Author Topic: DVD's and muffled voices  (Read 12151 times)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
DVD's and muffled voices
« on: December 11, 2009, 12:51:13 PM »
Every so often I rent a DVD that has a muffled voice track. Last night it was "Public Enemies." I turned the volume all the way up on the TV and still couldn't understand what they were saying. Finally I took my Skype headphones and plugged them in. That worked.

There's no sound adjustment on the TV or the DVD player. I'm sure there's nothing to be done, other than headphones, right?

mtnbkr

• friend
Re: DVD's and muffled voices
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2009, 12:55:22 PM »
I haven't found a solution other than to turn closed captioning on.  Then again, with a noisy house (kids), I use CC almost all the time.

Chris

zombienerd

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2009, 01:06:11 PM »
Sounds to me like you're in the wrong output mode..

Try turning off surround sound features.

Muffled voices are heard from the rear speakers, not the front.

JonnyB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2009, 03:09:16 PM »
I recently had that same thing happen. Rented two DVDs: "Gran Torino" and "Taken". The audio on GT was so bad that the TV volume was at max in order to hear it (normal living room space). "Taken" was clear and loud, so we had to turn the volume down to its 'normal' setting.

I've experienced that with other DVDs in the past but can't 'splain it.

jb
Jon has a long mustache. No, really; he does. Look at that thing!

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2009, 03:22:16 PM »

:D

Sorry, but I have to chuckle. I watch a 14" TV with two tiny speakers on the front. I have better sound on my computer.

Just out of curiosity, I'm going to rent the movie again and see if the sound is different.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2009, 04:24:46 PM »
Sounds to me like you're in the wrong output mode..

Try turning off surround sound features.

This.

Everytime I have problems with audio on a DVD, it's because the DVD was set up for 5.1 surround or something like that and all I have are the stereo speakers on my TV.  Usually, going to the audio options and changing it to stereo will work (if they have that option - some annoyingly don't).
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Iain

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2009, 05:37:49 PM »
On 5.1 surround systems speech usually comes mostly out of the centre speaker. As you're lacking a centre speaker it seems muffled or distant. I think most dvds come with a stereo sound option.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

HankB

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2009, 06:37:22 PM »
In principle, the dialog should be primarily on the center channel track; a good home theatre decoder and separate speakers will generally let dialog be heard properly. Sometimes in the name of "art" they have background music/sound effect cranked up too loud - and this swamps the center track even if you have a good surround system. (This is well known, and at least some DVD player manufacturers have a mode that automatically increases center channel volume by 3 dB - so it's common enough that manufacturers are including compensations in their hardware!)

When they mix the standard audio track, they should make proper allowance for viewers without a home theatre setup, but I've noticed that many times, they don't . . . they've gotten lazy or careless in manufacturing the DVD.

This also applies to TV shows ("NCIS" is an example) where, if you're watching it on a standard or 2-channel stereo TV, the dialog is sometimes swamped by "background" music or effects.

About a month or so back, the TV critic in the local rag mentioned this was one of his pet peeves, and in a follow-up a few weeks later, said that judging by his mail, it was a peeve of many who'd read his column, too.

So you're not alone in noticing this.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2009, 07:01:15 PM »
Since both Ms. MillCreek and I have significant hearing losses, closed captioning is our friend.  We have noticed this on some Netflix discs, and turning off any sound surround seems to help.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2009, 07:57:43 PM »
How do you have the player hooked up?  Sounds like you're trying to play a Dolby 5.1 track in a player that will only decode 2.0 stereo.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

zahc

• friend
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2009, 09:50:05 PM »
Yeah, it really sounds like the dvd is trying to play the dialog out of a center channel speaker that doesn't exist. Or your dvd player is doing a bad job of downmixing the surround track to stereo. It really annoys me that all dvds are mastered for surround sound and don't include a "I have crap equipment" option that has sensibly compressed, stereo sound. Living in an apartment, even the "DR COMP" setting on my surround decoder isn't enough to lift the dialog without rattling the windows when there is an explosion or something. It's the exact opposite problem from modern CDs.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2009, 10:50:35 PM »
I have dozens and dozens of DVD's, and this has only happened with a handful.

I rented another copy of the same movie tonight, and the dialogue was fine. Go figure.

Also, there was no way of adjusting any sound in the DVD menu.

jackdanson

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2009, 10:57:28 PM »
I loathe movies that play the voices quiet, but crank it up when there are explosions/etc.  I have a decent 5.1 setup and it seems that more and more movies are doing this.

Cromlech

• friend
  • English bloke
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2009, 06:14:47 AM »
I know exactly what you mean. In the past I have had to play with the volume all the time in order to not shake the place to bits or deafen myself.
When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

HankB

• friend
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2009, 10:26:22 AM »
Had another thought . . . when you start the DVD, the first menu often has a choice labeled "options" or "setup" . . . instead of just hitting "play" scroll down to the "options" menu and see whether or not they have a choice for standard stereo as well as Dolby 5.1; maybe that will solve the problem.

I loathe movies that play the voices quiet, but crank it up when there are explosions/etc.  I have a decent 5.1 setup and it seems that more and more movies are doing this.
Agree.

I recently purchased a new TV for the MBR - no home theater or surround setup in there. The TV itself has a feature called "Sound Leveler" that helps keep commercials/explosions/etc. from knocking a viewer out of bed by limiting the boost in volume. It's not perfect by any means . . . but it helps. (Again, it's a case of a hardware manufacturer identifying a problem created by the content provider, and trying to fix it with hardware.)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2009, 12:36:26 PM »

That's the downside to digital sound - extremely wide dynamic range.  With analog recording, dynamic range is, say 15 or 20 dB from the softest to loudest sound.  With digital the dynamic range is, for all intents and purposes, limited only by the stereo equipment used to reproduce it.

Back to the OP...

How is the player hooked to the TV?  Are you using component (Pb/Pr/Y), composite (video and audio R/L), or coax (tune to channel 3/4)? If you get proper sound through the headphones then the player is decoding the track like it should, but the TV isn't getting the message somehow.  I suspect it may be a simple cabling issue. 

Brad
« Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 12:51:41 PM by Brad Johnson »
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2009, 02:46:11 PM »
Brad, it's video and audio. As I said, changing DVD's did the trick. I'll keep this one.

There was no option for sound on the DVD menu. I clicked what I thought was a sound option, but it was closed captioning. At first I couldn't figure out why a narrator was describing every scene.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2009, 03:44:17 PM »
This is why I just gave up and got a set of wireless headphones.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2009, 04:58:11 PM »
Brad, it's video and audio. As I said, changing DVD's did the trick. I'll keep this one.

There was no option for sound on the DVD menu. I clicked what I thought was a sound option, but it was closed captioning. At first I couldn't figure out why a narrator was describing every scene.

Go to your DVD player setup menu.  Sounds like the output mode is set incorrectly.

As for the narrator decribing the scene, that's a new CC variant for the visually impaired.

Brad
-HankB

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2009, 05:48:35 PM »
As for the narrator decribing the scene, that's a new CC variant for the visually impaired.

I know, Brad. That's why I said "closed captioning" in the sentence.   :P

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2009, 11:24:07 AM »
I've always wondered why they called it "closed" captioning.  It's just captioning.  You turn it on, you turn it off. You read it or you don't.  Doesn't make any sense.  *shrug*

Brad
-HankB

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2009, 05:18:18 PM »
just captioning would imply it was burned into the frame, something that makes me leave a dvd(or BR) on the shelf [popcorn] the closed means you can choose to see it or not =)

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2009, 10:52:30 AM »
It has been mentioned that many DVD's have sound options, which you can manually change for best performance on your system. I'd add that the same is often true for newer TV's as well, especially the LCD's. On such, you can use the remote to adjust the sound settings to a remarkable degree of control. For example, mine allows me to reconfigure the digital filtering of the incoming sound signal to boost human speech over other frequencies.

So, the bottom line is to learn what your DVD and TV allow you to change, and use it for best performance.

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2009, 11:41:06 AM »
Sometimes the options for the sound are listed under "Language" where you may find something like:
  • Engish 5.1
  • English Stereo
  • French 5.1
  • French Stereo

On surround sound systems, dialogue does come from the center channel.  I have personally observed this exact problem when watching a movie in college and the wires had come off the center channel speaker.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2009, 12:24:53 PM »
Bless you good folks for bringing this thing to my attention.  For the last three years I have been convinced I was going deaf, or deef, for you older folks.  I can lay in bed and hear a clock ticking on the other side of the house, but have so much trouble watching new release movies that I frequently just say to hell with it and go do some work around the house.  My wife is convinced I have "spouse deafness", because I constantly say "Huh, what did you say?" when she is in the other room running the sewing machine, vacuum cleaner or watching the movie I can't hear.

Go figure! ;/