ideas? Things like the "California Office of Appropriate Technology" and boosting funding for the California Arts Council by 1300%? Vetoing the death penalty? Appointing Rose Bird to CA's Supreme Court? An adherent of "Buddhist Economics?"

No hippies indeed.  ;/

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2009, 10:52:51 AM »
No no no, you don't understand!

The liberals can't raise taxes easily enough there!

Taxes aren't as high as they want them to be, so OBVIOUSLY it's the fault of the conservatives.

The problem for California is that the citizens aren't taxed enough. Just like the problem for America.

Our economy is OBVIOUSLY falling apart because we haven't taxed it enough. That's how you spur growth- TAXES!
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought