Author Topic: An air-cooled VW adventure thread.  (Read 10082 times)

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
Re: An air-cooled VW adventure thread.
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2010, 01:05:35 PM »
I had a '72 for 26 or so years...My Uncle Stuart, who was killed a few years ago gave me his VW Bug when I was 12 as a Bar Mitzvah present. 

Great story...I would fill it out a little and publish it.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2010, 01:08:49 PM »
The John Muir book is still/again available.  It's hard to recommend it enough.

I've still got my copy.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2010, 04:12:09 PM »
lost the accelerator cable on the ghia  rigged some 50 pound test to the drivers side window with a piece of wood on the end to hold. to "go " you move hand forward in the classic wagonmaster "move em out motion. the 59 bug i was owned by had rod linkage for brakes and the clutch cable had apparently broken once  i found a pair of vice grips clamped on the frayed ends to holds em together,  afdter i drove it 5000 miles
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2010, 05:14:46 PM »
CSD, I lost my accel cable once too.  It broke right at the end, so I was able to bend it into a hook and tie a piece of 14g wire to it and the throttle arm to limp home (couldn't get above 45mph).

I keep forgetting about these little things until someone else mentions them. :)

Chris

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2010, 05:50:59 PM »
I have owned two in my lifetime.

First one I bought from a high school friend after graduation for $125 and put $100 worth of tires on it.  Drove it to college and it was driven hard during football season.  I would drive home to watch my old high school play but would have to be back at college by 10 pm on Friday nights for football "meetings."  Acutally jsut making sure we were still alive.  Sold it sometime during the first semester for $150, I think, after ripping the front fender off and other issues with it.  Guy that bought it wanted the motor.

Second one bought a couple of years later and after blowing the motor on it, it was sold for the body.

The second actually had a few miles on it also.

Actually thinking of getting another one if I can find a good one for the right price.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

• friends
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2010, 06:04:33 PM »
swapped motors outside york pa in the middle of the night under the watchful eye of a pa trooper. he was skeptical then amused. what kinda guy drives to pa with spare motor in van?  same kinda guy who has 2 civil dense radiation measuring devices in his shtf closet
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2010, 09:37:42 PM »
When my accelerator cable failed,
it shredded into a birdnest inside the tube thru the fan housing

While assaulting the Allegheny plateau, I had noticed the pedal was sticking on releasing the accelerator

On my last major mountain climb, it stuck fully depressed.
This was quite interesting as i crested the hill and tried to down shift.
As soon as the clutch was depressed, the RPMs went to 11.

I pulled over and routed a pull cord accelerator lashed off on the OMG bar on the dash.
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

ksnecktieman

« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2010, 10:31:23 PM »
I am an old man that used to be a vw mechanic. I liked them and drove them for a long time.

Too bad no one ever talked about the heaters, and how to fix them. Before they were all old and rusted out they would work,,, IF you crack a window open. Remember how pleased you were that it was air tight? The heater pulled air past the exhaust, and blew it into the passenger compartment. If it could not get out, it could not get in. Warning. the front floor vents would melt a set of rubber galoshes on the highway.

Lots of happy memories.

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2010, 11:17:09 PM »
Warning. the front floor vents would melt a set of rubber galoshes on the highway.

I remember driving, with an apple down by one of the heater outlets.  When we stopped a couple hours down the road, the apple was baked pretty good.

IF you crack a window open. Remember how pleased you were that it was air tight?

The floorpan rot on ours would have taken care of that.  It was bad enough that I eventually removed the passenger's side front seat on that account. 

• friends
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2010, 11:24:30 PM »
my van the pipe that carried the hot air from engine compartment to front rotted away completely  just the insulation jacket left.  i replaced it with some galvanized and got heat again  could stop scraping inside of windshield.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2010, 05:55:34 AM »
  Too bad no one ever talked about the heaters, and how to fix them. Before they were all old and rusted out they would work,,, IF you crack a window open. Remember how pleased you were that it was air tight? The heater pulled air past the exhaust, and blew it into the passenger compartment. If it could not get out, it could not get in. Warning. the front floor vents would melt a set of rubber galoshes on the highway.

QFT.

I replaced the heater boxes in mine when I replaced the muffler.  The heat was amazing.  Even the defroster worked.  The biggest problem was the engine RPM dependent airflow.  Going down the highway, it was too warm, but in stop and go traffic, it could get chilly.

Chris

grey54956

« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2010, 08:12:47 AM »
Actually, I am starting my air-cooled adventure in a week or two.
"There are no carefully crafted arguments here, just a sausage-chain of emotional crotch-grabs." - Longeyes

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye and see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain." -- Frank Herbert, Dune

griz

• friend
« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2010, 09:26:36 AM »
I had forgotten about the windshield washer.  It ran off of air pressure from the spare tire, so you could pump it up enough to wash the roof.  What a quirky little car.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2010, 09:31:37 AM »
It ran off of air pressure from the spare tire,

Not even to forget the attention you had to pay to tire pressure.  Different pressures on front and rear, because handling was adversely affected.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2010, 12:02:19 PM »
I rigged a manual choke on the thing
I ran it to the panel between the rear seats
but instead of a pull cable, i rigged it to a bicycle thumbshifter ratchet
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

• friends
« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2010, 12:05:53 PM »
after my first engine fire i rigged onboard fire suppression.  the cops got a kick outa that  but it worked

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2010, 02:40:46 PM »
My first new car, a 66 bug.  After the Vietnam thingie, I drove it to the UP of MI and after two winters, it started to rust so I sold it.  It was the only car my Dad would sign the loan for because it was slow and did not have a back seat large enough to do anything in.....chris3

Sawdust

• friend
« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2010, 02:46:43 PM »
I had a squareback for a while.

Every *real* surfer in Santa Barbara had a squareback.

Or a '61 Impala with surf racks.

Gnarly, dude.

Sawdust
Retain what's coming in; send off what is retreating.

Well, you going to pull those pistols boy,
or just whistle Dixie?

I'm your huckleberry.

Myself

• friend
« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2010, 03:13:39 PM »
Remember the old saying "If you took every car in America and lined them up bumper to bumper some fool in a VW would try to pass them"?  That was me in my '68 squareback.  1600 cc of fuel injected power!!  =D  I once got 22 cars in a row on a two lane road.

I also had a 62 bug.  Half the time it ran on 3 cyl.  It was a real fun trip taking a friend to school in Phila.  Had to get a serious rolling start for hills.  It had an electric heater on the inside of the front window that would kill the 6 Volt battery quickly.  I also drove to school with a cig. lighter on the window to thaw a spot to see thru.  I miss those cars.  Now I have heated seats and steering wheel for my old fat but.  Times sure have changed.