Author Topic: Rocket Launches  (Read 1050 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Rocket Launches
« on: December 15, 2009, 10:02:17 AM »
Back when they built the space shuttle launch facilities in Cape Canaveral they also built a launch facility somewhere out in California.

It has yet to put a space shuttle up, but I believe the Air Force has used it for unmanned satellite insertions.

Whenever the shuttle goes up, it seems to arch out to the east over the ocean.  I always thought that was a courtesy and safety gesture that NASA made to the residents of Florida, but it seems that one of the reasons that NASA hasn't used the California launch facility is because they don't want to fly over the mainland US during launch.

From a rocketry/ballistic perspective, why would you want to launch a rocket to the east?  Do orbits have to be established in the direction of planetary rotation?

And, if that's the case, why would the FAA or NASA allow for a private spaceport in Nevada or California or New Mexico if NASA won't launch from the western half of the continent?
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Rocket Launches
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2009, 10:23:48 AM »
Back when they built the space shuttle launch facilities in Cape Canaveral they also built a launch facility somewhere out in California.

It has yet to put a space shuttle up, but I believe the Air Force has used it for unmanned satellite insertions.

From a rocketry/ballistic perspective, why would you want to launch a rocket to the east?  Do orbits have to be established in the direction of planetary rotation?

That's Vandenberg AFB. They do spacelifts out of there all the time and they all head over the ocean. It's also an alternate landing facility for the shuttle. Kinda fun landing there in a little fixed wing and only using 0.00005% of the runway. :)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2009, 10:40:23 AM »
I thought (and I am not a rocket scientist) that they went east because the added velocity of the earth's rotation to the crafts, meaning less fuel is used to reach escape velocity.  They can launch west, it just requires more Delta V, and thus more fuel.  This is the same reason that launch facilities want to ba as close to the equator as possible, more velocity then the higher latitudes.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2009, 11:39:35 AM »
Vandenberg AFB is one.  They'll do ICBM test flights out of there, too.  Those will head out into the Pacific near Kwajalein, where all the range rats sit and collect the data.  Did you know there's a Macy's West at Kwajalein? ;)

(Miss snorkeling for Japanese WWII relics off of Kwaj, myself)
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2009, 08:54:17 PM »
They also do a lot of polar orbital stuff out of Vandenberg if I am not mistaken.  The shuttle launch facility at Vandenberg was mothballed years ago when the AF backed away from the program for reasons I have forgotten.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2009, 09:37:10 PM »
They also do a lot of polar orbital stuff out of Vandenberg if I am not mistaken.  The shuttle launch facility at Vandenberg was mothballed years ago when the AF backed away from the program for reasons I have forgotten.

Yes. It was my understanding that Vandenberg was to be for military shuttle missions in polar orbits.

And launching east with the Earth's rotation (also as close to the equator as possible) also confers a very significant launch cost savings due to the extra velocity to orbit/escape velocity imparted by the earth's spin.

Launching on polar or merely high-inclination orbits to cover all of the earth with a satellite (spysats, land mappers etc.) does not benefit as much or at all, depending, from the rotation boost.
I promise not to duck.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2009, 12:41:06 AM »
Kinda fun landing there in a little fixed wing and only using 0.00005% of the runway.

We used to bounce (train) down there all the time when I was in P3's. We could do a full stop landing, then do an aborted take off and still have enough runway to take off on. We got a lot of work done in a short time.

bob

HankB

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2009, 04:10:37 PM »
I believe the main purpose was to divert NASA funds into a jobs program for local contractors - actually launching shuttles was irrelevant.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain