Author Topic: Costco: Worth it for a single guy?  (Read 16919 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Costco: Worth it for a single guy?
« on: December 02, 2009, 12:47:53 PM »
Prior to moving in to my new house, I had a very full cupboard.  Lots of canned food, pastas, dry foods like cereals/rice/et cetera.

While not a complete TIKIWIKI kit, it was probably at least 3 months worth of food.  Maybe more.

I started eating it all down.  My justification was the fact that I didn't want to move it all.  And, it should be cycled out faster anyways.  This let me save money faster for my down payment, since my food budget was less.  I only bought fresh produce as needed, and ignored all the other stuff.

When I moved I still had a bunch of it left over.  So I continued eating it.  I spent the saved money on small home improvements, some gun stuff I'd been putting off for awhile, and other schtuff.

It finally gave out about a week or two ago. 

I started comparison shopping stuff to rebuild the "stash."  Amazing that Stag canned chili is almost $2.50 at Safeway, but only $1.38 at Walmart. 

I tend not to grocery shop at Walmart since I don't like their produce or meat departments.

I used to shop at Costco with the ex-GF though when we were dating, and their produce and meats were of good quality and reasonable prices, though quantities made it challenging for two people to use fresh food before it was no longer fresh.  As a single guy... I'd have a hard time eating produce in the volume they sell before it went bad.  $5 for 5 pounds of spinach doesn't save me money against $5 for 2 pounds of spinach, when I can only eat 1.5 pounds before it goes wilted.

I don't remember the prices they had on canned stuff, however.  Is it better than Walmart?  Better enough to be worth the $50 annual membership fee?

My "stash" consists of food that I actually eat in normal day to day activities rather than uber-tactical MRE's, mountain house meals, and bucket-o-crap kits that nobody ever actually uses day to day and don't know how to cook with.  Campbell's soups, chili, canned fruits and vegetables, mac'n'cheese, pasta-roni, bulk rice, breakfast cereals, oatmeal, crackers, granola bars and other comfort foods.  I want to rebuild it to at least a 6 month level in case of inflationary problems or other Obama-exacerbated crap.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

longeyes

• friend
Re: Costco: Worth it for a single guy?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2009, 01:20:49 PM »
I like bulk chicken thighs, salmon.  Divide into packets in ziplock bags.  Freeze.  De-freeze as necessary.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2009, 01:26:34 PM »
I shop for two.

I like Sams for things that are either non-perishable, or can be frozen.

We buy a 10lb log of ground beef, then divide it into 8th and freeze.  Works well to make a meal later on, and this will keep for a long time frozen.  We do the same with several kinds of meat products.

I've found that a gallon of milk from Sams is slightly cheaper then a half gallon from the grocery store.  Even if we end up throwing half of it away, it's still a better deal.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2009, 01:30:19 PM »
When you consider the savings on non-perishable items, such as batteries, tools, tires, books, DVDs, and the like, I think Costco is very viable for a single person.  The kids are gone, so it is now just the wife and I.  We still shop at Costco, albeit less than when all the kids were young and at home.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Paragon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2009, 01:36:45 PM »
I'd say so, from when I was a single guy.  I have a BJ's membership, which costs 45 dollars a year.  The way I figure, if you save a dollar a week on groceries, then over the course of the year you do end up saving money.  I purchase my perishables elsewhere, but BJs is good for things that won't expire (or at least expire quickly).  I'd save enough money on paper towels, toilet paper, and beer to justify the cost of the membership.  I'd also do what longeyes suggested, and buy bulk packs of meat and freeze them.  It's also great for things you use over time, such as toothpaste, shaving cream, razors, cleaning supplies, laundry detergent, ect.  I would inevitably spend a few hundred dollars every time I went into the store, but the things I purchased would last me a LONG time.  Plus, with BJs at least, they frequently send out coupons that are very good. 

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2009, 01:38:02 PM »
When you consider the savings on non-perishable items, such as batteries, tools, tires, books, DVDs, and the like, I think Costco is very viable for a single person.  The kids are gone, so it is now just the wife and I.  We still shop at Costco, albeit less than when all the kids were young and at home.

Indeed. And if you happen to use the type of razor/shampoo/soap/laundry soap etc that they carry it's even more so. And their gas is almost always a good % cheaper than filling stations. Aside from things that can be frozen, pre-made and frozen foods, booze, soda, bulk dry goods etc. And if you have a single friend you can add them and split the initial cost. Or coordinate with a friend in the area who already has an account and will let you tag along with them.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2009, 02:01:12 PM »
Lots of other items you can score at costco for cheap, but do your homework prior to purchasing.  Got my Vizio TV there and it was a steal.  Other similar items, too.  We buy bulk bottled water, stuff like that.  Hell, Costco even sells bulk SHTF stuff  [tinfoil]
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2009, 02:03:08 PM »
I sometimes fantasize about Costco selling ammo, maybe Russian Wolf.Brown Bear etc. Mmmm cheap pallets of reloadable 7.62x54R...

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2009, 02:10:11 PM »
...I'd save enough money on...toilet paper...justify the cost of the membership...

Two females in the house.  I figure the above is an accurate statement for me.

As for a single guy, yes, it is likely a good deal.  If you like their non-perishables, you can likely limit your grocery shopping to once a month or less frequently fro non-perishables and quickie groceriy runs every week for perishables.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2009, 02:27:22 PM »
I keep waiting for G98 to weigh on on the value of Costco when you have the WarCrack Kids dwelling in your basement.......

Paragon

• friend
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2009, 02:28:02 PM »
Two females in the house.  I figure the above is an accurate statement for me.

Bingo!  That's why I keep it still.  My girlfriend and her 3 year old daughter live with me, so we go through TP at a fast pace.  Plus, my son is just now starting to get potty-trained, and he's good for unrolling the entire roll if you let him.  

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2009, 03:25:56 PM »
We keep a goodly supply of food at the cabin, out on the property, and in the motorhome.  We buy at Big Lots, Dollar General and Family Dollar stores.  All we buy from markets is meat, milk and produce.  Unless you really want to store a couple dozen of some one particular item, it is overpriced and over rated in my book.

Combine that with the crowds, squalling brats, rude people who walk off and leave their carts blocking the isles and the piss poor boxing at the checkouts and it is low on my list of places to go or shop.  Sam's is only slightly better.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2009, 03:29:19 PM »
I'll grant you that, Costco is a crappy shopping experience. If you can go during off-peak hours it's a huge plus. They do have excellent meat ime.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2009, 04:20:11 PM »
I'll grant you that, Costco is a crappy shopping experience. If you can go during off-peak hours it's a huge plus. They do have excellent meat ime.

Yep.  I only go during the week, mid morning.  Preferably, since I have a business card, I take advantage of that extra hour.... >:D
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2009, 04:22:59 PM »
Yep.  I only go during the week, mid morning.  Preferably, since I have a business card, I take advantage of that extra hour.... >:D

Spoken like a true HausFrau.   =D
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

nico

• friend
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2009, 04:27:01 PM »
If you buy the frozen and nonperishable stuff, it can definitely be worth it.  Kirkland shampoo is just as good as any name brand and less than half the price. 

ETA: I don't usually use fabric softener, but the jugs of All detergent they have area really cheap too.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 05:42:13 PM by nico »

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2009, 04:33:50 PM »
The Kirkland liquid fabric softener is crap though, according to my wife.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2009, 05:36:38 PM »
I am also told that if you live in a state in which Costco can sell hard liquor, there are tremendous price savings on that, especially the Kirkland Signature brand.  Washington has a state monopoly on selling liquor, so we cannot buy it at Costco.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2009, 08:31:57 PM »
Yeah, toilet paper.  You got that right.

Anything made of paper.

"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

mgdavis

• friend
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2009, 08:52:54 PM »
I am also told that if you live in a state in which Costco can sell hard liquor, there are tremendous price savings on that, especially the Kirkland Signature brand.  Washington has a state monopoly on selling liquor, so we cannot buy it at Costco.

Last year, when I was in Juneau, I was moderately surprised when I discovered that you can actually buy giant bottles of Kirkland Signature hard liquor.

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2009, 10:08:10 PM »
My "stash" consists of food that I actually eat in normal day to day activities rather than uber-tactical MRE's, mountain house meals, and bucket-o-crap kits that nobody ever actually uses day to day and don't know how to cook with.  Campbell's soups, chili, canned fruits and vegetables, mac'n'cheese, pasta-roni, bulk rice, breakfast cereals, oatmeal, crackers, granola bars and other comfort foods.  I want to rebuild it to at least a 6 month level in case of inflationary problems or other Obama-exacerbated crap.

If you're just looking to buy canned stuff, I suggest Save-A-Lot, Aldi's or whatever budget food store you have in your area.  Yes, Costco has canned foods cheaper than a regular grocery store, but they're almost all name brand canned foods.  Off brand stuff from budget food stores is usually still cheaper, often significantly cheaper.  I find most of it to be just as good as the name brand stuff, but even if it isn't quite as good, it's good enough for a SHTF stash.

nico

• friend
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2009, 11:57:48 PM »

I forgot about that.  I've heard rumors (they don't sell liquor around here) that Kirkland scotch is actually Macallan 18, and it goes for something like $50/bottle (about 1/3 of what it costs around here). 

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2009, 12:01:16 AM »
The two things holding me back are my lack of deep freeze and the as yet unfinished basement pantry. I have a vacuum food sealer, want a dehydrator. Everything else adds up for me to have a Costco membership. 2 females in the house, survival nut, 4 legged eating machine, hour plus drive to civilization, etc. My plan is to get a membership, figure out what we already eat that lasts forever, buy a crap ton of it, vacuum bag or otherwise protect as needed, date it, and store it. Then I'll just use it down to a re-buy point then go get more. Hopefully I'll be done before the Mayans or Obama get me.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

red headed stranger

• friend
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2009, 11:22:45 PM »
If you have a Costco near you that sells gas, you will more than make up the cost of membership.  (the one in Gilbert on the corner of Baseline and Country club sells gas.) Also, they have great deals on various giftcards and movie tickets which add up to savings pretty fast (if you use them.) 

I also shop during off peak hours, but I am also a kept man these days.   =)

Those who learn from history are doomed to watch others repeat it

PTK

• friends
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2009, 11:41:59 PM »
As mentioned, the gasoline price makes up for membership. That, plus what I save on yeast, flour, sugar, and salt in just a few months is worth every cent of the membership.

Heck, on flour alone I've saved a good $30 in the past two months. I bake all of my own bread and such, no store bought things I can make way cheaper.  =D
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."