Author Topic: Home Network NAS  (Read 1533 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Home Network NAS
« on: December 11, 2009, 11:11:37 AM »
I've got 3 computers that intermittently back up to one another... but I'd like to just get a NAS and have everything back up to it. 

Looking for something that is low power consumption, physically hardwired w/ Gigabit interface, and inexpensive.

Suggestions?
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
Re: Home Network NAS
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2009, 11:23:16 AM »
Count me in too. I'd like suggestions.

I'm thinking Linux or Microsoft home server, going cheap as possible on the components except for the drives and a RAID controller might be the most cost effective, but time and effort are factors. something OTS and turnkey would be nice.
I promise not to duck.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2009, 11:25:31 AM »
I didn't find anything like that back when I was looking.  The inexpensive ones had networking issues.  My suggestion, get an Intel Atom based mini-pc, stuff a ginormous HDD in it, install Linux configured for only SSH and SAMBA, and let that be your NAS.  With SSH, you can use SCP to move files from non Windows systems, SAMBA makes it look like a Windows server with shares (not as secure as SCP though).  It'll probably be cheaper and work better than a dedicated NAS.  You can even set up port forwarding on your broadband router to allow access from outside (SCP only for obvious reasons).

Chris

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2009, 11:27:35 AM »
I'm thinking Linux or Microsoft home server, going cheap as possible on the components except for the drives and a RAID controller might be the most cost effective, but time and effort are factors.

Good suggestion on RAID.  When I built mine, I was using an old Mac Cube, so internal RAID wasn't an option.  I went with an external firewire drive as my main storage drive (no storage on system drive).

Chris

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2009, 12:10:50 PM »
I've gone the Windows Home Server route for the multiple PCs in my home.  I am quite satisfied with it.  It allows for complete image backups of connected PCs.  I've rebuilt three connected PCs so far, two because I had to, one as an exercise, and it went flawlessly each time.  It's a fast process, too.
WHS allows you to connect up to ten PCs, and I have eight(?) on it right now.  We don't leave it on 24/7; rather we turn it on only when we wish to back up a client.  That may change later next year when I build a HTPC and start serving video from it.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 12:14:57 PM by RocketMan »
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2009, 12:38:35 PM »
I have a Buffalo link station that is serviceable
new model:
http://www.buffalotech.com/products/network-storage/linkstation/linkstation-live-ls-chl/

For serious work a raid drobo is hard to beat
http://www.drobo.com/
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2009, 12:42:15 PM »
I use Netgear NAS for small storage groups at work.

Easy to use!!!
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2009, 01:45:57 PM »
I might have a SnapServer 1100 surplus here real soon...

(Don't get much smaller than that)
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2009, 02:09:27 PM »
I have a 500GB Iomega NAS.  Works great.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2009, 02:48:29 PM »
I might have a SnapServer 1100 surplus here real soon...

(Don't get much smaller than that)

All the branch offices were run from SnapServer's when I did a brief stint in Northwestern Mutual's IT dept. They worked pretty well. Unless they've got multi-drive units though, I don't think I want a single-drive NAS. Might as well just buy another external USB HDD and save my money. After having two HDD's die the same day out of five functional PC's in the house, and those two HDD's having critical photos and video on them, I now strongly feel the need for at least mirroring, if not actual RAID 5.

The nice thing though is if you're too lazy to wire your house with Cat5e, signing up with AT&T U-Verse will get that done for you for free.  =D

I still lament the fact that backup tech has not kept up with drive technology. Unless you want to get into ungodly expensive exotic and semi-proprietary optical disk/tape technologies, there is nothing that can keep up with 1TB/$100 HDD's, except for just juggling those same HDD's in a RAID and praying that no more than one fails at a time.  =(
I promise not to duck.