Author Topic: Tilling in UN-composted Leaves: Good, Bad, Indifferent?  (Read 8090 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Tilling in UN-composted Leaves: Good, Bad, Indifferent?
« on: November 10, 2009, 08:50:47 AM »
Howdy:

I spread a bunch of compost over my garden beds a while back, but have not tilled it in yet.

Now, I am looking at a back yard covered in non-fruit-bearing mulberry leaves and I wonder to my self, "Self, why shouldn't I break out the blower, blow them into the garden, and till them in with the compost?"

I collected some leaves a while back, bagged, & tossed them.  The idea of disposing of them in my garden with minimal extra effort is awfully attractive.

The back yard is entirely of mulch & concrete, no grass.

Also, a compost bin is not in the cards, due to several reasons.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
Re: Tilling in UN-composted Leaves: Good, Bad, Indifferent?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, 09:02:35 AM »
They'll break down a bit slower, that's about all I can think of.
I promise not to duck.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 09:03:40 AM »
At first I was wondering why the United Nations was composting anything.

Aren't leaves acidic?  Isn't that why you are supposed to compost them before mulching them into the growing medium?  My limited knowledge comes from killing off what was supposed to be a lawn by leaving the finely chopped (twice run over with a mulching mower) leaves on top of the alleged grass.  Wound up with no alleged grass and fine leaf litter instead of a thriving patch of alleged lawn.

My guess is that if you till them in with the compost already there you will have started a compost pile despite your denial of same.  It just becomes a matter of whether or not the leaves are fully composted by the next planting.  If not, could you drop a fish head in with each batch of seeds?  (Squanto said that should work.  The Pilgrims bought it and ended up throwing a 4-day holiday.)

Again, what's the United Nations got to do with composting your garden?

stay safe.

skidmark
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2009, 09:06:01 AM »
Sure, if you don't intend to grow anything there next year. Srsly, un-composted leaves act as a growth inhibitor, in my experience. Just find a corner where you can pile them to compost and then till them in after they break down.

TC
TC
RT Refugee

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2009, 09:30:54 AM »
You'll be fine. I do it that way in my garden all the time and I do pretty well. In fact I'm still picking stuff from the garden, I expect antoher small picking of okra by the end of the week and have probably a couple pounds of anahiem peppers left on the plants.
The leaves will break down quicker if you can run them over with your lawn mower before you till them in but that isn't mandatory.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2009, 09:30:54 AM »

Dig a hole.  Fill in leaves.  Next year, use that spot.  If you want to stir up trouble, ask folks about the value of layering your compost. 
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2009, 10:10:27 AM »
Say, I've heard about the value of layering your compost. What about that?

>:D
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2009, 10:51:08 AM »
Are you fall tilling your garden?
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2009, 11:31:49 AM »
Are you fall tilling your garden?

Yes, I plan to.  Any reason not to?

Quote from: vaskidmark
Again, what's the United Nations got to do with composting your garden?

No, you misunderstand.  UN delegates and functionaries will be compost in my garden.  I figure I'll start with the UN Human Rights Committee and work my way though UNICEF over time.

Quote from: vaskidmark
Aren't leaves acidic?  Isn't that why you are supposed to compost them before mulching them into the growing medium?  My limited knowledge comes from killing off what was supposed to be a lawn by leaving the finely chopped (twice run over with a mulching mower) leaves on top of the alleged grass.  Wound up with no alleged grass and fine leaf litter instead of a thriving patch of alleged lawn.

For years I mulched in my leaves with the lawn mower in place with fine results.  I had mostly bermuda and then mostly St Augustine grass.  Never a problem.

The acidic part is what I was wondering.

Dig a hole.  Fill in leaves.  Next year, use that spot.  If you want to stir up trouble, ask folks about the value of layering your compost. 

I just looked up "sheet mulching" and realize I have been doing that along the outside perimeter of my fence for two years by using my bagged grass clippings as as a weed smother and then doing the same with the front yard leaves in the fall.

I think the coming spring is a fine time to plant the pecan & dwarf apple trees I have been thinking on.

Sure, if you don't intend to grow anything there next year. Srsly, un-composted leaves act as a growth inhibitor, in my experience. Just find a corner where you can pile them to compost and then till them in after they break down.

TC

I read about that and it seems the leaves use nitrogen at the beginning of the composting process.

<facepalm>

OK, that might be just what I need.  I used 13-13-13 fertilizer on the garden in the spring and it was too much nitrogen, by most folks' opinions, and I had awesome plant growth, but no 'maters or corn.

Tilling in the leaves might just be the ticket to get back on track.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Iain

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2009, 11:42:04 AM »
I figured the UN had created roof tiles made of leaves. Highly compressed or something... wonder if it could work.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2009, 11:46:04 AM »
Yes, I plan to.  Any reason not to?

Whatever plant material that is below ground will hold the soil down when the winter winds come whipping.

I have a fence around my garden to keep the commie rabbits out and when I am done with my garden in the fall I just dump whatever organic matter that is laying in my yard until first snow into the fence. When the soil dries out in the spring I remove the fence and till every up then. Seems that the layer of grass, stick and leaves keeps the early weeds from growing until I till it.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2009, 12:01:52 PM »
i mulch them with a mower, then put them on top of my untilled square foot plots
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2009, 12:06:02 PM »
oak leaves are acidic and might stop germination.   says the guy with the oak trees and a lil over 2 tons of lime so far on the ground since i moved here
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2009, 12:42:20 PM »
oak leaves are acidic and might stop germination.   says the guy with the oak trees and a lil over 2 tons of lime so far on the ground since i moved here

black walnut is far worse.

I till in bur oak, white ash and choke cherry leaves with no ill side effects. I also have yet to add any fertilizer to my garden either. Also when the last crop of the fall is out, I also start throwing all the dog poop into the garden too. I know some composter will probably scold me for that.

Uranus is a gas giant.

• friends
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2009, 12:43:27 PM »
doesn't black walnut sawdust delaminate horses hooves if you use it as bedding?
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2009, 12:45:43 PM »
doesn't black walnut sawdust delaminate horses hooves if you use it as bedding?

I think it poisons the horse.

Uranus is a gas giant.

• friends
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2009, 12:48:03 PM »
i'm a hrse neophyte but someone told me i had to be careful about it.  i know that some plants kill em too

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2009, 03:29:42 PM »
The main reason to not till in uncomposted materials is that the decomposition process sucks up nitrogen, and in a nitrogen low "brown" (dried leaves) the action has a net loss of nitrogen in the soil.

So either do it to a spot to receive plants that don't need lots of nitrogen or at the same time you till in the leaves also add lots of "green" (fresh grass clippings and the like) or a nitrogen rich fertilizer.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2009, 03:32:19 PM »
I think the coming spring is a fine time to plant the pecan & dwarf apple trees I have been thinking on.
Fall and early winter is a better time. Plant when the tree is dormant, that gives the roots time to get settled. 
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?