Author Topic: The Downward Spiral: Effect on Law Enforcement and other Risky Professions?  (Read 4534 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends

Red Headed Stranger posted this in another thread and it made me think:

What will happen as less and less of our society is unable to "man up" and take care of themselves?  Right now we have some concerns about an arguable percentage of our law enforcement officers that abuse their station (like tasing 10 year olds for dubiously justifiable reasons). 

Makes me wonder if the "man up" variable was missing in that particular officer's life experiences, and instead some sort of LEO training instead caused him to fail back to a weapon to assert authority over a 10 year old.

As we get more and more people who resemble the limp twinkie on the cover of this fictional magazine, do we run out of potential candidates for high risk jobs like police, fire, EMT, military, rescue teams and other such jobs?

Does "effete-ism" create a need for tasers and such?  Is it a vicious cycle?  Rush might call it "the chick-ification of men."  Do you think it's happening, and do you worry about its effects on our society long-term?
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
Do you think it's happening, and do you worry about its effects on our society long-term?

Not as much as others, it would appear. 
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
I'm sure it will be/is a problem. We get more civilized, we get weaker. Heck, I worry about myself, never having been in a fight in my adult life. My dad grew up in the city, fighting was a normal kid thing. Not me, my world was much more civilized so here I am less able to take care of myself. I'm sure though that by Josh Sugarmann standards I am a brute. Country boy can survive and all that. At least I live in a place where I can leave my rifle in an unlocked truck, so maybe I can get through life on what I do know.

I was thinking about this the other day in the context of our president. There is at best a compromised male role model situation in his youth and likely a guy who grew up never being the dominant male in his group, never really been hardened by life and now he has the power to start the biggest fights of all.

I said Sugarmann before, I get really ill at the men who sneer and whine about people more ready than themselves to do what is necessary to live in a world that is at best civilized veneer.

Maybe I need to join a MMA gym...
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

MicroBalrog

• friend
I don't see a problem.  Only in the bizarro world-view of leftists is 'civilization' opposed to being able to do mean things to your enemies when necessary.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
I don't see a problem.  Only in the bizarro world-view of leftists is 'civilization' opposed to being able to do mean things to your enemies when necessary.

Quoteworthy!

I personally am not worried about any lack of manly men in our society. At least not in South Carolina where there is no shortage whatsoever.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
There was an article posted a few months back describing the effects of birth control pills on a woman's ideal man.  A less masculine Johnny Depp type were desired over a rugged John Wayne type.  This factor has caused men to emulate the wimpier side, just trying to get a date.  This is becoming ingrained in men.

Police in 50+ years won't be needed except to stop the occasional slap fight.
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

AZRedhawk44

• friends
There was an article posted a few months back describing the effects of birth control pills on a woman's ideal man.  A less masculine Johnny Depp type were desired over a rugged John Wayne type.  This factor has caused men to emulate the wimpier side, just trying to get a date.  This is becoming ingrained in men.

This^^^ is what also went through my head as I was writing the OP.  Not just the effect of birth control on a woman's idealized man, but also the effect of birth control residual drug levels in city water supplies and the effect that has on men.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!

Two words..  Miranda and Reavers

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
Two words..  Miranda and Reavers

Automatic Serenity Reference Thread Win!
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
This^^^ is what also went through my head as I was writing the OP.  Not just the effect of birth control on a woman's idealized man, but also the effect of birth control residual drug levels in city water supplies and the effect that has on men.

Really?  That all sounds pretty dubious, even to such a credulous buffoon as myself.  To start with, maybe the Johnny Depp fans are more likely to take birth control pills? 

The problem would be the continued dominance of left-wing worldview. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

BridgeRunner

• friend
Re: The Downward Spiral: Effect on Law Enforcement and other Risky Professions?
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2009, 05:34:58 PM »
Amazingly, I can sum up my reaction to this thread in no words:

;/

Oh, alright, I'll be slightly more effusive:  your balls are safe, really.  Any guy who thinks he's too masculine to get a woman might be confusing "masculine" with "jerk".

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2009, 05:39:13 PM »
Really?  That all sounds pretty dubious, even to such a credulous buffoon as myself.  To start with, maybe the Johnny Depp fans are more likely to take birth control pills? 

http://health.msn.com/health-topics/sexual-health/birth-control/articlepage.aspx?cp-documentid=100246210

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2009, 05:58:23 PM »
As we get more and more people who resemble the limp twinkie on the cover of this fictional magazine, do we run out of potential candidates for high risk jobs like police, fire, EMT, military, rescue teams and other such jobs?

Does "effete-ism" create a need for tasers and such?  Is it a vicious cycle?  Rush might call it "the chick-ification of men."  Do you think it's happening, and do you worry about its effects on our society long-term?

I read these passages of your post, and the movie "Demolition Man" came to mind.  It's an old Sylvester Stallone / Sandra Bullock sci-fi movie, if you're not familiar with it, and it illustrates the above quoted points perfectly.  See it if you haven't.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2009, 06:14:57 PM »
All restaurants are Taco Bell.  =D
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2009, 07:06:58 PM »
I guess that's why I like the older movies...

The so called male actors these days are mostly baby face types, compared to John Wayne, Robert Mitchum, Richard Boone, Steve McQueen, etc ....
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2009, 07:12:01 PM »
Feminism stopped being about equality a long time ago. Probably shortly after, you know, achieving it's goals (legally if not culturally). Modern Western culture tends to hate on masculinity, or confuse a whole bunch of extraneous stuff as masculine.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2009, 07:27:37 PM »
I wonder why that is...  ???

(seriously asking, here; not being sarcastic)
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

crt360

• friend
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2009, 07:36:53 PM »
If you mean lack of 18 year olds willing to do physically risky jobs, I don't see it.  If you mean shortage of intelligent, charismatic, responsible leaders, maybe.

I'd worry more about long term effects of the overprescription of, abuse of, and addiction to happy and smart pills than what kind of guy birth control pills make a girl interested in.

All restaurants are Taco Bell.  =D

Who knows, maybe some day we will learn how to use the three sea shells.  :laugh:
For entertainment purposes only.

grey54956

« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2009, 08:00:57 PM »
The three seashells?  Scoop, scrape, and shine.
"There are no carefully crafted arguments here, just a sausage-chain of emotional crotch-grabs." - Longeyes

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye and see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain." -- Frank Herbert, Dune

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2009, 08:03:14 PM »
I wonder why that is...  ???

(seriously asking, here; not being sarcastic)

Which "that" are you referring to?

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2009, 08:12:18 PM »
Modern Western culture tends to hate on masculinity, or confuse a whole bunch of extraneous stuff as masculine.

That part confuses me.  I wonder what happened.
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2009, 08:13:44 PM »
That part confuses me.  I wonder what happened.

Hating on men is a result of the radicalization of feminism. The extraneous stuff is just human's depraved nature breaking through, and has always been that way.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2009, 09:20:48 PM »
What will happen as less and less of our society is unable to "man up" and take care of themselves?  Right now we have some concerns about an arguable percentage of our law enforcement officers that abuse their station (like tasing 10 year olds for dubiously justifiable reasons).

Tazing 10-year olds is (if you'll pardon an unintended pun) child's play. Google Jason Anderson Orange CT crash

Here's a shortcut: http://video.aol.co.uk/video-detail/cop-crash-kills-2/2030682278
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2009, 09:28:57 PM »
I wonder what happened.

It couldn't possibly have anything to do with men declaring feminism to be obsolete while blaming women for most of the world's problem, including bad cops, misbehaving children, absent fathers, and effete guys, could it?

No, no, of course not.  Never mind.  Carry on. 

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2009, 09:30:20 PM »
It must suck to be a woman.