Author Topic: Man says he will protest city's gun ban by carrying gun into community center  (Read 4023 times)

MicroBalrog

• friend
Man says he will protest city's gun ban by carrying gun into community center

By Susan Gilmore

Seattle Times staff reporter

A Seattle man said he plans to carry a gun into a Seattle community center today to protest Mayor Greg Nickels' ban on carrying guns into city parks.

"As a courtesy, this is advance notice that at noon tomorrow, Saturday, November 14, I plan to exercise my legal right to bear arms in Seattle's Southwest Community Center, 2801 SW Thistle Street." said Bob Warden in a letter to the Seattle Parks Department. "I will be safely and securely carrying my holstered Glock pistol. I have a current valid state of Washington license to carry concealed."

Warden said he has been an attorney in Washington state since 1991, but he doesn't currently practice law and works in labor relations for an unnamed federal agency in the Seattle area. He said he will take a gun into the community center because the city's new gun ban "was promulgated in knowing and blatant violation of state and federal law."

The ban went into effect last month in certain park facilities and eventually will affect hundreds of playgrounds, community centers, sports fields, swimming pools and water-play areas.

Nickels in September proposed the ban specifically to protect children, but the move immediately drew criticism from gun-rights advocates and questions about its legality.

State Attorney General Rob McKenna said after the gun ban was announced that state law pre-empts local authority to adopt firearms regulations, unless specifically authorized by law.

Nickels said state law does not prohibit a property owner from imposing conditions on the possession of firearms on his or her property.

According to Nickels, the city believes a municipal-property owner such as Seattle may impose limits on firearms as a condition of entry or use of particular facilities, particularly those where children and youth are likely to be.

Four gun-rights groups and five individuals said last month they are suing the city of Seattle and Nickels over the new ban on guns in city parks.

But Warden said Friday he believes the plaintiffs may not have standing because they haven't been denied admission to a city park, and parks officials confirmed Friday the issue has not arisen at any facility.

"I expect their suit may be dismissed," he said, adding that he intends to file his own lawsuit if denied admission to the community center.

"I will do so promptly, and I will have legal standing," said Warden, 44, a graduate of the University of Washington law school. "I don't think public officials should get away with ignoring the law."

He said he will use McKenna's opinion in his suit.

He said he informed the city about his plans because "I don't want to play hide the ball." Further, he doesn't want anyone to get hurt.

Nickels' spokesman Alex Fryer said if Warden "has a firearm, we'll tell him he must leave the community center."

He said if turned away today he will comply, and he described what he would be wearing so he'll be easy to identify.

Copyright © The Seattle Times Company

Micro Sez: This is quite... innovative.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
I am not convinced that any good will come of this.  =(
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
There was a followup article in the Seattle Times today. He went to the community center, press in tow, and was met by the head of security for the Parks Department. She politely asked him to leave and he did so. There were several SPD officers there observing, but nothing of significance happened. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Unisaw

• friend
Man, some of the reader comments in the Seattle Times will just make your head hurt!  The tendency of people to open their pie hole despite a complete lack of knowledge never ceases to amaze me.
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
 [popcorn]
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
I am not convinced that any good will come of this.  =(

If nothing else, it's a man standing up for his convictions and the law.  I wish him the best.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
It's been going well so far. Let's hope he uses his new standing to sue the crap out of everyone he can.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Ned Hamford

• friend
[popcorn]

"I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy"

There are some quality comments being posted in response to these articles.
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
My personal favorite!

I"m sorry, but how can you legally challenge this? If the mayor says you can't have guns, then you can't have guns. Case closed. I don't care what the Constitution says on the issue.

oookay...  there are so many ways to retort to that comment!

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
Posted under the Dem4Life moniker.  Not exactly giving Dems a good name, is he?
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Standing Wolf

• friend
I"m sorry, but how can you legally challenge this? If the mayor says you can't have guns, then you can't have guns. Case closed. I don't care what the Constitution says on the issue.

oookay...  there are so many ways to retort to that comment!

Yeah, but it'd be a lot like trying to reason with a sidewalk.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Regolith

• friend
Yeah, but it'd be a lot like trying to reason with a sidewalk.

Reasoning with sidewalks is easy.  All you need is a very large sledge hammer, applied vigorously and repeatedly.

I'm afraid arguing with that particular individual would be a bit more difficult...
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 07:14:43 AM by Regolith »
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
Micro Sez: This is quite... innovative.
Innovative?  It's a common enough for someone to deliberately break a law in order to challenge it.

MicroBalrog

• friend
It's my experience that 'comments' on articles, youtube videos, and so forth, will always contain the silliest representatives of any political faction. Am I wrong?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
It's my experience that 'comments' on articles, youtube videos, and so forth, will always contain the silliest representatives of any political faction. Am I wrong?

You're right.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

richyoung

• friend
  • bring a big gun
Reasoning with sidewalks is easy.  All you need is a very large sledge hammer, applied vigorously and repeatedly.

I'm afraid arguing with that particular individual would be a bit more difficult...

Could you use the same technique and tools?
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't...