Author Topic: Decoherence?  (Read 1677 times)

griz

• friend
Decoherence?
« on: December 29, 2005, 10:36:59 AM »
From this article about quantum mechanics:

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/27/science/27eins.html?ex=1293339600&en=05cad611203c3518&ei=5089&partner=rssyahoo&emc=rss

Can anybody better explain decoherence? And to be on the safe side, try to talk at about a high school level.

Thanks, hopefully
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Decoherence?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2005, 11:12:39 AM »
It's the process that many people go through of becoming less and less coherent the more they drink.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
Decoherence?
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2005, 12:03:17 PM »
Try here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decoherence

As for explaining it?  Sorry, come back when the question deals with things biological. Cheesy
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Preacherman

Decoherence?
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2005, 02:49:37 PM »
Having read the article, I think Mike was right - it's definitely alcohol-related! shocked
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional!

Please visit my blog: http://bayourenaissanceman.blogspot.com/

grampster

• friend
Decoherence?
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2005, 03:43:37 PM »
Your body in the plane (dimension) it exist at the moment is coherent.  Quantum mechanics, iirc,
posits the exhistence of alternate planes and when you have the ability to move from one plane to another plane it is thought that your body (or an object) may have the ability to be up, down, right, left, or for that matter at any angle or position in that dimension at the same time.  You could be, for example going forward at the same time you are also going backward.  Decoherence?
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Preacherman

Decoherence?
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2005, 06:33:48 PM »
Sounds more like physiological schizophrenia to me... shocked

drewtam

• friend
Decoherence?
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2005, 07:21:23 PM »
Let me take a shot at this....

Imagine a single particle all alone in infinite space.

From quantum we know, or more precisely, we cant know what exactly the particle is doing, it could be going left it could be goign right, it could be spinning left it could be spinning right, it could be.... you get the idea. Poor lonely particle its spinning and dancing and nobody is watching. It really exists everywhere and could be doing just about anything. It exists not as a particle but as a wave, kinda like light. Where does light "start"? where does it "end"? those questions dont make sense cause its a wave, it exists as one continous things that is everywhere (dont stretch this analogy too far, and dont ask me why it'll just confuse this explanation even more).

Now the minute the particle comes in contact with another particle; it will no longer be everywhere doing anything, it automatically and magically becomes EXACTLY somewhere doing something. It changes from a wave to a particle like you imagined. Now the second particle could be you or me observing it, or I believe experiments have shown that other particles 'see' each other.

This magical change from anywhere to somewhere is decoherence.

Clear as mud now?
I really hope this helps

Drew
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

griz

• friend
Decoherence?
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2005, 03:05:11 AM »
So would it be fair to say that decoherance is the boundry or transition between a wave and a particle? That sounds almost understandable.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

drewtam

• friend
Decoherence?
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2005, 08:24:39 AM »
Yes its the shift from the "wave" to the "particle".

Now let me throw on another level,

The wave is not a physical wave, its more of a concept.
The wave is the PROBABILITY distribution of where its at and what its doing.

So imagine you have a die in the Yatzee! cup. You roll the die in the cup but DONT look.
The die could read anything (1,2,3,4,5,6). The probability for any of those options is 1/6.

Once you look at the die, it magically becomes only one option, theres only one number that is face up.
When you looked and the die changed from being any number to some number, thats decoherence.

Now you can understand part of the wierdness, you might say, "Hey, whether I look in the cup or not, only one number on the die is facing up. It's not like in the REAL world all the numbers are partially facing up, thats just crazy."
But that is precisely the wierdness that Quantum Theory implies, while in wave form the particle is partially in all those places doing all those things. And hence, in that article all the confusion of what is happening in REALITY (whatever that means now) is a major portion of experiment and theory.

An example if you will permit:
There is an eletron in a completely sealed box. In the real world (lol) there is no way possible, no how, it could never in a million years, come close to even trying to get out of that box.

But in the quantum world, the wave for the particle exists outside the box (the wave is very small outside, but it is there). So it may be that if you had a million boxes, or a million electrons, or a million years, there is a chance that electron will actually magically appear outside the box!
Since it actually went through the wall (not through any leak or anything) but full Star Trek disappear and reappear somewhere else, this example is refered to as the tunneling electron.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electron_tunneling

Except for some of the math behind this we are now reaching the end of my knowledge on the subject. I only took the one modern physics course. I can just inagine what the real physicists and especially quantum mech physicists take.

Drew
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

zahc

• friend
Decoherence?
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2005, 09:31:30 AM »
I'm taking quantum next semester. Weee!
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Preacherman

Decoherence?
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2005, 04:42:25 PM »
When you looked and the die changed from being any number to some number, thats decoherence.
Explains why so few of us are successful gamblers... Cheesy

grampster

• friend
Decoherence?
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2005, 05:31:15 PM »
The aforementioned is exactly what I said!
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Justin

• friend
Decoherence?
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2005, 11:40:21 AM »
Once on a lark, I spent the better part of a day reading up on quantum computers, quantum mechanics, and related info.

Didn't understand much.  But what I did dumped me into one of those weird philosophical moods where you know you've just read something terribly insightful, but don't really grasp it.
Your secretary is not a graphic designer, and Microsoft Word is not adequate for print design.

Preacherman

Decoherence?
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2005, 02:27:46 PM »
Well, I suppose this is an appropriate subject for discussion on New Year's Eve...  the more we drink, the more de-coherent we'll become!  See, we're schientishts! Cheesy

Stranger

Decoherence?
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2006, 09:56:12 AM »
I know this is going to drive some of you nuts but in order to get the teacher to answer the question was must give the seventh grader the correct response.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Decoherence?
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2006, 10:13:21 AM »
Decoherence = what happens to me after a big Thanksgiving dinner.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB