Author Topic: After Armageddon on History Channel  (Read 12796 times)

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: After Armageddon on History Channel
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2010, 04:20:02 PM »
Seems to be a big theme right now....
The one one spike "surviving disaster" seems to be pretty good, and pretty realistic in the scenerios. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2010, 04:36:53 PM »
The one one spike "surviving disaster" seems to be pretty good, and pretty realistic in the scenerios. 
Gee, I wonder why? [tinfoil]
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2010, 05:18:18 PM »
The other thing we commented on was that with the demise of mechanized agriculture, a large part of every day is going to be spent tending the crops and food gathering/preparation.

It has actually crossed my mind to invest in draft horses.  They might be worth a lot after TEOTWAWKI  =|

But we don't have enough grass on our own land just to feed even our three riding mounts =(
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2010, 05:24:26 PM »

The latest Cheaper Than Dirt Catalog has "2012 survival kits" going for like $2000.  ;/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2010, 05:35:34 PM »
The latest Cheaper Than Dirt Catalog has "2012 survival kits" going for like $2000.  ;/

Paranoia and fear would have saved alot of lives in New Orleans a few years ago.... [tinfoil] 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2010, 06:36:16 PM »
Actually if they just listened to the "72 hour prepardeness" talk, which was being taught even back when I was in grade school.

That and maybe spending the equivalent of one month's satellite TV (from the sat dishes I saw in the news back then) on some family bugout bag supplies. Call me cruel, but there was no excuse for people to show up at that stadium without even a bottle of water in their hands. Heck, $15 will buy you a 12 pack of Campbell's soup and a 12 pack of liter water bottles at Costco (or Walmart or wherever). That's three days survival rations for a family of four.

Spending $2K on a month's supplies, for an event that's supposed to destroy the world, that I don't get. Plus I think I could put that together for half the price. I wonder if www.cheaperthanben.com is taken??  =D

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/BASIC30DAY-1.html
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

brimic

• friends
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2010, 06:38:39 PM »
Spending $2K on a month's supplies, for an event that's supposed to destroy the world, that I don't get

The money would be much better spent on booze and hookers right now.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2010, 06:43:20 PM »
The money would be much better spent on booze and hookers right now.

FTW!

JD

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2010, 08:13:43 PM »
There does seem to be a few more shows on talking about Armageddon and 2012 and all.  Wonder if it's gonna get like the hype of Y2K.

As for the what if's, for us, water won't be an issue.  Plenty of running streams, seeping springs as well as well water up at the farm.  Growing crops will not be an issue either because we have plenty of seed stored away.  We can hunt so meat will be ok.  The one thing that concerns me is medical items such as antibiotics and other minor medical necessities.  Might have to concentrate on those a bit.

Interesting how those shows along with ongoing events and the whisper of the end of the world because the Mayan ( ;/) calendar makes you think just a bit more.  Katrina kicked it in for me because I seen how folks reacted after just a day or two without basic needs. 

Good conversation folks, thanks.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2010, 08:31:29 PM »
this show is kind of entertaining, the nostradamus effect [popcorn]

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2010, 08:35:49 PM »
some herbs are very good for basic medicinal needs.  i've got a stockpile of some basic antibiotic stuff i got at pet smart in the fish section.
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2010, 08:42:31 PM »
Wait... 2400 for 30 days' food for 4? That's $600 apiece. No wonder people resort to cannibalism in these situations.

• friends
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2010, 08:59:44 PM »
Wait... 2400 for 30 days' food for 4? That's $600 apiece. No wonder people resort to cannibalism in these situations.

you eat the folks you don't like first  i like my neighbors so i keep chickens and goats
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2010, 09:46:11 PM »
I wonder how many survivalists know how to clean and cook a chicken?  Or bake a loaf of bread?

• friends
« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2010, 09:53:47 PM »
you mean without a bread machine?  better know how to do sourdough  before you run outa yeast

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2010, 09:59:23 PM »
HTG makes an excellent point: as in all aspects of American society, the majority just want to throw some money at [perceived problem] rather than take the time to work at actually solving it.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

• friends
« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2010, 10:07:35 PM »
its funny how folks look at you when you know how to do things like bake bread or that you raise hens . one of the reasons i want at least one horse is transpo, plus no grass to cut

Chester32141

• friend
« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2010, 10:19:44 PM »
I've been considering getting one of these http://www.campingsurvival.com/kattrkdripfi.html to handle my water needs should the need arise ... any idea if this is a good one ?
"The best argument against democracy is a 5 minute conversation with the average voter...... "

Photos
CBs Hawg Sauce

• friends
« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2010, 10:24:17 PM »
it must be good!  i've been think of that one myself....  they say the true sign of genius is how closely someone else agrees with you

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2010, 10:27:19 PM »
I've been considering getting one of these http://www.campingsurvival.com/kattrkdripfi.html to handle my water needs should the need arise ... any idea if this is a good one ?

Don't know about that particular model, but Katadyn is a very reputable filter manufacturer.

In "survivalist" speak, I suppose I'm a "prepper".  I keep a couple weeks of grub on hand, a couple cases of bottled water, etc.  Most of my "survivalist" gear is either crap left over from ye olde army days or my hiking kit.  I'm upgrading the quality of my hiking kit as budget permits.  I "prep" for winter storms, losing power during winter or loss of employment. 

I think going overboard on the matter is unwise, unless you're in a really disaster prone area or just find it an interesting hobby.  But to each their own.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
« Reply #45 on: January 06, 2010, 10:29:17 PM »
I watched Apocalypse Man. While I have a lot of respect for Marine Recon folks, what this guy demonstrated & told would get a lot of people killed and/ or injured. I blew holes in a lot of things he suggested that a person do.
" a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand." - Lucius Annaeus

for Military, Vets, & Supporters, check out:
USMILNET

Conservative Discussion Forum

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #46 on: January 06, 2010, 11:05:08 PM »
I do agree on the ol' "72 hour SHTF" preparedness.  I need to do better.

I am most certainly NOT one to romanticize TEOTWAWKI, given things like surgery for my kiddos & such.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #47 on: January 06, 2010, 11:11:29 PM »
Amazing how adding a wife/kids to the mix changes that perspective, innit?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #48 on: January 06, 2010, 11:14:13 PM »
Makes the planning a lot trickier, that's for sure.

• friends
« Reply #49 on: January 06, 2010, 11:15:41 PM »
made me more dangerous to anything i might percieve as a threat to them  or me since i need to take care of them