Author Topic: Obowma  (Read 4662 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Obowma
« on: November 16, 2009, 09:16:27 PM »
In the following article, one of the enemy manages to make what seems an honest assessment.   :O

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/2009/11/on-president-obamas-bow-to-the-japanese-emperor-an-academic-friend-writes-that-both-the-left-and-the-right-are-wrong.html
"[President] Nixon [got] the bow right. Slight arch from the waist hands at his side.

"Obama's handshake/forward lurch was so jarring and inappropriate it recalls Bush's back-rub of Merkel.

"Kyodo News is running his appropriate and reciprocated nod and shake with the Empress, certainly to show the president as dignified, and not in the form of a first year English teacher trying to impress with Karate Kid-level knowledge of Japanese customs.

"The bow as he performed did not just display weakness in Red State terms, but evoked weakness in Japanese terms....The last thing the Japanese want or need is a weak looking American president and, again, in all ways, he unintentionally played that part.

I think this is just another instance, as in Arabia, of the never-ending campaign.  He thinks he's going to win votes from the locals by aping their customs, the same way a candidate would shuck corn in Iowa, or eat a cheese-steak in Philly.  (Sorry, Senator Kerry.)

This is our oh-so-cosmopolitan president, who recently claimed to feel so very at home in Asia.  The same yutz who was billed as being so much more worldly than W, then immediately offended Britain by sending back one of their gifts, then had his clueless aids buy Region 1 DVDs for the British Prime Minister. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: Obowma
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 09:42:05 PM »
 ;/

reopened

[popcorn]
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 08:36:16 AM by JamisJockey »
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2009, 08:45:47 AM »
Given the firestorm of criticism that erupted over Obama's bow to the king of Saudi Arabia, the only thing that makes sense about his bowing low before the Emperor of Japan is that he deliberately wanted to embarrass and diminish the USA, and was willing to use himself as the instrument of lowering our nation's stature.

After nearly a year in office, ineptitude and inexperience are no longer plausible excuses for repetition of the same mistakes; deliberate malice towards this country is a more plausible explanation.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2009, 11:46:29 AM »
EMPEROR:  Your shoes are untied.  

Obama:  Huh?

EMPEROR:  Gotcha!  Ha Ha.  

I guess he could have commented on his big American feet. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2009, 11:47:44 AM »
Isn't Obama supposed to have a protocol guy who informs him on stuff like this?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2009, 11:55:05 AM »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2009, 11:57:06 AM »
Isn't Obama supposed to have a protocol guy who informs him on stuff like this?

I said the same thing about the debacle on the gifts to the Prime Minister of Great Britain.

At this point, I can no longer assume it is simply stupidity. (Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.)

Such foolishness occuring a few times, it would be stupidity. An inability to correct the problems means it cannot be simple stupidity.

Only two options are left, arrogance or malice.

I'm leaning towards malice.

http://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2009/11/024916.php

Barack Obama has a history of belittling his adversaries [by indirection]. In April, 2008, he was caught on tape during a debate with Hillary Clinton, rubbing his hand across the right side of his face and extending his middle finger in an obscene gesture that many in the audience could see it but she could not, and when this provoked laughter on the part of his supporters he responded with a knowing smile. Later, after accepting his party's nomination, he did precisely the same thing during a debate with John McCain; and, after Sarah Palin remarked at the Republican National Convention that the only difference between a pit bull and a soccer mom was lipstick, he observed at a rally that a pig with lipstick is still a pig. Again, many in the audience caught the dig and they, too, were rewarded with a knowing smile.

I don't like accepting the theory that these slights against the United States or our allies are planned, but as the number grows, inexperience can no longer explain them. I think these are purposeful insults.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2009, 12:01:33 PM »
There isn't a leftist scholar out there that would honestly ADVISE a US President to bow before the Emperor of Japan.  Let alone a conservative scholar.

This was either deliberate to cover up his bow to the Saudi King, or deliberate to demean the stature of the United States.  There's simply no other explanation.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2009, 12:12:27 PM »
I'll say that those who ascribe all of this to arrogant malice are giving the man too much credit.

I'll lay my money on arrogant incompetence.

We already know that Leftists emote to a higher degree, on matters of social and economic policy. They pick an outcome they feel should exist, and then legislate it, whether or not logic dictates it will actually work.

Issues of protocol are just as affected by this attitude.

Obama felt that his big bow was the correct action, without finding out if it actually was.

And I bet the State Department Protocol flunky who might have told the O administration otherwise is someone that they felt should have the job, probably as a sincure reward for someone in the campaign or from the Chicago machine...

And all of this limits their ability to learn from past mistakes, because to do so would require logic. They feel that the criticisim over the various gaffes such as DVD's and the bowing is the product of their political enemies, (which to a degree it is) instead of considering it may be valid. And even if they accept that what happened truly were gaffes, they feel that their intentions were good, so it still does not really matter.

Obama's willingness to debase himself in front of foreign aristocracy is probably a blessing in disguise. His liberal feelings about egalitarianisim of outcome, as opposed to the conservative ideal of egalitarianisim of opportunity color his actions. As such he feels that he is "just folks" in front of aristocracy. The embarrasment of America is no picnic, however if Obama actually felt like what the POTUS truly is, the most powerful man on Earth, we'd be in for an even worse ride than we already are.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 12:22:12 PM by AJ Dual »
I promise not to duck.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2009, 12:59:38 PM »
Somebody needs to tell 'im we have a three-bow rule in America.  Three and out.  I count two so far.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2009, 01:28:20 PM »
Somebody needs to tell 'im we have a three-bow rule in America.  Three and out.  I count two so far.

Tread lightly. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2009, 01:57:01 PM »
I way dig what this cartoonist did:

Yep. Nailed it.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2009, 02:53:21 PM »
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2009, 03:10:20 PM »
I still can't believe that "lightsaber" pic isn't shopped.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2009, 04:41:34 PM »
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2009, 09:51:22 PM »
Anything that pumps up Putin can't be all that good IMO.  

I guess Putin is more honest though.  I heard that he suggested Bush should have acted to shut the media up back when he was getting hit hard every day (his entire Presidency).  I certainly know that Obama would never actually "say" anything like that.

I tend to lean toward the arrogance explanation.  It is a very common failing among leaders historically. 
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 09:56:05 PM by MechAg94 »

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2009, 03:00:05 PM »
Given the firestorm of criticism that erupted over Obama's bow to the king of Saudi Arabia, the only thing that makes sense about his bowing low before the Emperor of Japan is that he deliberately wanted to embarrass and diminish the USA, and was willing to use himself as the instrument of lowering our nation's stature.
I think this could be a case of what Rush calls the "world apology tour." He may be bowing to the Japanese emperor to signify that he's sorry we nuked them twice. Or something of the kind.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2009, 10:19:56 AM »
"Obama's handshake/forward lurch was so jarring and inappropriate it recalls Bush's back-rub of Merkel.

The 0ne needs a protocol droid, or he'll end up doing a full face on the pavement kowtow to some overlord wannabe.

"You're an American.  Act like it!"
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2009, 10:23:26 AM »
And don't you wistfully recall the days when Ronaldus Magnus could call someone a "twobit tinhorn dictator"?
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2009, 01:00:45 PM »
Dick Morris put it succinctly: Obama is the first Post-American President.  He is the President who was sent to run America for the benefit of the rest of the world, not Americans.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2009, 04:20:55 PM »

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2009, 04:41:29 PM »

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2009, 05:16:05 PM »
Dick Morris put it succinctly: Obama is the first Post-American President.  He is the President who was sent to run America for the benefit of the rest of the world, not Americans.

That is so true.   :'(  On a similar note, Limbaugh said he is not only the post-racial President, he's the post-accomplishment, post-debate President.  Also sad, but true.  Well, except for the racial part. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2009, 06:52:50 PM »
HT wins the Interwebz!
JD

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2009, 04:54:01 PM »
http://www.mysinchew.com/node/31687

SEOUL, Nov 19 (AFP) - South Korea Thursday presented US President Barack Obama with a taekwondo outfit including an honorary black belt as a memento of his stay, officials said.

President Lee Myung-Bak personally chose the gift in recognition of Obama's past interest in the Korean martial art, a spokesman for Lee said.

"Because Obama learned taekwondo when he was senator, a taekwondo uniform, a black belt and an honorary certificate will be presented to him as presidential gifts," said spokesman Park Sun-Kyoo.

Taekwondo has different-coloured belts to indicate skill levels, ranging from white for beginners to black for masters.

Seoul officials said Obama had reached an intermediate and not a master's level after years of practice.