Author Topic: The Tattoos of Regret  (Read 17806 times)

MicroBalrog

• friend
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
Re: The Tattoos of Regret
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2010, 12:54:17 AM »
Could be worse.  Google "eyeball tattoo". 

Here's a hint.  It's not a tattoo depicting an eye.   
I think those are pretty cool actually. Looking like you've been hitting the melange for too long? Hell yeah! =D
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Viking

• friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2010, 12:57:26 AM »
So if I got a full back piece done in UV ink of this:
http://www.webalice.it/edoras/Porta%20di%20Moria.JPG

A) How much would it cost (more or less)
B) How long would it take
and
C) Would I regret it in over a decade?

I wish I could use the <sarcasm> tag, but I've seriously been thinking about this for some time.
The problems with UV ink (from what I've heard) is that those inks are even more sensitive to the sun than ordinary inks. Ordinary inks fade. UV inks can turn brownish and lose their UV ability. I like your idea though.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Cromlech

• friend
  • English bloke
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2010, 03:33:55 PM »
I actually really like that Chaos Warrior back tattoo. Not enough to get it permanently inked into my flesh, but I think it looks awesome.
When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

Viking

• friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2010, 04:00:02 PM »
I actually really like that Chaos Warrior back tattoo. Not enough to get it permanently inked into my flesh, but I think it looks awesome.
Yeah, the artwork is outstanding, but it would be interesting to see how well it ages.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2010, 04:58:31 PM »
Our receptionist found a pic online of some young lady with a huge tattoo across her side and belly.  All I could think of was, "ten years.  babies.  stretch marks.  That'll look real good."
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Viking

• friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2010, 05:13:19 PM »
Our receptionist found a pic online of some young lady with a huge tattoo across her side and belly.  All I could think of was, "ten years.  babies.  stretch marks.  That'll look real good."
I've seen pictures of a lady who've given birth to two kids. Big tattoos on her belly. They still look great. I'm not sure how the hell she did it, but she did.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2010, 05:44:47 PM »
Best pro tattoo argument I ever heard, if you're worried about how tattoos are going to look when you get old, you might as well kill yourself before you get old, cause you'll be ugly, wrinkled, stretched out and busted up with or without ink.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2010, 05:53:12 PM »
Best pro tattoo argument I ever heard, if you're worried about how tattoos are going to look when you get old, you might as well kill yourself before you get old, cause you'll be ugly, wrinkled, stretched out and busted up with or without ink.

Good point.  I only have a few tattoos, and by the time I'm old enough for them to look ridiculous, I won't care any more.  :laugh:

Racehorse

• friend
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2010, 07:16:09 PM »
The best anti tattoo argument for me is to look back at what I thought was cool 10 years ago.

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2010, 11:39:19 PM »
Which is why I tend to think a LONG time about what I want.

I have exactly one piece of flash, which we modified to fit into my right sleeve (which is turning into a long-term project). Funny thing is, my artist has never seen an Egyptian sleeve before... >:D

As for the OP: doesn't surprise in the least...
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2010, 11:52:30 PM »
The FBI database of tattoos is forever
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2010, 02:36:38 AM »

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2010, 08:55:52 AM »
I'm waiting to catch my first billfish.  Thats going in ink on my body for sure.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

thebaldguy

• friends
« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2010, 07:09:46 PM »
The best anti tattoo argument for me is to look back at what I thought was cool 10 years ago.

That is funny. My girlfriend's brother wanted to get a tattoo of Tweety bird flipping the middle finger years ago. He now says he's glad he didn't do it.

I remember watching guys getting inked in the military decades ago. It looked painful. I went back to the bar.

I see lots of of the young folks sporting tattoos. Some have more money in tattoos than in their savings.

I went to a dermatologist a while ago to have some moles removed. I noticed in the waiting room there were displays about tattoo removal. I asked if he had lots of business for removal, and he laughed.

He said removing tattoos are way more expensive than getting them.

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2010, 10:48:16 PM »
That is funny. My girlfriend's brother wanted to get a tattoo of Tweety bird flipping the middle finger years ago. He now says he's glad he didn't do it.
Odd... my brother recently got a tattoo of three Grim Reapers barbecuing chicken.

Not sure if the fact that he got it in The Netherlands makes any difference one way or the other...  :P
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2010, 11:08:51 PM »
Can tattoos be removed effectively?

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2010, 11:09:31 PM »
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2010, 11:13:27 PM »
I believe black is easiest, and yellow and blue are very very difficult to remove.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Viking

• friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #44 on: January 07, 2010, 12:45:48 AM »
I believe black is easiest, and yellow and blue are very very difficult to remove.
IIRC, blue is fairly easy as well, with yellow being the hardest. Red & green I don't know really.
I'd love to hear Viking's take on this.
Not for me, that's for sure. Then again, some people, like that vapid chick who got 56 stars tattooed over half of her face, doesn't think things through quite as much as they should ;/. I can see artists using this on first-time customers if they appear to be the type who might one day regret it. The worst would be if it became mandatory by law. Could see that happening as well...
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 01:04:24 AM by Viking »

Viking

• friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #45 on: January 07, 2010, 01:05:52 AM »
Can tattoos be removed effectively?
Depends on the quality of the ink, the quality of the tattoo itself, the age of the tattoo and other factors. I've seen some good results, but in many cases it's just a way to remove a tattoo enough to get it effectively covered up with something else.

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #46 on: January 07, 2010, 01:22:48 AM »
Depends on the quality of the ink, the quality of the tattoo itself, the age of the tattoo and other factors. I've seen some good results, but in many cases it's just a way to remove a tattoo enough to get it effectively covered up with something else.

Like a skin-colored tattoo?
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #47 on: January 07, 2010, 08:49:24 AM »
Our dermatologists at my clinic volunteer their time at our local prison for tattoo removal.  Most of the time, they can be removed to a degree with lasers.  It depends on the color and type of ink as to how much can be removed.  Essentially, the laser is vaporizing a small area of ink and some skin.  Each pulse of the laser feels like being snapped with a rubber band, hard.  Some tattoos can be completely eradicated while others just end up faded, due to the type of ink used. 

If you have to pay for it, it is charged by the square centimeter, and it is expensive and generally not covered by insurance.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

thebaldguy

• friends
« Reply #48 on: January 11, 2010, 08:58:46 PM »
Lasers are often used but I also think some tattoos are removed by dermabrasion. Think sanding off the skin.

Law enforcement use tattoos to ID gang members as well.

Years ago I worked in a questionable neighborhood. There were members of the Latin Kings who lived there that had their gang tattoos on the back of the hand between the thumb and first finger. This made it much easier for the police to find the gang members. Pretty funny.