Author Topic: beezid.com - Interesting business model  (Read 6016 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
beezid.com - Interesting business model
« on: December 14, 2009, 03:43:21 PM »
I saw a commercial for beezid.com this morning.  If you haven't seen the ad or aren't familiar with the site, it's online auctions site advertising HUGE discounts (like $2000 tv's for $100).  It intrigued me enough that I did some digging.  Turns out they have an elegantly simple, and potentially highly profitable, business model.

It works like this...

You sign up to be a member at no cost.

You buy bids (example, a 50-pack of bids for $40.  A 200-pack for $120) Some auctions are for additional bid packs.

You bid on products (auctions begin at one penny and increase at a penny per bid)

Most of the auctions have a time-to-end counter.  The trick is these also have a reset on them if a certain number of bids come in during a set period of time, meaning the time will count down to zero unless a certain number of bids comes in within the final countdown reset period.  If the reset limit is triggered, the time goes back to the reset period. (example, the auction is a "20 second" auction.  If a certain number of bids come in within the final 20 seconds, the auction countdown timer resets to a full 20 seconds.)

The products all seem to be name-brand top shelf items.

When you think about it for a bit, it's a devilishly simple way to make a ton of money.

Scenario:
The offered product is a widescreen TV, MSRP $1000.  Someone wins it on the auction for $100, having spent $100 to buy bids. Total of $200 for a $1000 TV. Whoopee, they got a bargain!  Word gets around and everyone is clamoring to join, meaning more and more people buying bids so they can get in on the action.

Now consider this...  There were enough bids to get the sold price to $100.  The bidding began at one penny and increased at the rate of one penny per bid.  That's ten thousand bids.  Including the promo giveaways and different bid pack prices, I figure they're averaging somewhere between fifty and seventy cents per bid in realized net income.  That's between five and seven grand in revenue for a TV that cost them probably $750.  Now THAT's a return!

Damn.  Wish I'da thunk of it.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Racehorse

• friend
Re: beezid.com - Interesting business model
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2009, 05:19:31 PM »
Isn't that basically just a small scale lottery/raffle? Doesn't really seem like a new idea. Just a new way of implementing a lottery.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2009, 05:31:53 PM »
Not really.  With a lottery there are usually a single prize and a set number of possible outcomes.  This seems to be a true bidding auction, only you have to buy bid opportunities.  In other words, if you buy a 50-pack of bids you can bid fifty times, any item or combination of items, up to the number of bids you've purchased.

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2009, 05:39:32 PM »
Am I evil if I thought it would be a good idea to bid then immediately launch a DoS attack on their site until the auction expired? >:D

ETA:  Mac OS X "Snow Leopard" has a bid for a penny.  No one is fighting for it. :lol:
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 05:42:47 PM by AZRedhawk44 »
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2009, 05:42:37 PM »
Am I evil if I thought it would be a good idea to bid then immediately launch a DoS attack on their site until the auction expired? >:D

Nope, it's about the first thing I thought of too.

Get a server on the same telco that services their site, and set up an autobidder.  After bidding, DDOS from hacked zombie computers.  If another bid gets through, have the autobidder take care of it.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2009, 08:14:47 PM »

ETA:  Mac OS X "Snow Leopard" has a bid for a penny.  No one is fighting for it. :lol:

Not auction, singular.  AuctionS, plural.  There were probably a dozen or so running when I went to their page.

Brad
-HankB

InfidelSerf

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2009, 01:14:19 AM »
intriguing concept.. have you signed up and tried it? 
Come on Brad be our guinea pig.
I'd ask fistful to do it.. but I'm not sure a goat can be a pig.
The hour is fast approaching,on which the Honor&Success of this army,and the safety of our bleeding Country depend.Remember~Soldiers,that you are Freemen,fighting for the blessings of Liberty-that slavery will be your portion,and that of your posterity,if you do not acquit yourselves like men.GW8/76

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2009, 01:23:23 AM »
I'd ask fistful to do it.. but I'm not sure a goat can be a pig.

That... and, well... he's fistful.

He'd probably screw it up.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!