Author Topic: Internet courtesy question  (Read 5117 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Internet courtesy question
« on: December 06, 2009, 12:44:32 AM »
I'm a moderator on a couple of forums, and a participant on several others. In my role as moderator, I am seeing an "uptick" in the number and frequency of posts in which someone opens up a new topic in a pretty clearly inappropriate sub-area of a forum site, and opens the post with something like "I hope this is the right place. If not, mods feel free to move." Or, even better, "I know this probably belongs under ___, but I decided to post it here anyway because I figured more people would see it."

So a moderator does what a moderator is supposed to do, and moderates the post -- moving it to where it should have been placed from the outset. A PM may or may not be sent to the person asking that, in the future, they be more careful where they post. And, with or without the PM, the result is usually a vituperative complaint about heavy-handed, egotistical moderators who "need to get a life."

What is it about the Internet that has created an entire class of users who seem to believe that rules don't apply to them, and that moderators who are only doing what they're supposed to do are "Nazis" who are unfairly targeting those who post inappropriately just to satisfy their egos? If someone is genuinely unsure where on a site something should be posted, wouldn't it be logical to ask before posting, rather than just throw it up there and expect the moderators to clean up after you?

Am I just singularly "blessed" with the forums I currently moderate, or is this a growing problem all across the web?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Internet courtesy question
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2009, 01:04:20 AM »
Am I just singularly "blessed" with the forums I currently moderate, or is this a growing problem all across the web?

You are a nazi, and should get a life already. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

zombienerd

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2009, 01:43:01 AM »
Meh.. I see it everywhere...

I moderate a few boards myself, and it's run amok on some of them to the point of removing specialized forums in favor one one "general" meeting place.

Shoutboxes can remove those kind of posts by allowing the "I NEED ANSWERS NOW1!!!111" people a place to ask that will be seen by everyone right away, and rightfully ignored from there.

Oh yeah, and some various Hitler reference.. that is a forum necessity :D

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2009, 03:34:57 AM »
I moderate.  I do not move; I delete.

Moving posts only serves to encourage the behavior of not thinking about appropriate places to post.
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2009, 04:33:57 AM »
What is it about the Internet that has created an entire class of users who seem to believe that rules don't apply to them...

Sorry, but representatives of the Democratic (sic) party have been around a lot longer than the internet, (which isn't now, never has been, nor ever will be a proper noun.)
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2009, 05:23:27 AM »
I so want to move this thread to another forum.....

=D
One day at a time.

Chrissy

• MySpace page
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2009, 07:08:49 AM »
Over the years I have been on many forums - as both Administrator and regular poster.  I think a lot of the griping has to do with frustration that people can't vent.  Part of posting in forums includes having a difference of opinion - arguing out, etc.  That's just human nature.  And when opinions are squelched, posters get frustrated. 

The forums I've been on that I've seen work best are the ones that have a section where people can argue things out taking it off the main board.  People argue - it's a fact.  All the boards I've owned I allow them to do this in a separate section.  If I see the two people are arguing their points intelligently, I allow them to go at it.  Why not?  If it's off the main board, who cares?  That way those that want to read it and follow along can, but those that don't can just ignore it.  That way people get their frustrations out, get to make their points, usually keep topics in the proper forums, etc.  My boards have worked great with that philosophy.  Of course if there ends up being flat out name calling and nobody is making valid points to argue their side, I will comment and give warnings, etc., but I dont' squelch people who want to make a point.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2009, 08:13:55 AM »
IBTL...... :laugh:
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

brimic

• friends
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2009, 09:08:17 AM »
What is it about the Internet that has created an entire class of users who seem to believe that rules don't apply to them, and that moderators who are only doing what they're supposed to do are "Nazis" who are unfairly targeting those who post inappropriately just to satisfy their egos? If someone is genuinely unsure where on a site something should be posted, wouldn't it be logical to ask before posting, rather than just throw it up there and expect the moderators to clean up after you?

It seems that alot of people have an entitlement mentality- they do something incorrect on a forum, Moderator corrects the issue, poster gets offended. I always keep in mind that I'm a 'guest' of someone else's forum and try to act accordingly most of the time and don't get offended if I get 'corrected.' 
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2009, 09:24:46 AM »
It's hard to draw conclusions about people based upon their behavior on the internet. Or maybe their behavior on the internet reflects what they would be like if there were no social constraints in the real world.

Most of us have been on this forum and/or THR for years, yet most of us really don't know each other. Few of us have met more than one or two other members in person, and some have never met any in person at all. There's no downside then for some to be rude, childish, boorish, selfish or any other "ish" you might name. Becoming persona non grata on a forum isn't the same as doing so in your neighborhood.

It's weird if you think about it for even a minute. We take this very seriously, but these online societies are are almost surreal.

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2009, 10:00:30 AM »

What is it about the Internet that has created an entire class of users who seem to believe that rules don't apply to them

Nailed it there.  It's a cultural thing.

The current generation seems to be infected with it worst than most.  Think ; "The rules don't apply to ME, because I'm special"   =|

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2009, 10:18:40 AM »

The current generation seems to be infected with it worst than most.  Think ; "The rules don't apply to ME, because I'm special"   =|
And the parents are to blame, what with many of them insisting that their speshull snowflayck can't do anything wrong, ever, and that the rest of the world ought to fall down and worship at their feet.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2009, 10:19:39 AM »
FEEL MORE ENERGIZED IN THE MORNING!!!!!!
LOSE 30LBS AND IMPROVE YOUR COMPLEXION IN JUST ONE WEEK!!!!! GUARANTEED!!!!!!!!!!!!
REVERSE HAIRLOSS!!!! GROW THICK NEW HAIR* !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.bensmiracleremedies.com.net.uk.us

*on your back and shoulders
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2009, 10:47:53 AM »

You do realize that all people, in all generations, since at least the dawn of time, have decried to erosion of courtesy and good manners in youth, right?

I'm not sure what generation other than the current one one can compare the current generation internet manners to. 

And yeah, I vote for deleting.  A couple of the mommy boards have a formalized three-strike system for offenses like that.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2009, 10:59:46 AM »
I'm not sure what generation other than the current one one can compare the current generation internet manners to. 

:laugh:
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2009, 04:41:53 PM »

But I am "special" and I have a certificate that states internet rules don't apply to me to prove it.....

=D
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

taurusowner

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2009, 04:51:02 PM »
I used to moderate some music forums, and I would run into this as well.  My plan was always to move the topic after a day or so.  If the person is well meaning and is asking a legit question, they are probably really looking for some real answers from other members.  And we all know that sometimes forums can have so many sub-forums that posting anywhere but one of the main boards can doom a thread to obscurity.  A lot of people just don't read the minor sub-forums If someone really needs answers, I let them leave their question where the most people will read it.  If the thread catches on and starts some discussion, then I move it and let the people who want to continue the discussion go to the appropriate board from there.  As one who has posted some questions myself, and done it in the smaller sub-forums, I know how much it sucks to really need an answer about something only to check and see your thread has 0 replies and only got read a handful of times.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2009, 05:20:33 PM »
You do realize that all people, in all generations, since at least the dawn of time, have decried to erosion of courtesy and good manners in youth, right?

And yeah, I vote for deleting.  A couple of the mommy boards have a formalized three-strike system for offenses like that.

thread drift a bit...

whenever someone points out 'oh these kids today are so much worse.." my mom likes pointing out that her grandparents and great aunts and uncles used to do some pretty rotten crap. they were infamous for taking the buggys out drag racing and once destroyed the family's silver serving platter by using in for 'buggy surfing' (think skateboarder holding onto a rope attatched to a car bumper, replace skaterboard with serving platter and car with horsedrawn buggy)

=D

in other words the youth has always done stupid stuff and always will do stupid stuff. they'll just come up with diffrent ways to do the same stuff.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2009, 05:22:16 PM »
I've moderated and owned a couple of small forums in the past and know the feeling all to well.

In short if it was a legit mistake or understandable that it was in the wrong forum, then moved with a friendly reminder. Constant repeat offenders got a stern message with a final warning and post deleted. Those who otherwise knew it was the completely inappropriate forum but put it in the busiest forum went immediately to that final step. The only exception was a General forum, on a case by case basis those were or were not moved, based mostly on how busy the General forum was and the specific post content.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2009, 06:25:40 PM »
But I am "special" and I have a certificate that states internet rules don't apply to me to prove it.....

=D

Special like... Rides the little bus?   :P

zahc

• friend
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2009, 10:02:56 AM »
In a situation like that I would just baleet. Not move, which only encourages the behavior.

One of the cycling forums I go to has a "hate forum". Flaming is allowed and encouraged in the hate forum. Of course you don't have to ever go to the hate forum so it's a nice little sandbox.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2009, 03:42:28 PM »
The only comparison I can make is one forum I visit that has 347 subforum.....or it seems to have that many.  Thankfully, it has an "active threads" button so I don't have to surf each forum.  I never start threads at that place.

IMO, it is stupid to bitch because a mod moved your post.  Send them a link to the book "Who Moved My Cheese".  Most people have filter between their brain and their mouth.  They should have the same filter for posting.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2009, 03:55:27 PM »
I think Hawkmoon just has to remove the armband, put away his copy of Mein Campf, set the Cheetos aside, climb up out of his parents' basement, and actually go interact with a real human female... >:D

Did I hit ALL the points that get thrown at mods for doing their jobs, or did I miss a couple?

Yes, I've held a mod position before, on a religious forum. Only ever had a couple trouble makers, who were connected. But I caught all of the above, and more...
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2009, 04:02:40 PM »
What is this "courtesy" of which you speak?

Must be one of those German terms you use before rounding up innocent forum members to be put in the FEMA-Obama-NSA death camps you're secretly in charge of. [tinfoil]
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2009, 07:45:56 PM »
What is this "courtesy" of which you speak?

Must be one of those German terms you use before rounding up innocent forum members to be put in the FEMA-Obama-NSA death camps you're secretly in charge of. [tinfoil]

I am not in charge. I am only followink orders. I know nussink.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design