Author Topic: Japanese ship deliberately rams the Ady Gil  (Read 50626 times)

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
Re: Japanese ship deliberately rams the Ady Gil
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2010, 12:18:42 PM »
so what does the insurance policy say about parking the escalade on the train tracks of fate?
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Cromlech

• friend
  • English bloke
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2010, 12:23:13 PM »
The second video posted makes it seem like the big boat was getting very close, but going to miss them - possibly to scare them - but then the little boat moves forward at the last minute.
When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

alex_trebek

• friend
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2010, 12:51:10 PM »
The second video posted makes it seem like the big boat was getting very close, but going to miss them - possibly to scare them - but then the little boat moves forward at the last minute.

Hard to say anything about true intentions, I suppose. All I know is if I have the right of way in a semi and a smart car pulls out in front of me, I wouldn't too terribly concerned for my safety.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2010, 12:56:20 PM »
Uh, you might want to look at the other video posted by the guy who posted the Sea Shepherd video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dXCR9LX-Kc&feature=channel

It is much closer and more detailed.

The Bat Boat only appears to be stationary in the video you linked due to perspective.  The second video shows they accelerated into the Jap Boat.  The wake tells all.  They were moving the entire time and then turned on the steam as the Jap Boat approached.

Was it intentional on the part of the eco-pirates?  Not sure, as I certainly wouldn't rule out stupidity.

Frankly, I have little sympathy for the eco-pirates, as they admit trying to cripple the Jap boats by tangling their props and leave them unable to move in the sea.  As mentioned, that is a good way to end up sunk, when at sea.

Scientific, commercial, flippers, hooves...who cares?  Meat is meat.

Holy shinola!  Trying to effing blind the Jap crew!?  Screw the eco-pirates, I can say that I would view that as a clear threat and done my level best to meet deadly force with deadly force.  Lose the water cannons & bring on the quad-mount Ma Deuces.  

IMO, the eco-pirates deserve everything that can be brought to bear on them, form hot lead to cold steel.

That is exactly what I saw in the CNN Video.

It is clear (at least to me), the whaler turned to port (away from) the Ady Gill, and the high performance, carbon fiber, built to challenge the record for the quickest circumnavigation of the globe and can travel faster than 46 mph (75 kph), accelerated (look at the wake) in front of the whaler.

I've watched "Whale Wars" a few times, and those people are just morons with money.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Cromlech

• friend
  • English bloke
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2010, 01:12:27 PM »
On a slightly related note, I want this:

When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

jackdanson

• friend
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2010, 01:25:27 PM »
From the videos it looked like they rammed EACHOTHER.  Like the hippies were trying to block their path and the japanese turned into them.  I call idiocy on both sides.

If groups of people were going through national forests out of season and harvesting loads of deer, screwing up the populations, I doubt people here would have the same reaction.  Obviously the UN isn't going to do anything about this.  The whalers are doing something illegal that the whole world frowns upon... the econuts are just trying to get attention to their cause and it seems to be working... can't say I feel bad for the Japanese poachers who get gassed/lasered/etc.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: Japanese ship of deliberately rams the Ady Gil
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2010, 01:50:08 PM »
They missed the cabin.  That makes me sad.

The fact is that the sea shepard people have put lives in danger in the past with thier antics and are nothing but eco terrorists.  Tangling the propellers of a ship at sea could leave it at the mercy of the sea and thusly puts the lives of the crew in danger.  Throwing objects onto the deck of a ship?  Yep, dangerous and could injure and kill crewmembers.  
They deserve to be treated as pirates and run down by the larger ship.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

myrockfight

« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2010, 01:56:41 PM »
From the videos it looked like they rammed EACHOTHER.  Like the hippies were trying to block their path and the japanese turned into them.  I call idiocy on both sides.

If groups of people were going through national forests out of season and harvesting loads of deer, screwing up the populations, I doubt people here would have the same reaction.  Obviously the UN isn't going to do anything about this.  The whalers are doing something illegal that the whole world frowns upon... the econuts are just trying to get attention to their cause and it seems to be working... can't say I feel bad for the Japanese poachers who get gassed/lasered/etc.

Actually, I would have the EXACT SAME reaction. The whalers are exploiting a well-known and publicized LOOPHOLE IN THE LAW. Do I think they are operating within the spirit of the whaling agreement they signed. No. Does that bother me. Yes. Does that give anyone the right to potentially kill someone/endanger the lives of all involved with the collision? No.

I don't like what the Japanese whaling companies are doing. But they are getting away with it because there weren't any limits imposed on "research" harvesting. I'm in too much of a hurry to find the agreement. But you can look it up somewhere. I've read it. They are exploiting the law. And that loophole needs to be closed. Simple as that. Putting people's lives in danger, isn't the answer. These guys are blow-hard hippies, who got a little too excited about getting the keys to daddy's boat. The "Whale Wars" show their actions are quite ridiculous.

I hope they get punished to the full extent of maritime law.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2010, 01:58:35 PM »
Oh, and the Ady Gil crew is at fault.  Its smaller and much more maneuverable.  You can't just put your boat in the way of a much larger boat and expect it to change course.  Gross tonnage 101.  
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2010, 02:22:20 PM »
My dad always taught us that if it's bigger than you, it has the right if way.

That said. The folks in the bat boat are Tards. And should be treated as pirates, who are Tards.
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2010, 02:25:37 PM »
Oh, and the Ady Gil crew is at fault.  Its smaller and much more maneuverable.  You can't just put your boat in the way of a much larger boat and expect it to change course.  Gross tonnage 101. 

Rules of the road too. Least maneuverable craft has the right of way.

JDF should be out there with a frigate and the 37mm cannon. I don't think much of whaling, but a lot less of pirates.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

richyoung

• friend
  • bring a big gun
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2010, 02:36:16 PM »
...this is just like when that mean old P3 oriion chased doiwn & rammed that heroic chinese fighter plane....
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't...

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2010, 03:11:16 PM »
If groups of people HSUS/PETA/et.al. were going through national forests out of during open season and harvesting loads stopping the hunting of deer, screwing up the populations, I doubt people here would have the same reaction.  

FTFY.

These idiots are no different than the HSUS types that go into the woods banging pots, swooping on hunters with ultralights, and otherwise doing everything, regardless of legality, they can to interrupt hunting just becuase they don't like it.

Obviously the UN isn't going to do anything about this.  The whalers are doing something illegal that the whole world frowns upon... the econuts are just trying to get attention to their cause and it seems to be working...

They are not doing anything illegal.  They are, as previously pointed out, exploiting a loophole in a treaty.  They could "unsign" and then do all the whaling they wanted without the pretense of research so long as they stayed in international waters.  So what if the rest of the world frowns on it.  If they don't like it they can levy sanctions or prevent Japanese ships from entering their terrortial waters.

can't say I feel bad for the Japanese poachers who get gassed/lasered/etc.
So you support the use of tacticts that could legitmately be charged as aggrivated assault at a minimum in most US courts?  Just to stop an activity that is lawful because you find it somewhat distasteful?

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2010, 03:23:15 PM »
Shocking, to say the least, if it's true that the enviro-sailors' ship was deliberately rammed.

Attempted murder is not justifiable to support the illegal whaling racket.  That vessel ought to be arrested and its crew charged on the facts available.
So defending against pirates is attempted murder? These enviroweeinies come out there, throw hazardous materials onto the deck of other boats, get in their way, and do their best to disable them in one of the most inhospitable areas of the ocean. I seem to remember last year where the Sea Sheppard rammed a whaling ship also.

Were they to succeed in this and other ships were not available to rescue the crew they would be in SERIOUS trouble. Whether you agree with whaling or not, or if these whalers were doing so illegally, it hardly warrants a potential death sentence, vandalism, and aggravated assault. It's only a matter of time before one of these idiots gets killed or kills someone on one of the Japanese ships.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2010, 03:33:36 PM »
In addition to their piracy at the high seas, Sea Shepherd have been under suspicion of placing limpet mines on ships in ports around the world as well, as well as performing other acts of sabotage.
IMO, both the whalers (eco-marauders) and Sea Shepherd (eco-terrorists) can sink to the bottom of the ocean for all I care.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2010, 03:43:24 PM »
In addition to their piracy at the high seas, Sea Shepherd have been under suspicion of placing limpet mines on ships in ports around the world as well, as well as performing other acts of sabotage.

LIMPET MINES?! ??? ???
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Viking

• friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2010, 03:52:22 PM »
LIMPET MINES?! ??? ???
A couple of Spanish whalers that sank after mysterious explosions according to the Wiki article about Sea Shepherd.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

brimic

• friends
« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2010, 04:42:29 PM »
A couple of Spanish whalers that sank after mysterious explosions according to the Wiki article about Sea Shepherd.

The end always justifies the means to lefties- whether it means sinking a few ships or starving a few hundred million people to death. :mad:
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2010, 04:44:13 PM »
LIMPET MINES?! ??? ???

I guess they're thinking back to the French Frogmen (no pun intended) and Rainbow Warrior.

I promise not to duck.

jackdanson

• friend
« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2010, 04:46:00 PM »
IMO, both the whalers (eco-marauders) and Sea Shepherd (eco-terrorists) can sink to the bottom of the ocean for all I care.

agreed.

These idiots are no different than the HSUS types that go into the woods banging pots, swooping on hunters with ultralights, and otherwise doing everything, regardless of legality, they can to interrupt hunting just becuase they don't like it.

Yes, because hunting endangered/threatened species is the exact same thing as hunting deer.  I'm just saying the Japanese aren't "good guys" here.  Neither are the econuts.

myrockfight

« Reply #45 on: January 06, 2010, 04:49:41 PM »
Dude. Limpit mines!? WTF?! Wow. That is interesting. Haven't heard that one. I wonder if they'll ever be able to pin that on the responsible party. (Trying not to assume responsibility.)

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #46 on: January 06, 2010, 04:55:53 PM »
Found another video on another forum.

You can CLEARLY see that the bat boat powers up and got right into the whaling ship as it is angled away from the boat, about 55 seconds in. Later in the same video he claims the bat boat went in REVERSE to try and get out of the way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Brw6JN0lQXY
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #47 on: January 06, 2010, 05:04:32 PM »
People who hunt intelligent and endangered higher mammals under the guise of 'research'.

Vs.

Self aggrandizing eco-terrorists.

I see no winner here.

You're saying whales are intelligent higher mammals?  ???
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Viking

• friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #48 on: January 06, 2010, 05:12:54 PM »
I guess they're thinking back to the French Frogmen (no pun intended) and Rainbow Warrior.

Nope, the article on Wiki cites a few incidents in Spain in 1980. Rainbow Warrior was in 1985.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #49 on: January 06, 2010, 05:25:10 PM »
Yes, because hunting endangered/threatened species is the exact same thing as hunting deer.  I'm just saying the Japanese aren't "good guys" here.  Neither are the econuts.

Which species of whale were the Japs angling for?  Not all species of whales are endangered, you know. 

If I were the Japanese, I'd just void the damnfool treaty and whale away.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton