Author Topic: After Armageddon on History Channel  (Read 12778 times)

brimic

• friends
Re: After Armageddon on History Channel
« Reply #50 on: January 07, 2010, 08:28:57 AM »
I watched Apocalypse Man. While I have a lot of respect for Marine Recon folks, what this guy demonstrated & told would get a lot of people killed and/ or injured. I blew holes in a lot of things he suggested that a person do.

The show reminded me of 'Man vs Wild'
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #51 on: January 07, 2010, 08:55:30 AM »
The show reminded me of 'Man vs Wild'

only in the filming style.   otherwise i have to say that i only agreed with about 30% of what he was doing.  i missd the first few minutes,  did he go into self protection at all?

made me more dangerous to anything i might percieve as a threat to them  or me since i need to take care of them

ditto for me.  it wasn't until i had kids that i thought about having a daily carry piece.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #52 on: January 07, 2010, 09:00:47 AM »
only in the filming style.   otherwise i have to say that i only agreed with about 30% of what he was doing.  i missd the first few minutes,  did he go into self protection at all?

ditto for me.  it wasn't until i had kids that i thought about having a daily carry piece.

I only agree with about 30% of what Bear Bryllis says, too....the man is a showman, and most of what he does would get the average person hurt or killed in a survival situation.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

brimic

• friends
« Reply #53 on: January 07, 2010, 09:16:08 AM »
I only agree with about 30% of what Bear Bryllis says, too....the man is a showman, and most of what he does would get the average person hurt or killed in a survival situation.

Yep and yep.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Sawdust

• friend
« Reply #54 on: January 07, 2010, 11:15:57 AM »
Amazing how adding a wife/kids to the mix changes that perspective, innit?

True dat.

I wasn't "firearm aware" until I had my first child and the parental protector gene suddenly switched on.

That led me to THR in 2001, and the rest is history.

Sawdust
Retain what's coming in; send off what is retreating.

Well, you going to pull those pistols boy,
or just whistle Dixie?

I'm your huckleberry.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #55 on: January 07, 2010, 11:17:29 AM »
My best friend recently had a baby. She's never liked guns, but has considered learning to shoot and carrying since her daughter was born. Naturally I encourage this.  =D
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #56 on: January 07, 2010, 11:20:35 AM »
I wonder how many survivalists know how to clean and cook a chicken?  Or bake a loaf of bread?

We kill, dress, and eat our extra roosters.

My wife has baked our bread since we were married.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #57 on: January 07, 2010, 11:37:47 AM »

Quite. Fortunately, I have enough training that I can recognize the valuable statements and ignore his foolishness. (Jumping into a river and holding onto a log for bouyancy? No thanks.) I do learn about different vegetations and some similar important principles about different environments. 

I find Survivorman much more realistic. (I also note he goes hungry quite often.)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #58 on: January 07, 2010, 11:47:28 AM »
I do learn about different vegetations and some similar important principles about different environments. 

I find Survivorman much more realistic. (I also note he goes hungry quite often.)

That Bear tool takes major risks to escape the environment.  I loved watching him jump from boulder to boulder in Utah.  When you're in a survival situation, you're one broken leg away from a very painful and slow death.  Kind of hard to hike out if you can't walk.

You can go up to and over a month without food.  Water, not so much.  Les Stroud always puts a priority first on water, then somewhat on food.  And makes his escape plan carefully and sensibly (sp?).
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #59 on: January 07, 2010, 11:54:01 AM »
That Bear tool takes major risks to escape the environment.  I loved watching him jump from boulder to boulder in Utah.  When you're in a survival situation, you're one broken leg away from a very painful and slow death.  Kind of hard to hike out if you can't walk.

You can go up to and over a month without food.  Water, not so much.  Les Stroud always puts a priority first on water, then somewhat on food.  And makes his escape plan carefully and sensibly (sp?).

Yeah, I remember watching him climb up a rock cliff and my thoughts were much the same. Les Stroud is far less "extreme" and, as a result, far more real.

I particularly liked the episode where Les tried to simulate a plane wreck and leave one arm tied as though it had been broken. He gave up that broken arm after a day, as I recall.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #60 on: January 07, 2010, 12:02:13 PM »
You can go up to and over a month without food.  Water, not so much.  Les Stroud always puts a priority first on water, then somewhat on food.  And makes his escape plan carefully and sensibly (sp?).
Yours truly.  12 days of not much more than gatorade and chicken broth.  And this was lying in bed, not hiking around.

Feb 14, 2004:

Feb 26, 2004:

In case you are wondering
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #61 on: January 07, 2010, 12:38:06 PM »
Yours truly.  12 days of not much more than gatorade and chicken broth.  And this was lying in bed, not hiking around.

Feb 14, 2004:

Feb 26, 2004:

In case you are wondering

I had a similar end result following a bout with Mono at the end of my junior year of high school.  I dropped to 135# (and I was 6').  Took over a year to get back to 160#.  'Course nowadays I'm trying get back down to 175#. 
Formerly sumpnz

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #62 on: January 07, 2010, 01:02:18 PM »
DVR'd the episode where he's in the west texas desert.  Yeah.  Hiking along pointed at some landmark.  Landscape dips and he loses sight of the landmark.  So he advises to use your shadow angle as a directional guide.  Yeah...sure....how about you pick a short-range landmark instead, there, Bear (until you can see the long range one again)?? 
JD

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #63 on: January 07, 2010, 01:37:34 PM »
My plan if I survive the initial "event" (which if I don't, I'm ready for that as well) is to find Rev and offer my services as medic/ mechanic/ not-stupid-guy-that's-a-decent-shot.  =D
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #64 on: January 07, 2010, 02:29:50 PM »
I watched the 'Apocalypse Man' episode last night.  At age 50, there is no way in heck I am going to be bounding up walls like that guy can.  I liked the idea of using a floor pump as a giant syringe to extract fuel from underground tanks. 

I have often thought that a pretty good post-Apocalypse vehicle will be a full-suspension mountain bike.  It can carry some decent loads, is low-profile, can go almost anywhere and maintenance will be simple. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #65 on: January 07, 2010, 04:11:28 PM »
I watched the 'Apocalypse Man' episode last night.  At age 50, there is no way in heck I am going to be bounding up walls like that guy can.  I liked the idea of using a floor pump as a giant syringe to extract fuel from underground tanks. 

I have often thought that a pretty good post-Apocalypse vehicle will be a full-suspension mountain bike.  It can carry some decent loads, is low-profile, can go almost anywhere and maintenance will be simple. 

I'd go with a rigid framed bike, as they are lighter and easier to carry, with less moving parts to maintain/break.
JD

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #66 on: January 07, 2010, 04:43:32 PM »
I'd go with a rigid framed bike, as they are lighter and easier to carry, with less moving parts to maintain/break.

True, except that my thought was that the suspension may come in handy when moving a loaded-down bike over rough terrain.  I wonder if a hardtail would be a good compromise.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #67 on: January 07, 2010, 05:16:48 PM »
there high as all get out, but the bombadil is the bike(frame) i have been looking at for awhile now(will probably never get one though) [tinfoil]

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #68 on: January 07, 2010, 05:38:51 PM »
After the Apocalypse, I suspect that Rivendell and Surly frames will survive, much like the cockroach.  Out of curiosity, how long would a contemporary bicycle tire survive before the rubber rots or becomes otherwise unusable?  Say that the tire is indoors, and thus protected from the UV and heat of sunlight. 

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #69 on: January 07, 2010, 06:02:17 PM »
much longer than you think [popcorn] just remember to wash it off before riding [tinfoil]

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #70 on: January 07, 2010, 07:50:58 PM »
True, except that my thought was that the suspension may come in handy when moving a loaded-down bike over rough terrain.  I wonder if a hardtail would be a good compromise.

For ease of maintenence and repair, I'd still go the straight fork route.  With braze ons for the front racks.
There are certainly hundreds of millions of bicycles in circulation, though, which would mean that you could fix just about anything with the right scavenged parts.

Out of curiosity, how long would a contemporary bicycle tire survive before the rubber rots or becomes otherwise unusable?  Say that the tire is indoors, and thus protected from the UV and heat of sunlight. 

Several years I'd imagine.  Thats one thing to consider having saved away somewhere, some spare tires.....but you can't leave them out in high/low temperatures, though....

This is my kind of thread veer.... [popcorn]
JD

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #71 on: January 07, 2010, 09:02:39 PM »
True, except that my thought was that the suspension may come in handy when moving a loaded-down bike over rough terrain.  I wonder if a hardtail would be a good compromise.
Suspension wouldn't work right when loaded down.  It'd be the cycling equivalent of Brad's new truck.

I'm with Jamis on the solid bike.  Better hauling capacity, simpler, lighter to carry when needed, etc.  

One o' them thar Xtracycle thingies might be just about perfect.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 11:24:48 PM by Headless Thompson Gunner »

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 09:19:11 PM by MillCreek »

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #73 on: January 07, 2010, 10:33:10 PM »
since there are no cars on the roads(if there are roads [tinfoil] ) i'm going recumbent  =D

http://bicycletouringpro.com/blog/why-would-anyone-want-to-ride-a-recumbent-bike/

http://www.getitbent.com/

little harder to mount racks though :angel:

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #74 on: January 07, 2010, 10:54:01 PM »
I've got a rack on the back of my Vision R-40.  Holds a pair of paniers just fine.  I can fit a bike lock, full change of winter office clothes, lunch and a liter thermos of tea in a standard pair.  Would be easy as any other bike to stack more on the back of it.

Now I just need a job to ride that bike to.
Formerly sumpnz