Author Topic: Oh Yeah, now I get to play mechanic.  (Read 3821 times)

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
Oh Yeah, now I get to play mechanic.
« on: December 02, 2009, 11:36:49 PM »
I finished up the preparatory body work on the motor home today.  Not painted yet but sanded and primed.  Drove it out of the RV area at my buddy's place so I could put my work trailer in the secure area.  Drove up a block and back to get it on the other side of the street.  After I moved the trailer and truck I parked it in front of his garage and went in to eat supper.

Came out to a puddle of antifreeze under the engine.  Bright green, brand new antifreeze from last Thursday when I had the thermostat and coolant changed at my home town garage.  Crawled under and sure enough, it is coming from the water pump.  Dribbling down from above the lower radiator hose and dripping steadily.  Wonderful.  Last night I played mechanic on my son's jeep and tomorrow I get to play with the motor home.

You know if I didn't have my mechanics tools with me this wouldn't have happened. ???

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Re: Oh Yeah, now I get to play mechanic.
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 12:29:07 AM »
Sounds to me like your mechanic should come out and tighten the hose clamps for you.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2009, 01:13:45 AM »
I replaced the water pump on an early 80' Ford station wagon once. Not horrible, but I had lots of help. I hear newer cars are far more annoying, and I have no idea about RV's. Good luck GS.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2009, 07:44:14 AM »
I have no idea about RV's. Good luck GS.

His RV must be a rear-wheel drive vehicle, so there should be ample room to do the job.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2009, 07:46:49 AM »
I've done a water pump on a Ford V8... piece of cake on those engines.

Contrast this to my Eagle Talon, where the water pump was buried under the front case.  :O

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2009, 08:15:57 AM »
My project for this weekend is to swap the transmission in my sisters Explorer.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2009, 09:55:33 AM »
Sounds to me like your mechanic should come out and tighten the hose clamps for you.

Well, lets see.  I am 160 miles from home.  The thermostat housing is connected to the upper radiator hose, not the lower.  I checked all of the connections and clamps, and the problem is the water pump leaking from the weep hole.
How is my mechanic driving 320 miles to tighten hose clamps going to fix the problem?
His RV must be a rear-wheel drive vehicle, so there should be ample room to do the job.

This is a van based motor home, so the water pump is under the A/C unit and behind the fan, under the fan shroud, next to the alternator.  I might have 3 inches between the radiator and the front of the fan.  Looks like a fun time today. (Once I have my pot of coffee, that is.)

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2009, 09:59:48 AM »
Maybe you should make that decaf...........................chris3 =D

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2009, 11:10:25 AM »
[Emily Latilla voice]Never mind[/Emily Latilla voice]

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2009, 11:33:07 AM »
I changed out a van-RV water pump back in my service station days (back in the service station days  :O ).

It was a royal PITA  :mad:  Took me all day as I remember and I don't think I charged for all my time just because it was getting astronomical.

Are you sure that it's the water pump  ???

After all the troubles that you've had with that thing, maybe an exorcism is in order  ;)

Have you considered just cutting the cab off and making a travel trailer out of it?  :lol:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

brimic

• friends
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2009, 11:36:08 AM »
Are you sure that it's the water pump 

Leak from weep hole= water pump is toast. Fun times.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2009, 11:56:08 AM »

Good question.  It's possible somebody shot the Predator in your driveway.

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2009, 12:36:39 PM »
I changed out a van-RV water pump back in my service station days (back in the service station days  :O ).

It was a royal PITA  :mad:  Took me all day as I remember and I don't think I charged for all my time just because it was getting astronomical.

After all the troubles that you've had with that thing, maybe an exorcism is in order  ;)

Have you considered just cutting the cab off and making a travel trailer out of it?  :lol:

Yes, I am sure it is the water pump.  I crawled under it and watched it run down the housing, onto the hose and down onto the driveway.  I started dis assembly and found I had almost no room to work.  My forearms are all scratched up and that was just getting the radiator support and protective cover off.  I can't get a ratchet onto the bolts on the back of the fan because it is so close to the pump body.

I got the number of the shop my son uses, and whom I talked SERIOUSLY to about treating him right and they agreed to replace the water pump for $150 parts and labor.  I can do more of the work here on Steve's place while I wait.  The trip to Texas will have to start tomorrow morning instead.

As much as I hate spending money to get something done, the damage to my body has to have some value? ;/

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2009, 01:03:48 PM »
The trip to Texas will have to start tomorrow morning instead.

Where in the Lone Star State you headed?

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2009, 01:15:18 PM »
Where in the Lone Star State you headed?

Brad

We will be heading south to the Arizona border, across to Carlsbad NM for a look see.  From there we will go across Texas just below the panhandle and along the northern border above DFW to New Boston and then south to Jasper.  We will keep to only secondary roads as much as possible.  Trying to see the country, not from the high speed lane.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2009, 02:22:43 PM »
Heck, you'll probably be coming through Lubbock (or at least darn near).  To get to north-central Texas from Carlsbad you have to run right over the top of us.  Call if you're close enough and I'll buy you a cup of coffee.

Also, if you're in need of an out-of-the-way RV park, try this place...

www.LonghornRanchResort.com

It's my parent's place - out in the country on our ranch but still has full hookups (on-site managers are Larry and Sharon Hannon).  It's roughly halfway between Lubbock and the DFW metro area.  My brother has the steakhouse next door.  It's literally in the middle of nowhere.  Wheat fields on one side of the road, ranchland on the other.  If you want to stay on secondary roads it doesn't get much more "secondary" that that!

Brad
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 02:28:11 PM by Brad Johnson »
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2009, 03:36:50 PM »
Yes, I am sure it is the water pump.

I was joking!  I still think you need to get a priest or someone to drive the poltergeist or demon or boggart or whatever out of your motor home.  ;)

The TX Hill Country is nice this time of year  =)

If you get up in the far TX/OK Panhandle you could stop by to see my dad and his side of the family.  They have two chevy dealerships so you could go there to break down  :P
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2009, 03:38:18 PM »
I was joking!  I still think you need to get a priest or someone to drive the poltergeist or demon or boggart or whatever out of your motor home.  ;)

Kelpies. Always the damn kelpies.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2009, 03:40:18 PM »

If you get up in the far TX/OK Panhandle you could stop by to see my dad and his side of the family.  They have two chevy dealerships so you could go there to break down  :P

Which ones and where?

Brad
-HankB

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2009, 05:54:16 PM »

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2009, 12:04:24 AM »
Kelpies. Always the damn kelpies.

Gremlins!  The same ones who move my tools, turn lights on I know I turned off just minutes ago.  They also move my truck while I am in a store or sneak my debit card out of my wallet before I go up to a register to pay.  One of these times I am going to catch one of them in the act and that sucker, he's gonna pay. :mad:

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2009, 09:26:29 AM »

LMAO.

GS:

I'd seriously consider trading it in and getting a 5th wheel trailer and tow vehcle like a 3/4 ton PU.  Pickups are usually MUCH easier to work on.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2009, 09:49:57 AM »
LMAO.

GS:

I'd seriously consider trading it in and getting a 5th wheel trailer and tow vehcle like a 3/4 ton PU.  Pickups are usually MUCH easier to work on.

I already own a trailer.  However it is hard to get on the road when someone is still sleeping.  Like this morning for example.  If she were still sleeping in the motorhome, I could just start up and drive. Instead I am just sitting here waiting for her to get up and get ready so we could hit the road.  At this rate it will likely be noon before we get started.  We have already lost a day, now it will be a day and a half. =|

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2009, 03:06:04 PM »
Have you considered a cattle prod ?   =D

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2009, 03:33:58 PM »
Huh, you can't just tool on down hte road with someone dozing in the trailer?
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton