Author Topic: Cops Called In For Lego Gun (Canada)  (Read 3455 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Cops Called In For Lego Gun (Canada)
« on: December 05, 2009, 10:18:56 AM »
Maybe if the caller wasn't a Peeping Tom...

------------------------
http://toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20091203/lego_gun_091203/20091203?hub=Toronto

Lego gun sighting leads to police takedown

Updated: Thu Dec. 03 2009 9:23:54 PM

ctvtoronto.ca

A Toronto designer became a participant in a real-life Flashpoint-style event when police tactical officers showed up at his workplace over a firearms call that involved a Lego gun.

"I've had numerous people either say, 'Oh my God, I thought Flashpoint was just filming,' or, 'This is totally going to be a Flashpoint episode at some point'," Jeremy Bell told ctvtoronto.ca on Thursday. "Yeah, it's pretty surreal."

Flashpoint is a CTV drama, set in Toronto, about a police "strategic response unit."

Late Wednesday afternoon, Bell -- a partner with the digital design firm Teehan+Lax, located at 460 Richmond St. W. -- was assembling a replica handgun made out of Lego that had arrived.

"It arrived yesterday and at the end of the day, I decided to put it together. I literally assembled it, handed it to a co-worker (who promptly broke it) and then put it back in the box," Bell wrote in a posting on his personal blog.

"The SWAT arrived shortly thereafter."

Across the street, Michael Dent was working in his third-floor loft. He saw what he thought was someone assembling a firearm, so he took some photos and called the police.

"I don't really like guns right beside me -- and then it turned out to be Lego," Dent chuckled.

But he added, "My girlfriend is moving in with her daughter and stuff, and it looks right into our loft where we sleep, so no, not cool."

Dent said the door of the office was shut, and it never is, so for all he knew, someone might have been laid off "and about to go postal, so that's why I called."

Bell was in his office and then heard a voice yelling his name and instructing him to come into the hallway.

"At first I thought, 'who did I piss off?' I wasn't worried about my safety ... but I certainly wasn't expecting to see an armed officer," he said, adding he couldn't remember what type of firearm was pointed at him.

Bell said he knew he hadn't done anything wrong.

"As soon as I realized they were actual cops and this was not a joke, I was, 'What else could it be? It's got to be the stupid Lego gun I put together'," he said.

Police had him put his hands on his head and walk backwards towards them. "They cuffed me, pulled me into the stairwell and threw me against the wall. They spread my legs and checked to make sure I didn't have a weapon on me," he said.

Bell said he told them where the Lego gun was, they went to check it out and then uncuffed him. He was handcuffed for about 90 seconds.

After seeing the photos, Bell said he can understand why Dent called the cops, although to him, it's still clearly Lego.

"There's like a million pieces on the table," he said, adding, it's not like he waved it around or took it out on the street.

Const. Tony Vella of the Toronto Police Service no charges resulted from the incident, the response for which involved uniformed and tactical officers.

"We have to take all the gun calls seriously because we don't know what we're getting involved in," Vella said. "There's the potential for public risk as well as the risk to the officers' safety."

On his blog, Bell wrote: "The cops clearly don't take this s**t lightly."

Dent wondered what his phone call cost the city in taxes.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 11:15:42 AM by Ben »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
Re: Cops Called In For Lego Gun (Canada)
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2009, 10:40:42 AM »
What an emasculated little castrati. And the guy with the Lego gun is ok with the peeping tom calling the cops?!?!?!
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2009, 12:10:21 PM »
"I don't really like guns right beside me -- and then it turned out to be Lego," Dent chuckled.
But he added, "My girlfriend is moving in with her daughter and stuff, and it looks right into our loft where we sleep, so no, not cool."

Well, heck. If it's "not cool," you've got to call the cops. Can't have uncoolness!
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2009, 12:31:35 PM »
Pretty realistic looking for being made out of legos.
Look, tiny text!

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2009, 01:54:20 PM »

Wonder why he does not go down there, checkbook in hand, to find out.

Oh!  Right!  Because he really should not have to pay for everybody making sure he is "safe" from folks who might be going postal across the way from his loft window, where he is going to be cohabitating with his girlfriend in the presence of her minor child.

Leggo guns are "not cool" but the whole moral behavior thing is no big deal.  Gotta love then Canadians.

stay safe.

skidmark (who really does not care who you do or do not sleep with, but prefers that you keep it to yourself)
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2009, 02:11:14 PM »

I don't know, but I hope it costs him a lot more than that in a civil lawsuit.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2009, 02:17:30 PM »
Oh!  Right!  Because he really should not have to pay for everybody making sure he is "safe" from folks who might be going postal across the way from his loft window, where he is going to be cohabitating with his girlfriend in the presence of her minor child.

You're making the assumption that he has only one room in his loft. Or that the child is there, always. Dangerous assumptions to make.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2009, 02:18:44 PM »
At least we can all rest assured that such silliness it cannot happen here in the US.   ;/
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2009, 02:43:36 PM »
At least we can all rest assured that such silliness it cannot happen here in the US.   ;/

It's certainly always bothered me, and quite frankly, I keep my blinds closed if I'm cleaning a gun or something, just because I'm afraid a neighbor will peep in my slider and call me in (I live next door to a school). I also always take my long guns from my front door to my vehicle in discrete cases. Sad state of affairs.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

jackdanson

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2009, 04:49:56 PM »
I do the same, but only because I'm worried about theft.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2009, 05:08:47 PM »
I do the same, but only because I'm worried about theft.

Yeah, that too. :)

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2009, 05:14:08 PM »
Const. Tony Vella of the Toronto Police Service no charges resulted from the incident, the response for which involved uniformed and tactical officers.

"We have to take all the Lego calls seriously because we don't know what we're getting involved in," Vella said. "There's the potential for public risk as well as the risk to the officers' safety."
Fixed it.

Good job, Constable.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2009, 02:33:00 PM »
Since when did Lego make Lego guns?
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2009, 04:50:23 PM »
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

doczinn

• friend
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2009, 05:13:44 PM »
I don't really like guns right beside me
So call the cops, naturally.
D. R. ZINN

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2009, 05:24:24 PM »
  "I don't really like guns right beside me

so he calls the cops? or are those things on their hips magic non-guns?  ;/
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2009, 06:48:36 PM »
Anyone click on the link?  The trigger goes "click" and you can pull back the slide.  If at a distance I saw a coworker with it I might draw the same conclusion.

OTOH, a LEGO pegged slide would be even better for accessories than a Picatinny, doncha think?   :lol:
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2009, 12:53:03 PM »
I had a similar incident when I was renting a house, only it was handled appropriately.

I was cleaning guns in my kitchen.  Apparently one of my neighbors kids saw, and freaked out to his mom, who then freaked out to the police

They came to my door, and the discussion, completely one sided went like this:

"Sorry sir, one of your neighbors was panicked that you were cleaning your weapons in your kitchen.  Policy says I need to contact you, so since I just did, I'll go talk to your neighbor and let her know why you did nothing wrong, and were completely legal.  Have a nice day and I'm sorry to bother you."

יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2009, 03:11:40 PM »
Anyone click on the link?  The trigger goes "click" and you can pull back the slide.  If at a distance I saw a coworker with it I might draw the same conclusion.

OTOH, a LEGO pegged slide would be even better for accessories than a Picatinny, doncha think?   :lol:

draw the same conclusion? yeah, sure. but you would have gone over to oogle it, not call the cops.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2009, 11:09:02 PM »
That would depend on the co-worker!
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

mgdavis

• friend
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2009, 11:46:22 PM »
My favorite part of this whole debacle is that the company making the Lego guns is getting a ton of free publicity right before Christmas.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2009, 06:57:30 PM »

Yeah, but he saw this through a window, so he wouldn't of been able to hear the click. And he was putting it together from lego pieces, I don't know of any gun you put together from little bricks.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2009, 09:08:43 AM »
but, i saw that movie where the sniper put his gun together from all those little pieces in his briefcase >:D

man where is this rock going? [tinfoil]