Author Topic: Michael Yon blog  (Read 1118 times)

Ron

Michael Yon blog
« on: December 31, 2005, 07:38:16 AM »
Anybody else been going to his blog?

I have been reading it almost from the beginning, good stuff.

http://michaelyon.blogspot.com/

drewtam

• friend
Michael Yon blog
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2005, 07:52:49 AM »
I also found it to be an excellent blog. I have been reading for quite some time now. As far as I know Michael is out of Iraq for now, but reading from the beginning and getting a sense of how things have changed and how events are being shaped gives one real sense of how we are doing there. You can sign up for his mailinglsit so that you get an email reminder whenever he puts in a new entry, which is about once every week.

My opinion is that 20 years from now when historians are looking back at this time and are gathering primary documents for books and textbooks, Michael Yon's blog will be one of those controversial, but hugely important sources.

Drew

Edit: PS "Gates of Fire" is some of the best reading. But like Band of Brothers, has a lot more meaning if you read/watch from the beginning.
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

Ron

Michael Yon blog
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2005, 08:05:54 AM »
If you have a yahoo home page you can put his blog right on it.

The "Gates of fire" dispatch was intense.

Waitone

• friend
Michael Yon blog
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2005, 11:56:30 AM »
I wish all reporting from Iraq was as good.  Talk about your basic combat correspondent.  Compare his work product with the reports who never left the Sheraton.

I have utmost respect for him and virtually none for his competitors.  Good stuff.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Dannyboy

• friend
Michael Yon blog
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2005, 01:50:54 PM »
Started reading his stuff early this year after following a couple links from Blackfive.net.  Started a thread about him a few months ago, actually.  Hopefully, he'll make it back to Iraq again.  And hopefully, Bruce Willis will be able to make the movie about the Deuce Four.

Another guy who's pretty good is Bill Roggio.  He just came back from Iraq as well.
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.